• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Question about coaching...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  432
  • Days Won:  0

So I was wondering about our coaching situation after listening to the radio last night on the way home from work. First, forgive me if this has been discussed already, I am new to this site. So on 98.7 they were playing a recorded interview with Rich Herrera and a writer for CBS sports who covers college football, I apologize that I forget exactly who. Anyway, they were talking about everything college football and touched on the subject of conference realignments and the new playoff system and such. The guy Rich was talking to said that it really comes down to coaching. As long as you have quality coaching you can pretty much win anywhere, in any conference and give your program a chance to beat any team and compete for a national title or at least a big bowl game.

So my question is, do we have the coaching here at USF to build a consistently winning program? We all know Skips past success and his recruting abilities, but is he the guy who can take us where we all want to be? And also, if he is that guy, will USF just be a stepping stone to something bigger for him in the future like some have suggested?

I feel that Skip has a great football IQ but the one thing that bothered me last season was his ability to motivate and correct mistakes after close losses. I felt sometimes he gave the guys a little too much patting on the back after they made obvious mental mistakes late in games. And I feel like we made those same mistakes over, and over, and over.

So if it really is all about coaching like he said, which I'm sure a lot would agree it is, where do we stand right now?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

So I was wondering about our coaching situation after listening to the radio last night on the way home from work. First, forgive me if this has been discussed already, I am new to this site. So on 98.7 they were playing a recorded interview with Rich Herrera and a writer for CBS sports who covers college football, I apologize that I forget exactly who. Anyway, they were talking about everything college football and touched on the subject of conference realignments and the new playoff system and such. The guy Rich was talking to said that it really comes down to coaching. As long as you have quality coaching you can pretty much win anywhere, in any conference and give your program a chance to beat any team and compete for a national title or at least a big bowl game.

So my question is, do we have the coaching here at USF to build a consistently winning program? We all know Skips past success and his recruting abilities, but is he the guy who can take us where we all want to be? And also, if he is that guy, will USF just be a stepping stone to something bigger for him in the future like some have suggested?

I feel that Skip has a great football IQ but the one thing that bothered me last season was his ability to motivate and correct mistakes after close losses. I felt sometimes he gave the guys a little too much patting on the back after they made obvious mental mistakes late in games. And I feel like we made those same mistakes over, and over, and over.

So if it really is all about coaching like he said, which I'm sure a lot would agree it is, where do we stand right now?

I think he can and he will win. I also think he will do it the right way. I'm not a huge fan of his on field conservative coaching style though.

There will always be demand for a good character coach like him. If he wants to move up then he will. He does get paid very good money(top 35) in a great part of the country for a program with realistic expectations though.

I knew he made a decent chunk of change, but I did not know he was in the top 35. Interesting...

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I knew he made a decent chunk of change, but I did not know he was in the top 35. Interesting...

He's pulling in almost $2 million and getting contract extensions after 5-7 seasons.

Doug Woolard thinks Skip can take us there (I do too). I'm hoping that when the Ohio States, Notre Dames, and Alabama's of the world come knocking we'll be paying Skip enough and shown him enough loyalty (see contract extension after 5-7 season) that he sticks it out with us for the long haul.

Well considering he's getting what he is and being unproven in the BE, I would venture to assume if he delivers, and with the university's focus on investing in our athletics, that USF will eventually move him up on that top 35 list. I am definitely hoping that this is the season that Skip proves he was the right choice!

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  293
  • Days Won:  1

I think he will, you can see the development in the players in the past years. They are respectful and don't make as many mistakes on the field. My only dislike is the conservative play, it's good to take what they give you, but sometimes I want an aggresive call here and there.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

If he goes less than 8 wins this season then I don't think he's the guy. Considering our schedule 8 is very doable, and 10 is not out of reach if he is truly great and the team is healthy.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

In my opinion the jury is still out on wether this coaching staff can take the program to the next level.

In the first two years we have seen a lot of the same type of mistakes as we saw with Leavitt's regime. Many clock management mistakes, poor situational play calling. A major regression in all aspects of special teams play.

Many of these issues fall directly on the coaches shoulders.

I believe Holtz's personality made him the right guy to calm the waters, but Holtz and this staff is unproven at the BCS level. I think they have a lot to prove this year.

I agree that a minimum of 8 wins is a very doable goal for Skip and this team this season. I also feel like some of the mistakes mentioned above and the conservative play needs to change in order for 8 - 10 wins to happen. I guess it's still too early to tell, but this season should reveal a lot in my opinion.