• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

John Gruden

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

The rumor mill is running ramped that John Gruden is being heavily recruited by UT. There is an article on this topic at espn.com, but it is an "In" article which I am not privy to. If in fact John Gruden even has a slight interest in coaching college football, I would sincerely hope that our administration would do everything in its power to at the very least speak with him about his interest in being the next head coach at USF. I know this is probably a pipe dream, considering the money it would take to land him here, assuming he even has an interest in coaching at the college level. However, it is worth a shot at a local guy who is a proven leader and well respected throughout the football ranks.

JG is holding out for the Dallas Cowboys... last time I checked I think that Dallas can easily out spend ANY college program.

Also didn't JG say one time that he would NEVER coach college football because he hates young kids?

LOL ...... wait, you're not serious, are you?

I am serious... I remember hearing him say that he prefers veterans over rookies, and because of that he would never coach a college program.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

He seemed to really enjoy coaching the elite college qbs. I watched him on ESPN, and unless he is a great actor, it seemed to me at least like a real natural fit for him. I never heard him say he wasn't interested in coaching at the college level. I have no doubt that the AD at UT has contacted him. He may have said go pound sand or he may have heard the AD out. I also do not think Gruden would coach at UT for some of the same reasons addressed above, i.e. uprooting his family. Far fetched, but a fan can dream.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

Gruden reportedly turned down a $6 million per year offer from the University of TinyC. Jon's wife was a cheerleader at UT and her entire family still lives in Knoxsville. He's never going to coach USF.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Gruden reportedly turned down a $6 million per year offer from the University of TinyC. Jon's wife was a cheerleader at UT and her entire family still lives in Knoxsville. He's never going to coach USF.

I agree, with a caveat. Money isn't going to be his decision. Ego would be the only thing that drives him from the both back to a sideline. He'll make enough money no matter where he goes.

only reason I see him coming to college would be to prove he could win at this level also. But I don't really see that is something he is going to view as a major challenge he should accomplish. Of course taking a program and bringing them to national prominence from the dust would be the ultimate achievement if he did decide he wanted to prove something.

But again, I don't see it

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  397
  • Days Won:  0

The rumor mill is running ramped that John Gruden is being heavily recruited by UT. There is an article on this topic at espn.com, but it is an "In" article which I am not privy to. If in fact John Gruden even has a slight interest in coaching college football, I would sincerely hope that our administration would do everything in its power to at the very least speak with him about his interest in being the next head coach at USF. I know this is probably a pipe dream, considering the money it would take to land him here, assuming he even has an interest in coaching at the college level. However, it is worth a shot at a local guy who is a proven leader and well respected throughout the football ranks.

Well...If your scenario actually has any basis in reality or a shred of truth to it (which I doubt), where would Gruden want to be,

USF or Texas?

You really think that would be a difficult choice?

Edited by Plantation Pete

I'll say it again: I can't take your "next USF head coach" suggestion seriously if you don't know how to spell your guy's name correctly.

He doesn't know the difference between ramped and rampant either.

Not if this is all true.

I'll say it again: I can't take your "next USF head coach" suggestion seriously if you don't know how to spell your guy's name correctly.

It must be nice to have all the time in the world to dedicate a post about someone else's typo. Some people need to get a life.

It must be nice to have all the time in the world to dedicate a post about someone else's typo. Some people need to get a life.

It wasn't a typo.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

IF Gruden were to coach a college team then it would be something to fit his ego which would be a Notre Dame, Texas, USC, Penn State, Bama, Florida, or some big name school like that.

While I think that USF is a big name school and I'm a Tampa native like Gruden, it does not mean that Johnny Boy is gonna agree with me.

No way Gruden comes here or any other college team... he is going to the Dallas Cowboys after this season... book it.