• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Florida State or Miami?

Which would be more important?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

The thing is, If we put one more sword in UM they are done. Another win vs. FSU will humiliate them but they will survive it. I say we go for both but lets make sure we cut the head off of that snake down south.

• Upvote 1

If you want to go to a BCS bowl, both.

Of course defeating both is important-especially if we meet one in a BCS Bowl. But, I think we only need to win our conference in the regular season to get to such a bowl-unless we need an at-large bid.

The Big East OFTEN has co-champs. The higher ranked one goes to the BCS bowl game. Louisville has a head start.

Where did you hear that?

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Of course defeating both is important-especially if we meet one in a BCS Bowl. But, I think we only need to win our conference in the regular season to get to such a bowl-unless we need an at-large bid.

The Big East OFTEN has co-champs. The higher ranked one goes to the BCS bowl game. Louisville has a head start.

Where did you hear that?

I read it. On a poll. Used to calculate the BCS rankings. But after finding the rules on tie breakers it looks like BCS rankings will be what's used in 2014, so until then, its a verbose algorithm to figure out what happens if more than one team ties for the best Big East record. Sometimes its ranking, sometimes its who beats who. http://www.cbssports...tball/rankings

All references to "rankings" refer to the BCS Poll released after the regular season is completed for all BIG EAST members.

TWO-WAY TIE

The winner of the head to head match-up will represent the BIG EAST in the Bowl Championship Series.

THREE-WAY TIE

A "MINI-CONFERENCE" IS CREATED AMONGST THE THREE TIED TEAMS

Scenario I:

All three teams have either a 6-1 or 5-2 record and have each won one game and lost one game against the other tied teams in the mini-conference. In this case, the highest ranked team amongst the three earns the bid. If two of the three teams are tied for the highest ranking, the bid is earned by the team winning the head-to-head match up.

Scenario II:

All three teams have 5-2 records, and within the mini-conference, Team A is 2-0, Team B is 1-1, and Team C is 0-2. Team A earns bid regardless of ranking.

FOUR-WAY TIE

A "MINI-CONFERENCE" IS CREATED AMONGST THE FOUR TIED TEAMS

Scenario I:

In the mini-conference, Teams A & B are 2-1, and Teams C & D are 1-2. The higher ranked of the 2-1 teams earns the bid. If the 2-1 teams tie for the highest ranking, the bid goes to the team that won the head-to-head match up.

Scenario II:

In the mini-conference, Team A is 3-0, Team B is 2-1, Team C is 1-2, and Team D is 0-3. Team A earns bid regardless of ranking.
Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

Where did you hear that?

I read it. On a poll. Used to calculate the BCS rankings. But after finding the rules on tie breakers it looks like BCS rankings will be what's used in 2014, so until then, its a verbose algorithm to figure out what happens if more than one team ties for the best Big East record. Sometimes its ranking, sometimes its who beats who. http://www.cbssports...tball/rankings

All references to "rankings" refer to the BCS Poll released after the regular season is completed for all BIG EAST members.

TWO-WAY TIE

The winner of the head to head match-up will represent the BIG EAST in the Bowl Championship Series.

THREE-WAY TIE

Scenario I:

All three teams have either a 6-1 or 5-2 record and have each won one game and lost one game against the other tied teams in the mini-conference. In this case, the highest ranked team amongst the three earns the bid. If two of the three teams are tied for the highest ranking, the bid is earned by the team winning the head-to-head match up.

Scenario II:

All three teams have 5-2 records, and within the mini-conference, Team A is 2-0, Team B is 1-1, and Team C is 0-2. Team A earns bid regardless of ranking.

FOUR-WAY TIE

Scenario I:

In the mini-conference, Teams A & B are 2-1, and Teams C & D are 1-2. The higher ranked of the 2-1 teams earns the bid. If the 2-1 teams tie for the highest ranking, the bid goes to the team that won the head-to-head match up.

Scenario II:

In the mini-conference, Team A is 3-0, Team B is 2-1, Team C is 1-2, and Team D is 0-3. Team A earns bid regardless of ranking.

Thanks for sharing. It's nice to have clarification on conference tie-breakers.

Where did you hear that?

TWO-WAY TIE

THREE-WAY TIE

Scenario I:

Scenario II:

FOUR-WAY TIE

Scenario I:

Scenario II:

Don't know what

I read it. On a poll.

means, but i knew the general outline of the tiebreakers. As to 2014 and beyond, really don't think all of that is even close to settled yet. it's all part of the Fab 4 and bowl assignment discussions. That stuff is still way up in the air from my understanding. If you know details of how it's being sorted out, would love to read them. Link and source would be helpful.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

FSU, they're rank very high

I was going to say that Apis. But then thought that was how USF dropped from being #2. Beating ranked teams, losing to non-ranked. That's why I said both.

And Bullwinkle, three way and four way ties currently in some situations, the highest ranked team gets the BCS bid. Louisville currently has the most votes in two of the polls used in the BCS formula, hence a head start. That's what I meant, in case there is a co champion situation that relies on rank, Louisville currently is ahead in votes... and technically, lol, we are all currently tied for 1st in the Big East, at 0-0.

A selection committee is going to choose the playoff teams in 2014. Its not going to be conference champion like the Big East wanted, that we know. The Big East will have a conference championship game by then and what if USF is ranked top #5 and loses in the championship to an unranked team? I would think they would still be the highest ranked Big East team and the one most eligible, yet unlikely, to be the one chosen for the playoffs/former BCS bowl games. But in a season where the other 5 conferences beat themselves up, a 1 win Big East team might have a chance if the the other contenders have 3 or more losses. Hey, it could happen, lol. And the Big East Champion would be in a lessor bowl, not the playoffs. That is what I meant.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/62402/playoff-impact-on-big-east

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Obviously both, but that wasn't an option

Obviously both, but that wasn't an option

So I guess as long as Miami is the only loss, its better to beat FSU.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Miami

being 1-1 all time against fsu doesn't seem too bad. We need to settle the score with Miami.