• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football Update by our very own Tom Zebold

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=205404237

TAMPA - USF's former quarterbacks coach is now down in the trenches and bringing a physical brand to his new role with the Bulls.

Peter Vaas, who guided the Bulls behind center for the past two years, has moved over to coach the tight ends and is looking for a big push from his pupils this coming season.

"One of our biggest challenges this spring is can we find some people that want to play with their hand in the ground? Can we be more physical in the running game at the point of attack? That's our big, big emphasis this spring," Vaas said after Monday's morning practice.

Vaas has acquired a group that's as deep as it has been since head coach Skip Holtz took over. Jeff Hawkins is back after missing all of last season and gives Vaas the old school-type of player he's looking for when it comes to a guy who wants to deliver punishment to defenders.

"He's as big, as physical and probably as true a tight end as we have," Vaas said. "He's got some physicality to him and we all want to get to that point."

Versatile Evan Landi has gone from quarterback to receiver and is now very much looking the part at tight end in his second season at the position. The senior has packed on 20 pounds since last preseason, getting up to 238, in his pursuit of giving Vaas more of what he's looking for at the position moving forward.

"Physicality is a big part of the sport," said Landi, who noted he feels more like a tight end now. "He wants us to have the mind set that when our hands are in the dirt, we have to dominate."

USF has eight tight ends on its roster including senior Andreas Shields, another proven commodity, along with progressing Mike McFarland and Isaac Virgin.

"The initial impression is there's a tremendous group of people that have some experience," Vaas said. "They know what to do and they have a great 'I want to' about it."

MORE ON THE COACHING CHANGES

Vaas' switch to tight ends and Larry Scott's move to the running backs allows offensive coordinator Todd Fitch the chance to really dial into the minds of his quarterbacks. That was the thinking that went behind the tweaks to the coaching staff this offseason and Fitch said it could benefit the Bulls in situations when he needs to go with his impulses when calling plays.

Fitch now will have a better understanding of how someone like B.J. Daniels is confident in third-down scenarios and he can give the senior the best chance to succeed.

"You get that gut feeling of he really gets it, or they really get it, or oh it's not quite clear in their minds," Fitch said. "You're a little bit more on the same page. It's nothing about coaching, it was never about that. It was more about communication."

Members of the team, from staff to players, said it's been a smooth transition with the staff adjustments thanks to it being the third year in Holtz's system and USF's coaches being renaissance men.

Fitch's coaching background includes working with wide receivers, quarterbacks and running backs. Vaas has been a head coach, an offensive coordinator and already got experience working with tight ends at Miami (Ohio) in 2009. Scott has pulled tight end duty twice with an offensive line role sandwiched in between before his running back assignment at USF.

"The crossover and the teaching wasn't as dramatic for the existing members of the staff," Fitch said. "It's gone well and I think the players are responding to it well."

MURRAY'S TURN

It's Demetris Murray's turn.

The spotlight is now on USF's senior running back after Darrell Scott left early for the NFL and Murray is embracing the opportunity to finally get the bulk of the carries.

"You just want to stay humble and hope for the best," he said. "You need to continue to keep your head down and keep working."

Scott and Murray shared the majority of USF's carries last season and Murray's humble approach helped him stay ready for his named to be called. The Buford, Ga. native averaged 4.2 yards per touch in 2011 and his eight touchdowns on the ground were the most of any Bull ball carrier.

MITCHELL FINDS A HOME

The Bulls now have a very good idea of what to do with speedster Terrence Mitchell.

Fitch said the dynamic returner will now be used inside when he puts his receiver hat on after the Bulls tinkered with the junior at various outside spots the past two years.

"I think we've found him a home," Fitch said. "I think he's a mismatch in there with his speed. Plus, he's probably a little bit more of an advanced route runner than some of the slot guys we've had in the past."

Mitchell was forced to redshirt in 2011 after a scary concussion knocked him out of USF's home win over UTEP last September. Mitchell said recently that he's back to being 100 percent and Fitch has no doubt that the fearless T-Rex is roaming out there this spring.

"I don't know if he has that gene to slow down; that's who he is," Fitch said.

THE TECHNICIAN

Kayvon Webster is now the guy at cornerback for the Bulls and the senior has amped up his time in the classroom to get ready.

"It's a good feeling that I'm up at the top, but I had to come in and work just as hard as the next man," he said.

Webster's new best friend has become film and he said he's trying to become a "technician" studying patterns and picking up tips from pros like Champ Bailey, Asante Samuel and Darrelle Revis.

Webster isn't a talkative person, opting to lead more by example, but he hasn't been shy about motivating USF's younger defensive backs this offseason.

"I text everyone and tell them we need to watch more film as a unit because the closer we are in that, the closer we'll be on the field," he said.

Webster admitted being a senior is a little unbelievable at this point, but he's confident about his leadership role among a group that has gotten younger and added two new faces who are competing for the other spot at corner.

"From the JUCO's to the freshmen that are coming in, I take that responsibility in helping them improve," Webster said.

MONTGOMERY A BUSY, NEW BULL

Fidel Montgomery is a happy man in green and gold.

The transfer from Southwest Mississippi Community College had a long list of reasons why he's glad to be a Bull and he provided some humor when chatting with reporters after practice.

"It's way better than JUCO, I can tell you that," he said with a laugh.

Montgomery understands that coming down to Tampa is mainly a business trip. The junior is competing for the vacant cornerback spot opposite of Webster, so he hasn't exactly been out seeing what the bay area has to offer.

"I understand I have to do overtime with learning the plays and stuff like that," he said.

Montgomery also is doing a bit of double duty because of his size and versatility. The 6-foot, 186-pounder also is being looked at by defensive backs coach Rick Smith at safety and said he'll be happy at either position.

"I prefer to play," he said. "Wherever coach Smith wants me to play at, that's where I'm going to play to the best of my ability."

Nice to hear about T-Rex! I am very excited to see him play, especially as a route runner.

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Nice to hear about T-Rex! I am very excited to see him play, especially as a route runner.

nm

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Great read. We need something like this every week through August.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

If Rex can give us a legit slot threat it will really open things up for the offense. I love him and Marc's play making ability on the inside.

nm

Is that short for not me?

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

nm

Lol, I guess it could be. I meant to say never mind though. I posted something without reading the whole article and I got my answer. Can't wait for a healthy T-rex this year. I can't believe we have 8 tight ends on the roster.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i'd much rather have mitchell at slot than marc...

i could do without those ridiculous fumbles

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

i'd much rather have mitchell at slot than marc...

i could do without those ridiculous fumbles

Well, hopefully Marc and the staff have put in the time to correct that issue. Last year was Marc's first time getting legit PT so growing pains were to be expected. Lining up 4 wide with those two in the slot can create some quality mismatches.

nm

Lol, I guess it could be. I meant to say never mind though. I posted something without reading the whole article and I got my answer. Can't wait for a healthy T-rex this year. I can't believe we have 8 tight ends on the roster.

Yeah Coach Holtz definitely build depth at the receiving positions. Let's hope in this class we can land a couple of great qbs and backs.

Archived