• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Outsourced two consultants to Negotiate TV deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

University presidents aren't experts in contracts and getting the highest price bid. I like consulting experts who have a history of getting good deals

University presidents aren't experts in contracts and getting the highest price bid. I like consulting experts who have a history of getting good deals

Do you know what a University President does? A large % of their job duties is to negotiate deals and lobby for political items with the government. Dealing with the government is a lot more difficult then sitting down with some NBC executives.

This is just laziness that costs the conference $$... the SEC or Notre Dame didn't bring in consultants to negotiate their cup cake TV deals, they suited up and did it themselves.

i can't tell you how wrong you are...

media deals are insanely complex and if i was commish of the big east... knowing this is the biggest moment in conference history... i'd hire people with a proven track record of success in this arena.

How complex can it be... X amount of $ per game, for this sport, for X amount of years... I **** more complex things then that

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

This has become entertaining.

I did mention it would be comical to let it go on and I was not disappointed.

Watch this.

Anyone making 6 figures who hires anyone to do anything is a rube and a fool. Go.

They're not a rube or fool... but a car salesman on steroids... the rubes and fools are the people that hired someone and paid them 6 figures, then allowed them to outsource their only job duties to someone else while they sit around and play solitaire and scratch their twigs and berries.

yea again, because a University President's only job is to get a sweet TV deal, or a University AD's only job is to get a sweet TV deal.

That is like 0.005% of it and really only a part of it that came about in the last 15 years.

Doug Wollard has more athletic and business connections across this country than you could shake a stick at yet he probably doesn't know a whole lot about how broadcast deals are brokered in 2012. yet there are about 15-20 people who do and probably 10-12 of them work for the networks brokering the deals. so yea, we could use some help.

get over it.

How complex can it be... X amount of $ per game, for this sport, for X amount of years... I **** more complex things then that

ok, enough said. never mind- i realize it isn't worth my time responding to anything you say from this point forward regarding this topic.

Watch this.

Anyone making 6 figures who hires anyone to do anything is a rube and a fool. Go.

They're not a rube or fool... but a car salesman on steroids... the rubes and fools are the people that hired someone and paid them 6 figures, then allowed them to outsource their only job duties to someone else while they sit around and play solitaire and scratch their twigs and berries.

yea again, because a University President's only job is to get a sweet TV deal, or a University AD's only job is to get a sweet TV deal.

That is like 0.005% of it and really only a part of it that came about in the last 15 years.

Doug Wollard has more athletic and business connections across this country than you could shake a stick at yet he probably doesn't know a whole lot about how broadcast deals are brokered in 2012. yet there are about 15-20 people who do and probably 10-12 of them work for the networks brokering the deals. so yea, we could use some help.

get over it.

In a real conference it is the job of the AD's to work together to get a lucrative TV deal... look at the SEC or Big12 for proof of this

Not confused at why so many are surppoting laziness.

So basically there is not one faculty member at any BEast school that could be put to work to negotiate a new TV deal? I guess we have a bunch of toothless rejects from WV teaching ours and every other BEast business course.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Do you know what a University President does? A large % of their job duties is to negotiate deals and lobby for political items with the government. Dealing with the government is a lot more difficult then sitting down with some NBC executives.

This is just laziness that costs the conference $$... the SEC or Notre Dame didn't bring in consultants to negotiate their cup cake TV deals, they suited up and did it themselves.

i can't tell you how wrong you are...

media deals are insanely complex and if i was commish of the big east... knowing this is the biggest moment in conference history... i'd hire people with a proven track record of success in this arena.

do you know how many numbers are crunched?

What DMAs do we offer? Within those DMAs, what are the socioeconomic factors that make them valuable (or not)? What are the historical ratings by team/market? What are the ratings projections for the future? What is the opportunity for a standalone cable network? How many cable subscribers are in each market?

Based on this comment its clear you have no idea what goes into advertising, marketing, market research, media industry....

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Watch this.

get over it.

In a real conference it is the job of the AD's to work together to get a lucrative TV deal... look at the SEC or Big12 for proof of this

Not confused at why so many are surppoting laziness.

So basically there is not one faculty member at any BEast school that could be put to work to negotiate a new TV deal? I guess we have a bunch of toothless rejects from WV teaching ours and every other BEast business course.

No... Nobody at USF is qualified to negotiate multi-billion dollar TV rights deals. Not a single person or team can be assembled at USF to achieve the maximum value.

sure you can throw some folks together but they would get smoked.

just because you ask for help doesn't mean you couldn't do it. it just means that you want to make sure it is done right.

the ADs for the Big East could surely sign a new deal...no question.

the issue here is they want to make sure they get as much leverage as possible and I applaud a man who can set aside his ego to say that he needs to bring in someone who knows more on the subject then he does.

this is exactly what they did. its not that doug and the gang couldn't come to ESPN and get a same sucker type deal that would have us playing on Wed night or waiting until 9 days prior to figure out when the game was going to be or playing the day after Thanksgiving at 11am on a Home Game (like last year against Louisville) but these things are so much more important that it is well worth it to pay X amount of dollars for someone to come on board that will have the knowledge and negotiating powers to get premium dollars for the product.

I think the SEC and the Big12 had a little bit easier road to hoe. this little thing called "supply and demand"

its not laziness i can assure you.

but at the same time, the more you are on tv with guaranteed games the better chance you have at getting better recruits.

what can we offer right now? hey- maybe you will be on espn on Friday night when everyone else from your hometown that knows you is at the high school football game or maybe we can get you on the regional ABC game at noon when everyone is just waking up from the keg party after that friday night football game?

kids want to play on the ABC Saturday NIGHT game or the ABC national broadcast 3:30 game or the ESPN 7pm GAME.

so if these guys can bring that or give us a 7pm NBC game with a 3:30 NBC game then bring us that National audience.

Big East is in Such a unique position but eventually having all 4 time zones within the conference that a national network would love that flexibility.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Can someone get me a "that was easy" jpg?

Watch this.

just because you ask for help doesn't mean you couldn't do it. it just means that you want to make sure it is done right.

Explain to me how this makes any sense... if you can't do it right then you obviously can't do it, thus your unqualified to have the job that you do... if the consultants are so skilled then maybe we should make them our University President.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Things I am qualified to do for myself: mow my own lawn; do my own taxes; manage a rental"that house; and, make dinner on Saturday nights.

Things I pay someone else to do for me as my time is spent more optimally on the other things I have to do, all of the above.