• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

East Carolina fires MBB coach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8219001

GREENVILLE, N.C. -- East Carolina men's basketball coach Bill Herrion won't return next season, ending a six-year tenure with the Pirates that never produced a winning season.

A school spokesman confirmed the firing Tuesday.

The Pirates are 69-96 under Herrion -- including 8-17 this season -- and host Southern Mississippi on Wednesday night.

Before coming to East Carolina, Herrion spent eight seasons at Drexel, winning at least 20 games six times and making the NCAA tournament three times. He wasn't able to duplicate that success with the Pirates, and their 14-14 record in 2000-01 was the best during his tenure.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

Thats a tough place for anyone to win at.  They play in the same state that features UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, NC ST, and UNCC.  They have no chance at landing any of the top talent in their state or region.  

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Before coming to East Carolina, Herrion spent eight seasons at Drexel, winning at least 20 games six times and making the NCAA tournament three times.

Dark Siders should be clamoring for us to hire him with those type of credentials ......

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  61

Dark Siders should be clamoring for us to hire him with those type of credentials ......

Perhaps you should have applied a similar disclaimer indicating that your posting was intended to be interpreted in jest. Good grief.

Judging from Herrion's post-game remarks following each ECU/USF men's basketball game, I could not envision the Merrimack College alumnus becoming a part of the USF community.

Moreover, as one might recall, he doesn't enjoy the lifestyle of Florida (though I cannot understand why one would detest glorious, radiantly glowing sunshine and beautiful beaches).

In all sincerity, I am anticipating Herrion's acceptance of Terry Holland's overture to remain at ECU in a fundraising capacity at the University. ECU alumnus Dave Odom, holding a master's degree from ECU, is a leading candidate to succeed Herrion, according to the local Greenville-based CBS affiliate.

Alas, I'm quoting mass media sources so please don't attack me again with childish insults.  ::)

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

That is the same type of hire they made here... a coach who wins at a small program with no name recognition... and boom, CUSA contract. What is different though in our case is the fact we are going to the #1 conference in the nation next year and having a small fish coach in deep waters is going to cause many problems for the next four years... when finally they show RMC the door like the ECU coach.

Just cause you can tear it up on the little schools doesn't translate to wins at the bigger schools.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  433

Sheriff,

Small school....big school.  No difference.  A great coach is a great coach, no matter what.  Coaching in basketball at the D1 level is 3 basic things.....evaluating talent & personalities, game planning, and getting the most out of your kids.  

Do the names Bo Ryan and Bobby Knight ring a bell? There is a huge list of others that came from tiny programs.

RMC is a great coach, he just needs to get his system implemented with his players.

Guest Harvey Jones

Wagers - not sure how you can say RMC is a great coach.  Right now I would call him a stickler/disciplinarian.  Great is a strong word to use for a guy whose biggest win at USF came against USM last year.  Nothing wrong with hiring a coach from a small school, you just have to make sure he is the right fit.  CRM looked to be the right fit based on having coached at UF.  LRS must've thought he had recruiting connections in the state.  As we all can see he really doesn't based on the players he has signed.  

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Perhaps you should have applied a similar disclaimer indicating that your posting was intended to be interpreted in jest. Good grief....

Alas, I'm quoting mass media sources so please don't attack me again with childish insults.  

Not wanting to get into another pissing match with you but if you go back and look at the thread your panties are all in a wad about, I was the first one to indicate I thought you were kidding about the ECU attendance.........   :-X

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Wait - Wait - Wait

USF defeats ECU in fotball and coach quits

USF defeats ECU in Hoops & Coach is fired

Do I see a trend?

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219