• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Yes, Russian sumo wrestler on USF football team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  936
  • Days Won:  1

Is he still at 425 lbs? Geez

No, but he was when he was doing Sumo wrestling.

He's lost over 100 pounds, to play football.

He's listed on the USF football roster at 308 lbs.

Thanks, I figured he would have to get down to 300 to 325.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I thought the Sumo stance in this picture was interesting.

USF Adds Former Sumo Wrestler As Defensive Tackle

Tyler Moorehead

sumo-wrestling-300x225.jpg

The sumo stance is pretty similar to that of a defensive tackle. Photo by hatch.m via Flickr

As sports fans, it is always fun to do some cross-sport speculation. Would LeBron James make an unreal tight end? Could Chad Ochocinco Johnson be an elite soccer player (the answer is no)? Well apparently the University of South Florida’s head coach Skip Holtz is willing to try out some cross-training.

As the Tampa Bay Times reports, Holtz’s team will feature former Russian sumo wrestler Soslan Gagloev on the defensive line. Gagloev is a powerful, powerful man, checking in at 425 lbs. He is understandably a very raw prospect, but if the goal is to be a space-eater in the middle, he should have no trouble accomplishing that task.

South Florida had better have one good meal plan.

What are those pertruding things on the side of their thong?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

At 24 years old, he will be a man playing against kids/semi-men.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  242

I work for various newspaper and internet publications evaluating college players for the NFL Draft. I've been on the NFL Network, written for the South Florida Sun Sentinel, etc.

I'm fairly new at looking at High School level talent and evaluating it for college, but it's not TOO different. In this case, Mr. WakaNole is more of an age (and with a professional background) with the players that I'm used to evaluating. He is interesting, to say the least.

In your opinion who was the steal of the NFL draft this year?

Too many to name one. You end up with player-values you love and player-values you like, and player-values you doubt.

Player-Values I Loved...

1st Round: QB Andrew Luck, RB Trent Richardson, LB Luke Kuechly, DT Fletcher Cox, WR Michael Floyd, DE Quinton Coples, QB Brandon Weeden, OG David DeCastro, RB Doug Martin

2nd Round: TE Coby Fleener, DE Courtney Upshaw, WR Stephen Hill, WR Ryan Broyles, OC Peter Konz, OT Kelechi Osemele

3rd Round: QB Russell Wilson, OG Brandon Brooks, TE Michael Egnew, WR Dwight Bentley, DT Brandon Thompson

4th Round: RB Lamar Miller, WR Joe Adams, WR Devon Wylie, LB James-Michael Johnson, WR Nick Toon, DE Jared Crick

5th Round: DT Josh Chapman, DE Malik Jackson, CB Josh Norman, TE Taylor Thompson, LB Tank Carder, FS George Iloka, RB Vick Ballard

6th Round: SS Winston Guy, RB Cyrus Gray, FS Markelle Martin, OG Tom Compton, WR Marvin McNutt, DT Billy Winn

7th Round: RB Michael Smith, CB Alfonzo Dennard, WR Rishard Matthews, TE Drake Dunsmore, WR Jeremy Ebert, QB B.J. Coleman

Undrafted: RB Jonas Gray, TE Chase Ford, CB Larry Parker, OT Jeff Adams, OG Josh Samuda, DE Derrick Shelby, WR Jeff Fuller, PR/WR Marquis Maze, WR Dwight Jones, SS Duke Ihenacho, DE Jamie Blatnick, LB Dexter Heyman, OT Levy Adcock, WR Chris Owusu

Don't want to make this an NFL thread but, I dont like Weeden/Couples at all. Ill take tannehill over weeden, Ingram ober Couples and although I think Martin will be a solid player, I think David Wilson will be the better pro. I also dont like Jeff Fuller as much as most people because his hands aren't very good. I still say BJ Cunningham has more upside. I find it interesting that you dont have Janoris Jenkis listed as he is in my opinion the best corner out of this draft.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

All we need is a ninja.

We have one, you just can't see him :D

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

LOL..they showed him on ESPN news the other night also...looks like a monster....interesting to say the least.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Glad he'll have a year to learn before his 2 years, wish him the best

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I thought the Sumo stance in this picture was interesting.

USF Adds Former Sumo Wrestler As Defensive Tackle

Tyler Moorehead

sumo-wrestling-300x225.jpg

The sumo stance is pretty similar to that of a defensive tackle. Photo by hatch.m via Flickr

As sports fans, it is always fun to do some cross-sport speculation. Would LeBron James make an unreal tight end? Could Chad Ochocinco Johnson be an elite soccer player (the answer is no)? Well apparently the University of South Florida’s head coach Skip Holtz is willing to try out some cross-training.

As the Tampa Bay Times reports, Holtz’s team will feature former Russian sumo wrestler Soslan Gagloev on the defensive line. Gagloev is a powerful, powerful man, checking in at 425 lbs. He is understandably a very raw prospect, but if the goal is to be a space-eater in the middle, he should have no trouble accomplishing that task.

South Florida had better have one good meal plan.

What are those pertruding things on the side of their thong?

They're called "sagari" (ã•ãŒã‚Š) and are kept as part of the "mawashi" (the thong) in reference to the old days when they actually competed in something akin to today's "kesho-mawashi" (the apron)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mawashi

gf2200118632.jpg220px-Kuniyoshi_Utagawa%2C_The_sumo_wrestler_2.jpg

Edited by charsibb

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  242

Is he expected to make a splash this year, or in the next couple of years?