• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Interesting thread on Nevada board

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

Throw it.... The kid can stroke it down the field and our 4.3 wrs can run under it

How many of your receivers run in the 4.3/4.4 range? That kind of speed could pose a significant problem for Nevada who has an experienced but not overly fast secondary.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Throw it.... The kid can stroke it down the field and our 4.3 wrs can run under it

How many of your receivers run in the 4.3/4.4 range? That kind of speed could pose a significant problem for Nevada who has an experienced but not overly fast secondary.

We have a legit 4X100 relay team playing for our football team. 3 recievers (Grifin, Mitchell, Hopkins) and one DB (Webster) all run/ran track. Dunkley (another WR) is also up there, as is Lamar (a RB).

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

We have a legit 4X100 relay team playing for our football team. 3 recievers (Grifin, Mitchell, Hopkins) and one DB (Webster) all run/ran track. Dunkley (another WR) is also up there, as is Lamar (a RB).

Dunkley ran track at USF this year. He is faster than Griffin.

FWIW, Hopkins, Griffin and Webster ran the fastest time in the nation in the 4 x 100 when they were in HS together as seniors.

pace4x1-2.jpg

Hopkins and Lamar no doubt run in the 4.3's.

Mitchell, Dunkley, Webster and Aristil could possibly run in the 4.3's, but certainly run in the low 4.4's.

Plus, we have a some other WR's who might run in the 4.4's.

The point is that we have a very deep & speedy WR corps and we should be able to take advantage of that this week.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  312

BJ cannot throw the deep ball consistently... so we can take that off the table... he might hit a couple... but he'll miss enough to make the coaching staff go away from it.

Now for them putting the ball on the ground... that totally plays into the Defense's strengths.

Depends on how much separation our WR's can get. They all run 4.3. If they get behind the secondary and create some space, BJ can hit 50%. That's all that Holtz wants. So long as we don't get intercepted.

I agree with you, that our hard hitting, swarming defense should be able to create fumbles. Hopefully, they will do a better job in recovering them, then what they did last year.

if bj could hit 50% of deep balls

we would throw alot more

smazza... i never thought it would happen.. but.. (I can't believe I'm typing this)...

I Agree

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

BJ cannot throw the deep ball consistently... so we can take that off the table... he might hit a couple... but he'll miss enough to make the coaching staff go away from it.

Now for them putting the ball on the ground... that totally plays into the Defense's strengths.

Depends on how much separation our WR's can get. They all run 4.3. If they get behind the secondary and create some space, BJ can hit 50%. That's all that Holtz wants. So long as we don't get intercepted.

I agree with you, that our hard hitting, swarming defense should be able to create fumbles. Hopefully, they will do a better job in recovering them, then what they did last year.

we would throw alot more

smazza... i never thought it would happen.. but.. (I can't believe I'm typing this)...

I Agree

right it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the play calling.

He averages 20% less yards per attempt under holtz than he did under leavitt.

3 receivers averaged over 17.7 yards per catch under leavitt in BJs first year including griffin at 18.9.Griffin under Holtz last year averaged 12.3.

1 receiver has averaged over 14 yards per catch under holtz and that was bogan in 2010 at 14.6.

leavitt actually had a couple more over 16 ypc but they had less than 10 catches so i didn't include them

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

All pplz saying BJ can't throw the deep ball hasn't watched USF football the past 3+ seasons.

• Upvote 1

we would throw alot more

I Agree

3 receivers averaged over 17.7 yards per catch under leavitt in BJs first year including griffin at 18.9.Griffin under Holtz last year averaged 12.3.

1 receiver has averaged over 14 yards per catch under holtz and that was bogan in 2010 at 14.6.

leavitt actually had a couple more over 16 ypc but they had less than 10 catches so i didn't include them

It also has something to do with who was bailing him out on those passes under leavitt.... Taurus Johnson, Jessie Hester JR (pre injury), Carlton Mitchell, Bogan, AJ Love... no freshman... T-Johnson a clear leader as a Sr. WR.. Hester was a Jr....

come on man... its not all on the coach.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

we would throw alot more

I Agree

To be fair, when C. Mitchell went to the NFL early we didn't have a deep threat to throw to in 2010. 2011 wasn't much better. Griffin came back and Davis stepped up, but we were still a step back at the WR position. This year we are loaded with talent and speed at WR.

There should be a lot more opportunity for the deep ball this year. Similar to having Mitchell in 2009 catching all the bombs from BJ. At least we have the talent for it to happen again.

All pplz saying BJ can't throw the deep ball hasn't watched USF football the past 3+ seasons.

I don't think anyone is saying he CAN'T do it... I think we're saying... he doesn't hit 50% of them.

Show me 1 QB in the NCAA who is throwing better than 50% on balls thrown IN THE AIR over 30 yards.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

I don't think anyone is saying he CAN'T do it... I think we're saying... he doesn't hit 50% of them.

Show me 1 QB in the NCAA who is throwing better than 50% on balls thrown IN THE AIR over 30 yards.

I meant to add "consistently" to my post.