• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oakland University

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  393
  • Days Won:  0

Tonight Oakland University (I think it is in Michigan) beat Oral Roberts (the university not the man) in the Mid-Continent Conference championship game. Big deal you say. Well, they were 9-18 heading into the conference tournament and won the whole thing to get an NCAA bid. It will probably be a play in game. If Oakland University can do it why not our basketbulls? GO USF BULLS!!!

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

i'd love to see us do it... but CUSA is no MCC... if we did it, it would be much more spectacular.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  442

When I saw that game all I could think of is "WHY NOT US?"

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

Oakland University (I think it is in Michigan)

Yes, Oakland University is in the suburbs of Detroit

Guest S.  Bien

They didn't have to beat #18 Cinci, and possibly #8 UL to get there.

Everyone on the team would need to be scalding hot for four games.  Highly unlikely.

The sad thing about Oakland getting in is that it means UAB, or Depaul will probably need to get to the CUSA Finals now for CUSA to get four teams in this year.

One of things that makes the NCAA Tourney a bit crappy is that the best teams don't always make it in.  If they scrapped the idea of allowing these tiny minor conferences an auto-bid then it could suddenly make these 16v1, 15v2, and 14v3 games more interesting.

Imagine if Marquette got in over Oakland, and played say Syracuse in a 14v3.  That game would be far more interesting, but then again the fact the little guy has a chance is what the Tourney is all about.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

The Marquette vs Syracuse wouldn't be pretty this year.  Without Diener that team has been lost.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  442

Oakland getting in most likely did not take a bid away from anyone because they said last night the Mid-Con will only get one team in unless ORU gets one which everyone doubts.  The only thing Oakland is guareented is a spot in the play-in game

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Everyone on the team would need to be scalding hot for four games.  Highly unlikely.

The sad thing about Oakland getting in is that it means UAB, or Depaul will probably need to get to the CUSA Finals now for CUSA to get four teams in this year.

One of things that makes the NCAA Tourney a bit crappy is that the best teams don't always make it in.  If they scrapped the idea of allowing these tiny minor conferences an auto-bid then it could suddenly make these 16v1, 15v2, and 14v3 games more interesting.

Imagine if Marquette got in over Oakland, and played say Syracuse in a 14v3.  That game would be far more interesting, but then again the fact the little guy has a chance is what the Tourney is all about.

This is a good argument for a D1AA division in basketball in my opinion.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

A Syracuse-Oakland game is far more interesting to me than Syracuse-Marquette.  I enjoy watching the little guys play heads-up with the power programs.  I could care less about watching a mediocre Marquette team.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

i agree

from the sounds of it you must be very pro bcs

what is wrong with giving some of the smaller conferences a dream?

makes the tourney special IMO

what about valpo making the sweet 16 in the 90's