• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bailey On USF/UCF: "A Healthy, Respectful Rivalry"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

ri·val

1. a person or team who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor.

2. a person or thing that is in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority: a stadium without a rival.

3. USF vs UCF = rivals

They will be a rival as soon as they enter the BE ... same as however many other teams will be in the conference at that time.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

My wife and I were standing in line at the ESPN club at Disney's Boardwalk. We started talking to the couple in front of us. In the course of the conversation, we find out that the girl was a school teacher. My wife mentioned that she's a USF Alumn, girl gets ALL KINDS OF PISSY. "I went to a real school". I hate ucf.

I do not get some people. I do not like UCF's football program for various reasons, but would never denigrate someone because they went to UCF. My neighbor is a big UCF fan, his kids go there, and we have very cordial discussions during the football season (which should only get more interesting now that they will soon join the same conference).

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

My wife and I were standing in line at the ESPN club at Disney's Boardwalk. We started talking to the couple in front of us. In the course of the conversation, we find out that the girl was a school teacher. My wife mentioned that she's a USF Alumn, girl gets ALL KINDS OF PISSY. "I went to a real school". I hate ucf.

I do not get some people. I do not like UCF's football program for various reasons, but would never denigrate someone because they went to UCF. My neighbor is a big UCF fan, his kids go there, and we have very cordial discussions during the football season (which should only get more interesting now that they will soon join the same conference).

^^^ +1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

ri·val

1. a person or team who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor.

2. a person or thing that is in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority: a stadium without a rival.

3. USF vs UCF = rivals

Dumb.post

1. A post that makes no sense

2. A captain obvious like approach to a topic

3. Weak logic = dumb post

Edited by skingraft

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Regardless if most of you admit it or not, UCF is our rival. Both schools, the teams and the fans, get up for this game regardless of the sport. Not to mention the politics that have come into play between the school presidents and some local politicians. I used to say that it's not a rivalry since we own them, but I can't even buy that myself. There's bad blood on both sides and it will only escalate once they are in the conference.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Regardless if most of you admit it or not, UCF is our rival. Both schools, the teams and the fans, get up for this game regardless of the sport.

The students may get up for it, but your every day fan just doesn't care as much. As time goes on, and stuff happens in conference, that will change, but for now, it's a big deal to the students because of knowing people that go there and to some Internet message board minions. For a real Rivalry, you don't have to talk fans into it ...

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

beating UCF means everything now.

This is not meant to be confrontational, but do you mean that statement for you, the players, or the fan base.... Beating UCF will be important as it would pertain to the conference, but I just see this rivalry as joke...

how exactly is it a joke?

we passed them, now they caught up to us; a rival is defined by many things (distance being one of them), but I still do not feel we add value to our program by playing them. Yes, we have too now, but I just laugh at the fact (hence the joke) people get so fired up to play them.... I just see zero value in it...... we all have opinions, yes opinions are like ********, but this one is my opinion; right or wrong.... I still see Rutgers as more of a rival that what UCF will ever be based upon competition

what competition? we lose to rutgers all the time...

if you asked their fan base if they thought USF was a rival... they'd laugh.

Let me start over... I'm not asking anyone a single question on what "I" think.... It is an opinion of "mine" that playing UCF is a joke and will help USF in no way shape or form in the new conference alignment/NC format as far as SOS goes..... That is just it; when we play Rutgers it is very competitive and they have gained more respect in the CFB world that UCF has.... I will state it once again for you... In "MY OPINION" UCF is not a rival, they are just a school close to us, we gain nothing in beating them, and since they are the BE now people are going to try to force it to be a rival due to proximity....

would losing to UCF feel the same as looking to Pittsburgh or Cinci? No

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  185
  • Days Won:  0

I would think the best stat to use is how many people get arrested at the games from altercations. Look at UF/UGA, they have to play in Jacksonville b/c the rivalry became too hostile and probably some other reasons. If I recall the last time we played them in Tampa there were a bunch of arrests and know even die hard Bulls fans came back from Orlando the last time saying they would never go back b/c of all the BS. Any other school that comes to Tampa(except for Miami, but they're usually not even alumni) are basically greeted w/ open arms as long as they are civil but not UCF fans for the most part. I also would say there def. is more hatred between the students since most of them have friends from high school that attend UCF and want to prove their school is better. It really doesn't matter who we play, all that matters is the same thing that matters for every game and that's a W.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

beating UCF means everything now.

This is not meant to be confrontational, but do you mean that statement for you, the players, or the fan base.... Beating UCF will be important as it would pertain to the conference, but I just see this rivalry as joke...

how exactly is it a joke?

we passed them, now they caught up to us; a rival is defined by many things (distance being one of them), but I still do not feel we add value to our program by playing them. Yes, we have too now, but I just laugh at the fact (hence the joke) people get so fired up to play them.... I just see zero value in it...... we all have opinions, yes opinions are like ********, but this one is my opinion; right or wrong.... I still see Rutgers as more of a rival that what UCF will ever be based upon competition

what competition? we lose to rutgers all the time...

if you asked their fan base if they thought USF was a rival... they'd laugh.

Let me start over... I'm not asking anyone a single question on what "I" think.... It is an opinion of "mine" that playing UCF is a joke and will help USF in no way shape or form in the new conference alignment/NC format as far as SOS goes..... That is just it; when we play Rutgers it is very competitive and they have gained more respect in the CFB world that UCF has.... I will state it once again for you... In "MY OPINION" UCF is not a rival, they are just a school close to us, we gain nothing in beating them, and since they are the BE now people are going to try to force it to be a rival due to proximity....

would losing to UCF feel the same as looking to Pittsburgh or Cinci? No

To me, yes... Serious answer... I really do not care one way or the other..... In a year, it's just the same as Pitt or Cincy.... It's a conference loss feel

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Like it or not, it is now officially a rivalry.

• Upvote 1