• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: Heath up to the challenge of building program

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Published: March 17, 2012

Updated: March 17, 2012 - 10:35 PM

TBO.com

Heath up to the challenge of building program

By Joey Johnston

Men of great faith must believe in something before they can actually see it.

Nearly five years ago, in a hotel suite during the Final Four at Atlanta, Stan Heath first began to believe in the University of South Florida men's basketball program. He saw the potential. He felt it could be done. And even though there was a laundry list of critics and skeptics, even though USF's hoops history suggested otherwise, Heath accepted the challenge.

Now everyone can see it.

Tonight, Heath's No. 12-seeded Bulls (22-13), already tied for the school record in single-season victories, can achieve the unthinkable. If USF defeats No. 13 Ohio University (28-7) in the NCAA tournament's Midwest Regional third-round game at the Bridgestone Arena, the Bulls will advance to the Sweet 16 in St. Louis.

Against, in all likelihood, No. 1-seeded North Carolina.

Two victories away from the Final Four.

Four wins away from a national championship.

"I just had a good feeling about Stan's background, about his vision,'' said USF athletic director Doug Woolard, who had three interviews with Heath during the 2007 Final Four, after Robert McCullum was fired after four seasons (40-76) on the job. "I thought he was the guy who could take us where we wanted to go.''

At that time, USF basketball was going nowhere.

The Bulls struggled to compete in the Big East Conference, where USF had been accepted, largely because its football program gave the league a needed Florida presence. Fan interest had reached an all-time low. It was difficult, if not impossible, to recruit Big East-level players. In its own state, USF lagged far behind the Florida Gators and Florida State Seminoles. ESPN's **** Vitale kept repeating his mantra: "USF is the toughest job in America.''

Somehow, Heath believed and persisted, riding a roller-coaster that produced two seasons of struggles, a National Invitation Tournament bid in 2010, then a 10-23 finish last year. And now, in one amazing season that produced USF's first NCAA appearance since 1992, he has prevailed.

"You're starting to see his real personality come out," said Heath's oldest son, Jordan, a USF student. "He's generally such a happy, positive person and some of the times have been tough. But he never gives up. Never.

"When you're in a coaching family, you hear things all the time. People will say it straight to your face: 'Hey, your dad's team stinks.' …But you bite your lip and don't say anything because you know your dad is one of the best at what he does. You just know the good times will happen again.''

It happened before.

Heath, a lower-level assistant, once wrapped up a mannequin's arm and sent it to Michigan State coach Tom Izzo with a note: "I'd give my right arm to work with you.'' Heath got the job. He helped recruit the foundation of Michigan State's three consecutive Final Four teams (1999-2001), then was hired as head coach at Kent State, where he went 30-6 and made the Elite Eight in 2002.

He parlayed that success into the Arkansas job, replacing the legendary Nolan Richardson. He seemed to have the program on solid footing by his fifth year, where he achieved back-to-back 20-win seasons and NCAA tournament bids.

Then, abruptly, he was fired.

"When it first happens, it stings and you have a chip on your shoulder, you have that edge,'' said Heath, 47, the son of a long-time funeral director in Detroit. "You feel like the rug was pulled from underneath you. But at some point, you just move on. You really do.''

Heath and his family left Fayetteville, Ark., and returned to relatives in Michigan. They decided to attend the Final Four, where it would be low-key family time. Instead, it became a job interview that changed the life of Heath's family.

"I wouldn't have taken the job if I thought it was a lost cause,'' Heath said. "I saw great potential. I saw a chance to create history, a chance to build something special. I found it interesting that Doug (Woolard) had been a (high-school) basketball coach. Basketball was important to him. I just thought there was a chance.''

Now Heath is the guy who made USF an NCAA tournament team – maybe a Sweet 16 team – out of the Big East. He's bound to be on the short list of every athletic director who is seeking a new basketball coach.

"I wouldn't want it any other way,'' Woolard said. "That's the reason you hire coaches, to have success. I think Stan loves the commitment the university has shown. I think he feels like this is just the beginning.

"This can be sustained. He loves to recruit, just loves it. From where we were a few years ago, thinking you could not just get there, but you could sustain it, that's a big accomplishment. I think this is not only a destination job now, it's a great destination job. Stan is a big part of that.''

In July 2010, a few months after USF reached the NIT, Woolard gave Heath a contract extension through 2015, making it a five-year, $4.5-million deal that raised his annual salary to $900,000. Another adjustment could be in order.

"I'm sure we'll visit, but that's for after the season,'' Woolard said. "We'd like to keep this ride going.''

Heath said he loves Tampa. He said the Pam and Les Muma Basketball Center, USF's practice facility, has been a great addition. He can't wait to play next season in a renovated Sun Dome.

"It's funny how life works, but after Arkansas, I feel like we found a great home, like this was meant to be,'' Heath said.

He could feel it all along. And now, along with everyone else, he can see it.

Link

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Nice article.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,667
  • Days Won:  29

Heath has shown what he can do.

Now fans need to step up!

I'll be working in Tampa now and will be getting season tix and see what I can do regarding donation level.

I urge current season ticket holders to look into upgrading (if possible) with the new arena.

Other fans, try to make the commitment of becoming a season ticket holder.

Our fan base will dictate us going to the next level.

Students need to be a large presence next season.

Lets not lose this momentum!

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

it feels good to support a coach that actually delivers the goods

can he sustain and build on it is the next question

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Agree with Smazza; great year-now do it again....

We need some championships at usf

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I love Heath

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Heath has shown what he can do.

Now fans need to step up!

I bought tickets two out of the last four years...some seasons remembered, others I did not.

We need to step up. Great post season run, the Muma Center, and next season the renovated ____ ______ _____.

Get your tickets.

Archived