• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Am I the only one?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I think Shoops point was that 2007 inflated our own fans expectations so high that they believe its reasonable to dump a coach after 3 years like we are some top 5 caliber program who hit the skids.

We are closer to the 8-5 teams that we've become accustom to.

He's not asking you to like Skip. Or be happy with this hell hole of a season. No one should be happy with the way things are going.

If the team was going 6-6 and 3-4 or 4-3 in conference, with signs that the team was improving I don't think many would be as vocal about needing a new coach.

But the facts are that we were 3-4 the first year, 1-6 last year and have lost our first 2 this in games we should have won. We have won 1 BE game in the last 12, we haven't won against an FBS team at home in almost 14 months. We are last or close to last in the country in several statistical categories. Our defense has already given up 2 performances that rank in the bottom 5 in program history this year.

Every team will go through a season where they don't reach a bowl. Right now there seems to be no turnaround in sight.

Our 2007 set the tone, basically for a mediocre program. Now, we can't even achieve that and are still headed in the wrong direction. At $2.5 mill a year the expectations should at least mediocrity. $2.5 mill a year should buy at least a low level bowl and a reason for hope. Right now the fan base is disillusioned. The team isn't even a fun product to watch.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

I think Shoops point was that 2007 inflated our own fans expectations so high that they believe its reasonable to dump a coach after 3 years like we are some top 5 caliber program who hit the skids.

We are closer to the 8-5 teams that we've become accustom to.

He's not asking you to like Skip. Or be happy with this hell hole of a season. No one should be happy with the way things are going.

And I don't think he was suggesting Skip get a lifetime contract ... just to make as sure, as sure as you can with stuff like this, that that he can't at least duplicate the success he had at ECU before switching. I'm thinking he gets next year minimum .... although there may be a mandate about assistant coaches in the background.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

A quick peruse of the 1st page today, and everyone is on the "FIRE EVERYONE THEY'RE ALL THE WORST COACHES IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL" bandwagon.

I think that 2007 was the worst thing that could happen to this program.

Expectations were raised SO high and were completely unrealistic. Since that 5-0 start, fans and media alike have been trying to put USF back on that level, when the players on the field have not peformed at the level to warrant it..........not even close. They've competed at the level that their talent and coaching were capable of, which is not what fans and media expected, and therefore created a huge, fake sense of disappointment.

The fans and media following this program have been watching FSU, UF, and UM play at such an elite level for such a long period of time, that it has become.....normal. USF football is proof that it is NOT normal and it is NOT easy to reach that level, much less maintain it. It's a huge uphill climb to reach that level, and you must. be. patient. when. climbing. that. mountain.

- We've never had a top level recruiting class, so how does anyone expect to have a championship level team?

- We've never had a 2nd string that pushed the 1st string for playing time, so how does anyone expect to be able to withstand injuries over a long season?

- We've never had the money to spend on top level assistant(and head) coaching, so how does anyone expect individual players, individual groups of players, and the entire team to be coached and perform in a smart, efficient, mistake-free way?

- We've never had an truly unstoppable, marquee player, on either side of the ball, who could take over a football game.

- We've ony had 1 Quarterback in the history of the program, and it's no coincidence that he led our team to it's best season.

What needs to be done to "fix" the apparent problems? I don't know. How it needs to be handled though, is obvious to me: patience.

i agree with 1 and 2

we have had a couple of good qbs we could win with

andre hall was a marque player

davis is a marque player now

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Shoop, like Trip said logic has little to do with this board. Some like to point to stats to try to say that certain players are great, but in the next sentence, bad mouth the coaches that called the plays allowing them to gain the yards. No matter what Skip or anyone else on the coaching staff says they will not be happy. Hell, I'd bet $$ to donuts that if he resigned those same people that want him fired would call him a quitter and say that he abandoned his team.

The funniest thing on this board has been people like you or the OP who use strawman after strawman in attempt to make the fans on this board seem unreasonable or ignorant

We didn't need to make some of them look that way. There was no straw man needed. They did a fine job all by themselves talking about wearing bags and the program spiraling downward after the ******* 3rd game of the season. We're halfway through what's been a train wreck of a season so far. It's not often that coaches are let go after just one train wreck, much less 1/4 or even 1/2 a train wreck so unreasonable and ignorant is a pretty accurate description. I believe the strongest message out of Shoop's post was patience ... he should have known better.

5-7 is **** close to a train wreck.

It was a lot closer to our usual 7-5.

7-5 the year before was certainly not above expectations.

Who said it was? The only comments I ever heard in that vein was that some were relieved that we didn't take a step back that year.

programs' like ours have to build for an experienced team once every 4 or 5 years. This was his year to proive he was right for the job. we don't reload but we should expect to conted for a league title when we have 16 returning starters, 24 seniors and a 4 year starting QB.

Don't you think a coach should at least get a chance to do that with his own players? That's probably a question a new coach considering the opening would have, don't you think?

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Shoop, like Trip said logic has little to do with this board. Some like to point to stats to try to say that certain players are great, but in the next sentence, bad mouth the coaches that called the plays allowing them to gain the yards. No matter what Skip or anyone else on the coaching staff says they will not be happy. Hell, I'd bet $$ to donuts that if he resigned those same people that want him fired would call him a quitter and say that he abandoned his team.

The funniest thing on this board has been people like you or the OP who use strawman after strawman in attempt to make the fans on this board seem unreasonable or ignorant

We didn't need to make some of them look that way. There was no straw man needed. They did a fine job all by themselves talking about wearing bags and the program spiraling downward after the ******* 3rd game of the season. We're halfway through what's been a train wreck of a season so far. It's not often that coaches are let go after just one train wreck, much less 1/4 or even 1/2 a train wreck so unreasonable and ignorant is a pretty accurate description. I believe the strongest message out of Shoop's post was patience ... he should have known better.

5-7 is **** close to a train wreck. 7-5 the year before was certainly not above expectations.

programs' like ours have to build for an experienced team once every 4 or 5 years. This was his year to proive he was right for the job. we don't reload but we should expect to conted for a league title when we have 16 returning starters, 24 seniors and a 4 year starting QB.

we will be starting over next year. Patience is fine and I have said he should get 1 possibly 2 more years if he can pull this program out of this nosedive this year but he has shown nothing to suggest he is a coach that can take us to the next level (I mean up obviously- he has shown he can take us down a level). If he loses this team and we finish 1-6 in big east again then I could see us cutting him loose.we have to start over again next year anyway. might as well do it with someone that can piosssibly take us to next level. plenty of coaches have success before their 5th year which is what we are realistically looking at with all the seniors leaving.

If we finish strong and he proves he can turn a team around in the face of adversity then he should get a reprieve but finish at or below last year and he should be gone.

the expectations of our program were never high and that is where our problems started

if usf cant get in a big 5 conference i dont see the point in even maintaining the program.how can you justify paying a guy 2 million and you arent even competing for the big prize

it is ironic that usf stopped playing the orlando school years ago because of ego and that school has passed us by------

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  397
  • Days Won:  0

5-7 is **** close to a train wreck. 7-5 the year before was certainly not above expectations.

we will be starting over next year. Patience is fine and I have said he should get 1 possibly 2 more years if he can pull this program out of this nosedive this year but he has shown nothing to suggest he is a coach that can take us to the next level (I mean up obviously- he has shown he can take us down a level). If he loses this team and we finish 1-6 in big east again then I could see us cutting him loose.we have to start over again next year anyway. might as well do it with someone that can piosssibly take us to next level. plenty of coaches have success before their 5th year which is what we are realistically looking at with all the seniors leaving.

If we finish strong and he proves he can turn a team around in the face of adversity then he should get a reprieve but finish at or below last year and he should be gone.

the expectations of our program were never high and that is where our problems started

if usf cant get in a big 5 conference i dont see the point in even maintaining the program.how can you justify paying a guy 2 million and you arent even competing for the big prize

it is ironic that usf stopped playing the orlando school years ago because of ego and that school has passed us by------

If you think UCF has passed USF by just wait until they hire Leavitt.

• Content Count:  370

Ya RIGHT! funny

• Content Count:  397

Ya RIGHT! funny

You laugh like Old Joe Biden, but O'Leary is 66 and has an up and down .500 record. Don't shoot me, I'm just reporting things I'm hearing.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Trip, if you're saying last year's 5-7 was almost 7-5, the year before's 7-5 was almost 5-7. Works both ways.

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  370

Ya RIGHT! funny

You laugh like Old Joe Biden, but O'Leary is 66 and has an up and down .500 record. Don't shoot me, I'm just reporting things I'm hearing.

Funny again