• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Good Read....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/usf-bulls-coach-skip-holtz-understands-fans-frustration/1255360

"Asked if his changes during the bye week could involve any reassignment of coaching duties among his assistants, Holtz didn't rule that out. "Those are all things we have to evaluate," he said."

I hope this means Cosh is gone, but doubt it.

When reading this article, I keep getting flash backs about his excuses for losing our games last season...we were one or two plays away from being....UGHHHHH.

Happy Greg asked him if he feels his job is in jeopardy. Wish the administration had some balls and would have spoken to him about his performance and the fact that they don't give extensions and pay good money for this performance (despite the fact that they clearly do (i.e. see contract extension for Skip Holtz through 2017). Then again, who knows what is really said behind closed doors.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I'd put cosh on filling the gatoraid and water coolers, but then the players would probably die of dehydration

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Yeah, too important of a job for him. Perhaps demote him to towel boy.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  293
  • Days Won:  1

" Asked about the play when senior QB B.J. Daniels had his helmet ripped off with enough force to fly across the field, Holtz didn't question the absence of a face mask penalty but said he was glad there wasn't any significant injury. "I think it's scary. It's really scary to have your helmet ripped off with that speed and velocity," Holtz said. "Thank goodness it came off. If it didn't, he could have been severely injured. I thought that's what all these new rules were in place to do, to protect the defenseless player."

That play was absolutely ridiculous, and the way Skip handled it was even worse.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

This penalty could have been huge.

Penalty would have helped keep our drive going, but luckily, the fumble ultimately cost us nothing because the guy missed the FG.

The problem goes back to the defense. We got the ball back, pinned them deep and then give up a drive and long field goal.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

For those that don't know the coaching assignments now:

OC/QB - Todd Fitch

RB - Larry Scott

TE - Peter Vaas

OL- Steve Shankweiler

WR - Jerome Pathon

DC/LB- Chris Cosh

DT- Kevin Patrick

DE- Vernon Hargreaves

DB- Rick Smith

Special teams coordinator - Vernon Hargreaves

Also, skip said about 5 coaches are involved with special teams right now.

For those that don't know the coaching assignments now:

OC/QB - Todd Fitch

RB - Larry Scott

TE - Peter Vaas

OL- Steve Shankweiler

WR - Jerome Pathon

DC/LB- Chris Cosh

DT- Kevin Patrick

DE- Vernon Hargreaves

DB- Rick Smith

Special teams coordinator - Vernon Hargreaves

Also, skip said about 5 coaches are involved with special teams right now.

A couple of questions:

1. What actually does Vaas do?

I think we have thrown a total of 5 passes to the TEs all year. Several of Landies receptions have come when he lined up as a receiver.

2. Is it really necessary to have a DE coach and a DL coach, but no LB only coach? Perhaps one DL coach will bring a more cohesive unit.

Maybe Cosh should let someone else worry about the LBs during the week and concentrate on managing the defense as a whole.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Vaas was moved to TE coach in the offseason from being the co-QB coach. Larry Scott was moved from TE coach to RB coach in the offseason. Fitch was with both QBs and RBs and is now only the QB.

So I'm not sure what they will do on offense as the coaches were shuffled around already.

As for what any assistant does they need to coach their positions during the week, manage personnel on Gameday and recruit. You can suck at one of these and still be worthwhile to a staff. Not sure what Vaas specifically is good at since I don't think he's a good recruiter and the TEs are something of a mess.

Vaas was moved to TE coach in the offseason from being the co-QB coach. Larry Scott was moved from TE coach to RB coach in the offseason. Fitch was with both QBs and RBs and is now only the QB.

So I'm not sure what they will do on offense as the coaches were shuffled around already.

As for what any assistant does they need to coach their positions during the week, manage personnel on Gameday and recruit. You can suck at one of these and still be worthwhile to a staff. Not sure what Vaas specifically is good at since I don't think he's a good recruiter and the TEs are something of a mess.

Thanks. I know what they do. Lol. I just don't really know what Vaas does or, as you put it better than I did, what he is good at.