• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fred Coppet, RB, STA, Ft Lauderdale, FL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

According to Rivals, we are in top 2 for Coppet, against, wha? Boston College.Coppett planning trip soon to USF. Apparently some sort of communication snafu. Like the way he tucks in behind blocking and finds holes between the tackles.. Film looks good. has a season best 10.78 100M.

Ready for the light to come on

Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas running back Fred Coppet may be small in stature, but few backs play bigger than him when the lights come on.

7_32708.jpg

The 5-foot-9, 155-pound back has electric speed, an explosive cutting ability and he has great instincts coming out of the backfield. Three schools have offered the Florida prospect – Boston College, Indiana and South Florida – but you can expect that number to rise during his final season.

“I’ve been running track lately, but it’s good to be back on the football field,†said Coppet. “My short spring has gone well though. The first time I got in a scrimmage, I broke off a couple touchdowns. It felt good to be back. I’m ready for this season to start.â€

Coppet is one of the top track athletes in the sunshine state, but for such a talented football player, the transition back to the gridiron is a smooth one.

“The biggest transition from track to football is the contact,†said the 247Sports three-star prospect. “I love contact. When the pads go on, it’s a great thing. I got hit by (Joey) Bosa on the first day and that was a nice welcome back. That one hit got me back into football mode.â€

Coppet spoke about the three schools that have offered him, as well as two other in-state powers that he has heard from lately.

South Florida – I don’t know too much about South Florida, but Coach Scott is a real good dude. Me and him talk off and on. We talk a lot about the campus, the environment and how things are up there. It’s a school I’m definitely interested in.

Boston College – I have a great vibe with the coaching staff. I feel like they are my big brothers.

Indiana – Indiana recently offered me also. That seems like a good place. That’s another school I am interested in checking out.

Florida – Florida is a school I want an offer from. I just like how they run their offense and do things. That would be a nice offer to get.

Florida State – I love Florida State. I grew up on them. That was my favorite team when I was young and it’s my favorite team still now. I talked to Coach Gran the other day. He wants me to keep working and they will check me out again this season.

Although he doesn’t have a leader, Coppet knows when he would like to have a decision made.

“I’d like to have a decision made before my season, so that I can just focus on football,†Coppet said. “The biggest factor will probably be the depth chart. I want an opportunity earlier than later.â€

Tom Loy contributed to this article

http://southflorida.247sports.com/Article/RB-Fred-Coppett-talks-recruiting-74847

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

I'd feel...less good...about winning a recruiting battle against Boston College for a tailback, as opposed to winning a battle against Boston College for a linebacker. Now, if we win a battle with Boston College over an offensive lineman, that'll be pretty cool.

I can't help it. I watch this guy and all I can think is if you're going after this smaller back why don't you go after the Carrolwood Day smaller back instead? At least that dude has incredible speed, more than Coppet, IMO.

Edited by ckparrothead

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I like this guy, but we have a lot of options cooking for our 2nd RB. For a smaller back, he has some chops, though. I just thought the BC thing was funny because of Wright. The thing is with this guy I think he may be further along as a FB player, with a little less speed than Davis, who has a really lightweight offer list. As far as the smaller speedy backs go, I really like TJ Johnson from Cape Coral but it looks like Zona and WVU have jumped ahead of us.

Edited by Bullwinkle

Davis is one of those guys I wouldn't care too much about the recruiting list of offers. I'd just be out to get him. His speed is not just on a track, it was extremely evident on the field. It's not often you get a guy that has tailback instincts and running style yet the kind of speed that obliterates good angles on the football.

But as always, we'll see.

• Content Count:  69
  • Days Won:  0

Fred Coppet, Robert Davis, John Armstrong, TJ Johnson......so many good smaller backs out there to chose from. USF needs someone to replace Lindsey Lamar in that hybrid WR/RB spot.

• 5 months later...

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  565
  • Days Won:  0

School Interest Offer Visit Recruited by Bowling Green Medium Offered 01/11/2013   Houston Medium Offered 01/18/2013   South Florida Medium Offered None ">">

I guess its down to us, BG, and houston........we need to bring him in for an OV

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  335
  • Days Won:  2

I think Marcus Levy just committed to bowling green recently if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully Coppet takes that into consideration.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

... and brings O'Korn with him!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

I don't think he brings anything different from what we already have, however, if he comes as a package deal with a certain QB then yes yes yes.  Seems like a long shot though.