• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FOX pre-season Football ratings

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

Fox uses College Football News for its stuff...

But they rank all 119 I-A teams...

79. South Florida  2004 Record: 4-7   Big East

The offense has Andre Hall and his 6.5 yard-per-carry average to build around, but things won't be much better unless QB Pat Julmiste can be more consistent. The loss of solid linemen like Derrick Sarosi and Alex Herron will hurt the cause. The defense has to make wholesale changes on the line and in the secondary.

Biggest offensive loss: OT Derrick Sarosi  

Biggest defensive loss: FS Javon Camon

USF's I-A opponents:

7.  Miami 2004 Record: 9-3   ACC

That's two years in a row that Miami hasn't won the national championship. While that's acceptable, losing a home game for the conference title isn't and now there's a nasty attitude around the program. QB Brock Berlin was fine, but he's not irreplaceable so hotshot Kyle Wright will battle Kirby Freeman for one of college football's highest profile gigs. The defense loses CB Antrel Rolle but gets everyone else back. The offense can weather the loss of Frank Gore and Roscoe Parrish.

Biggest offensive loss: RB Frank Gore  

Biggest defensive loss: CB Antrel Rolle

24. Louisville  2004 Record: 11-1   Big East

Louisville enters Big East play as the likely favorite, but don't buy the hype that this is a preseason top ten team even though more than enough talent returns to expect another huge year. Who did the Cardinals beat in 2004? Boise State? North Carolina? Exactly. This will be a strong team, but not an elite one after the loss of WR J.R. Russell, QB Stefan LeFors, RB Eric Shelton, DE Marcus Jones and LB Robert McCune. QB Brian Brohm will be the Big East's newest star and should put up big-time numbers.

Biggest offensive loss: RB Eric Shelton  

Biggest defensive loss: LB Robert McCune

28. Pittsburgh  2004 Record: 8-4   Big East

Dave Wannstedt inherits a beauty of a team ready to repeat as Big East champions. QB Tyler Palko is one of the nation's fieriest competitors and Greg Lee will be in the hunt for the Biletnikoff. Nine starters return on offense that will hope to add top-talent WR Princell Brockenbrough to the mix after he sat out with a knee injury. The defense doesn't lose enough to be all that worried.

Biggest offensive loss: OT Rob Petitti  

Biggest defensive loss: DT Vince Crochunis

29. Penn State  2004 Record: 4-7   Big Ten

One of the best unknown stories of 2004 was the Penn State defense that allowed a mere 15.3 points and 291.5 yards per game. Outside of LB Derek Wake, everyone returns to what should be one of the nation's top five defenses. Oh yeah, the offense. The running backs are fine with Austin Scot and Tony Hunt, but they're not going anywhere unless the brutally painful passing game shows up.

Biggest offensive loss: QB Zack Mills  

Biggest defensive loss: LB Derek Wake

53. Syracuse  2004 Record: 6-6   Big East

Is an attitude change all that's needed? New head coach Greg Robinson has more than enough experience to work with on defense while the offense should be O.K. as long as the passing game comes around. The Big East isn't so good that SU can't make the jump up and get into the BCS.

Biggest offensive loss: RB Walter Reyes  

Biggest defensive loss: S Diamond Ferri

54. West Virginia 2004 Record: 8-4   Big East

O.K., O.K., so this is too low for a program that has been consistently strong over the last few years. However, you don't get better by losing most of your top talent. From the graduation of QB Rasheed Marshall and some of the best offensive linemen to the early departure of CB Adam "Pac Man" Jones and WR Chris Henry, this should be a rebuilding year.

Biggest offensive loss: QB Rasheed Marshall  

Biggest defensive loss: CB Adam Jones

56. Connecticut  2004 Record: 8-4   Big East

The blowout bowl win over Toledo cemented UConn as a top D-I program, and it'll now be Randy Edsall's job to maintain the high level despite the loss of QB Dan Orlovsky and some heart-and-soul defensive players who helped define the program over the last few years.

Biggest offensive loss: QB Dan Orlovsky  

Biggest defensive loss: LBs Alfred Fincher & Maurice Lloyd

85. Cincinnati  2004 Record: 7-5   Big East

Name any Bearcat who did anything in 2004 and he's probably gone. The Bearcats lose almost everyone off the defense with the top eight defensive players gone including pass rushing terror Trent Cole and top linebacker Jamar Enzor. The offense loses record-setting QB Gino Guidugli and almost the entire line along with RB Richard Hall. Welcome to the Big East.

Biggest offensive loss: QB Gino Guidugli  

Biggest defensive loss: DE Trent Cole

86. Rutgers  2004 Record: 4-7   Big East

The offense has the backfield but nothing else losing most of the line. The defense will be just as big a problem losing most of the line and top tackler Jarvis Johnson from the secondary. On the plus side, the rushing tandem of Brian Leonard and Justise Hairston will be one of the Big East's best and QB Ryan Hart is coming off a big yardage year.

Biggest offensive loss: OG John Glass  

Biggest defensive loss: SS Jarvis Johnson

101. UCF  2004 record: 0-11  Conference USA

After being a gigantic bust since joining the MAC, George O'Leary's boys head off to Conference USA. An 0-11 2004 is ugly no matter how many ways you slice it, but there were some close games that could've gone the right way with a little more offense. Enough experience returns to expect a much better season. It couldn't be worse.

Biggest offensive loss: RB Alex Haynes  

Biggest defensive loss: LB Gerren Bray

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

man

if we don't beat expectations i think leavitt will be gone

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

man

if we don't beat expectations i think leavitt will be gone

I don't see it that way.  We have a tough tough schedule.  I don't think anybody can really expect a much better record from last season.

Anything more than 4 wins with this schedule is gravy.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212

Julmiste? Don't think so!

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  1,400

i think 5 wins is about right with this schedule

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

I don't see it that way.  We have a tough tough schedule.  I don't think anybody can really expect a much better record from last season.

Anything more than 4 wins with this schedule is gravy.

Your both might be close to the truth, if Leavitt doesn't meet realistic expectations this year he just might face the axe. I'm not exactly sure what the expectations of those in charge are however I'll take a shot and guess that it won't be record as much as a very noticeable improvement in the offense. Since he decided to keep all the coaches after two abysmal years his fate could be in their hands IMO.

Guest S.  Bien

Your both might be close to the truth, if Leavitt doesn't meet realistic expectations this year he just might face the axe. I'm not exactly sure what the expectations of those in charge are however I'll take a shot and guess that it won't be record as much as a very noticeable improvement in the offense. Since he decided to keep all the coaches after two abysmal years his fate could be in their hands IMO.

Ludicrous.

Get Leavitt and the offensive coaches the talent, and experience necessary to compete then we can talk.  Until then this is just hogwash.

It's **** amazing the near blasphemy that comes from the mouths of fans.  Especially the ignorant ones.

A bunch of BS.  I almost wish that Leavitt would leave to watch some of you sorry asses writhe, no nothings in pain.  

To put it bluntly, the only thing that will put Leavitt's job at risk is off the field because on the field he has exceeded the expectations of those that know, and understand what he's done, and the adversity he's had to face to achieve it.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

your allowed that opinion and notice I didn't say whether it was right or wrong. However I do believe that if our offense is as horrible as it has been the last couple of years then the fact that not taking corrective action this year will bite him on the ass. I certainly don't want to see Leavitt go anywhere but again I do believe that he has tied his fate to the offensive coaches ability to improve this offense.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

Jim Leavitt will be a coach at USF as long as he wants.  Back to Back 0-11 seasons would NOT mean his job is on the line.

However, if the team is not able to right what has been wrong, then it absolutely will effect things like recruiting, scheduling, ticket sales, donations, etc.

I don't think anyone expects 11-0 next season... we may wish, hope, and pray for it... but if we win the ones we should (Rutgers, Cincy, etc) and hold others close -- that would be the minimum any resonable fan can expect.

When you build a record of overachieving, it becomes hard for people to accept when you come back down to your abilities.

Finally, it is unrealistic to ask fans to reserve judgement until the talent arrives to fit the expectations.  Give a monkey the right talent and it could win a national championship... and just because my name is Jimmy Johnson, that doesn't mean I have any real ability to achieve my namesake's success.  Sometimes, it is about playing the hand you are dealt, and CJL didn't do that as well as he could have in 2004.

JMHO.