• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gimme a list

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

With all but one of the day's games among these teams all completed, and so far so good. No extra bids were stolen yet. Here's an update:

So to recap, teams we want to see win their league's auto bid to avoid eating up an at-large bid:

• Long Beach State in the Big West Conference - Lost in its regular season finale to Cal State Fullerton; with an RPI in the mid-30s before the loss and the toughest out-of-conference schedule in the country, it is unlikely to drop them out of an at-large bid should they fall in the conference tournament, which starts Thursday vs UC Davis; worth noting that ESPN's bubble watch hasn't penciled them in as a lock yet though, so maybe if they crash out in the first round...?
  • Iona in the MAAC - Won big in the quarterfinals of the MAAC tournament, still alive; next game Sunday vs. Fairfield in the semifinals
  • Murray State in the Ohio Valley Conference (final is at 2 pm today vs Tennessee State) - won in a nailbiter to secure the OVC automatic bid
  • Oral Roberts in the Summit League - Won a close one (71-67) in the quarterfinals of the conference tourney, still alive; next game is the semifinals, Monday vs. the winner of Sunday's North Dakota State/Western Illinois game
  • Middle Tennessee State in the Sun Belt - didn't play; next game is Sunday in the conference tournament quarterfinals vs. Arkansas State
  • Nevada in the WAC - they play Louisiana Tech tonight, and with an RPI hovering around 50 a loss could put their at-large bid in jeopardy if they don't win the WAC tourney; tournament starts Thursday, when Nevada plays San Jose State in the quarterfinals
  • Harvard in the Ivy League (regular season only) - Harvard and Penn both won today, meaning if Penn wins its regular season finale against Princeton then the two will meet in a one-game playoff for the Ivy League auto bid, and if Penn loses Harvard gets it outright; a Harvard loss in a playoff would probably mean they get an at-large spot

And leagues where we want to see one of two teams win the auto bid are:

• Drexel or VCU in the Colonial Athletic Association - Both of these teams won in the quarterfinals; in the semifinals Sunday, Drexel plays Old Dominion and VCU plays the winner of the Georgia State/George Mason game going on right now; as long as both win those games, there won't be a bid thief regardless of who wins the final
  • Temple or St. Louis in the Atlantic 10 - Both teams won their regular season finales and will be the 1 and 2 seeds in the conference tourney, getting byes to the quarterfinals starting Friday
  • Memphis or Southern Miss in Conference USA - Southern Miss lost its regular season finale today, but that won't affect its at-large bid; both teams receive byes to the quarterfinals of the conference tourney, starting Thursday
  • Wichita State or Creighton in the Missouri Valley Conference - Wichita State lost in the semifinals of the MVC tournament to Illinois State, meaning Creighton has to beat Illinois State in the final Sunday or an at-large bid is gone

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iona lost in the MAAC semifinals today. With an RPI of 40 before the loss, that is probably an at-large bid gone. None of the remaining MAAC teams were going to otherwise get a bid.

• Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

Iona lost in the MAAC semifinals today. With an RPI of 40 before the loss, that is probably an at-large bid gone. None of the remaining MAAC teams were going to otherwise get a bid.

I don't know much about Iona but no one is talking about there loss and them possibly taking a at large bid... I'm guessing although their RPI is strong there big wins (only see Maryland) are weak and their strength of schedule probably isn't that good either. Their RPI should change too now that they lost to Fairfield.

• Content Count:  5
  • Days Won:  0

Per Lunardi Tweet- Believes Iona will not get an at large.

Looking around, I guess a lot of other "bracketologists" agree with him. That's good news. I hope they're right. But Iona is certainly in the running at least, I would have preferred they just went ahead and won.

I don't know much about Iona but no one is talking about there loss and them possibly taking a at large bid... I'm guessing although their RPI is strong there big wins (only see Maryland) are weak and their strength of schedule probably isn't that good either. Their RPI should change too now that they lost to Fairfield.

Yeah originally my list was just teams from one-bid leagues whose RPI was better than 50th, which is why I included Iona. I got ahead of myself saying they probably had an at-large locked up I guess.

• Content Count:  3,616

VCU and Stony Brook both win their Semifinal matchups

• Content Count:  3,616

Middle Tennessee down 3 at the half

After losing to Western Kentucky last week, a loss tonight would probably remove Middle Tennessee from the at-large discussion. So...

Iona - Lost today. Consensus seems to be that they are not dancing. Call it unlikely but not outside the realm of possibility that they will take away an at-large bid.

VCU/Drexel - Neither is very likely to get an at-large bid, but ESPN included them on the bubble watch, so I included them here. Anyway, both advance to conference finals, so no bid thievery potential here.

The only team left of those I identified from a one-bid conference that ESPN lists as either "lock" or "should be in" is Long Beach State, with all the others either having "work left to do" or not even being listed at all on the bubble watch. So hopefully there won't be any stealing of bids by lesser teams.

Archived