• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USA today Article on furure ND Football Schedules

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

The only reason ND does this is because they know they can.  As for the 3 BE games a year agreement.  One of those games goes to Pitt thats a given, they have a long standing rivalry with them, and ND will look to continue that.  That only gives us two games a year to try to schedule them.  And I don't see that happening right now.  They will look to play more established teams.  But by 2009 when they look to start the neutral site road games every year, if our program keeps improving, by that time we may peak thier interest.  Playing a game in a Florida market is big for recruiting for any out of state school, but look at it from ND's perspective.  Why would you to play USF a team who is not nationally recognized as a power in football, and risk losing to them.  

I equate it to Army's decision to leave C-USA.  They left because they know they are not a great team, but thier belief was if we are going to lose, I would rather be an independant and lose to teams like ND, Michigan, Michigan State, and USC rather than lose every week to ECU, Houston, and Tulane.  This is why ND will not schedule us until they deem us to be a respectable opponent.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Notre Dame is trying to build up some "W"s.

Their AD was on TV a bunch this fall, talking about how ND wanted to "soften" their schedule some...and play only 4 road games per year.

ND knows that they can sign a BUNCH of teams who would be willing to play in South Bend, even ONCE, and not worry about a return game.

It's all about the $$$$$$$$$. (Plus, NBC is putting "pressure" on ND...with "declining" ND TV Ratings...ND will get the same amount of $$$$$$, but ND will provide 1-2 "extra" games for NBC per year.)

In the OLD days (not really that long ago), ND could brag almost any kid they wanted (that were qualified)...and could play some of the toughest schedules in the Nation year-in and year-out...and still be in the hunt for a National Championship.

Those days are over....and ND is trying to find the "easiest" way and most "lucrative" way to get there.

KL

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Gary SJ,

I don't understand. The Gator Bowl goes to the BE #2 or ND?? Their football program is not in now so what difference would that make to the Gator Bowl if their basketball, baseball, olympic sports left the BE? None. The GB is BE vs ACC. Notre Dame has been to 2 GB since 1976. I say let them join 1/2 for football or take your other sports to the ASUN or CUSA. They don't have to play us. Let them play the same 3 teams every year + 1. Pitt, Syracuse, WVU plus one rotating team. Use the one rotating team as their neutral site game. Concessions could be made. Notre Dame is living in the past. They are no longer head and shoulders above everyone else. Kids grow up wanting to go to Miami, OU, USC, FSU, etc before they even think about ND.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-colfoot0215.artfeb15,0,970617.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports

Big East Prominent in New Irish Schedule Plans

Beginning in 2011, Notre Dame plans on playing at least three Big East teams in football each season - with one of the games at the Meadowlands in New Jersey - as part of a long-range plan to restructure the Irish's schedule.

John Heisler, Notre Dame's senior associate athletic director, said having Big East teams on the schedule is part of being a good partner, since the Irish are in the conference for most other sports.

"The Big East has been interested in having us make more of a concrete consistent commitment," Heisler told the Chicago Tribune. But because of schedules in place, "we can't get to that until 2011."

The plan, which includes playing seven home games a season, is contingent upon the NCAA permanently adding a 12th game. If the NCAA votes this spring to allow it, the Irish would add a seventh home game in 2006 abd 2007. Notre Dame has 12 games scheduled for 2006, a year the NCAA already permits it because an extra Saturday falls between Labor Day and Thanksgiving weekend.

The Irish, who intend to remain an independent in football, play Pittsburgh and Syracuse next season and in 2008 but do not have a Big East team scheduled in the intervening years.

Notre Dame played Big East teams Rutgers and West Virginia three times each between 1996 and 2002.

Of the four teams other that will be in the Big East next season, the Irish have never played Louisville or Division I-A newcomers UConn and South Florida, and played Cincinnati once in 1900.

Heisler said the school will continue its long rivalries with Southern Cal, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and Navy.

Guest Hail Pitt

More on Notre Dame:

"Kevin White stated yesterday that he would love to see Notre Dame play Miami, Florida State, and the University of Florida in either Orlando or Jacksonville.  Playing these schools at their home locations would not generate as much money as would playing the Irish in at a neutral site in the State of Florida.  NBC executives have stated that these schools would reap greater financial befits from a primetime match up with the Irish in Orlando or Jacksonville. The University of Florida already plays their annual game against the University of Georgia in Jacksonville.  Some officials from the University of Florida, the University of Miami, and Florida State have expressed playing the Irish in either Orlando or Tampa rather than Jacksonville since Jacksonville will be the host of the ACC Championship Game and host of the world’s largest cocktail party.  As White put it, “it would be great for our program, and would feature a mini-bowl game between two great football programs.  We are also looking at playing LSU or another school in New Orleans, Northwestern, Illinois, or another mid-western school in Chicago, a Big East match up in New York, and a Big 12 or even a Conference USA match up in Dallas."  White has stated publicly that the Irish will play three Big East teams a year once the 12 game season schedule is set.  Ã¢â‚¬Å“We look to continue our long relationship with West Virginia, Pittsburg, Syracuse, and the Big East Conference in the near future.â€Â

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

I t would definitely be a slap in the face to USF if ND played a regular season game against UF, FSU or Miami in TAMPA!

This ND guy White must be oblivious to the fact that USF is going into the Big East and plays in Tampa.

By the time any future game could take place USF will have already been ESTABLISHED in the Big East.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Howie - Why would ND play USF?  There is no appeal to that game unless you are a USF fan.  Like I've said before.  ND will NEVER play USF in football unless it's in a bowl game.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

You are being very short sighted. They are NOW sheduling BE Teams for 2011 and beyond. By THAT time USF will probably be the TOP team in the Big East and they like you should have some vision.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

ND has been talking about making their schedule easier for a couple of years.. so dropping games against top big 10.. big 12.. or ACC for a couple of BE schools makes perfect sense..

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Howie they'll keep games against Cuse, Pitt, Rutgers and WVU and maybe add UL or Cincy.  However, they will not add an upstart program.

In the article they even talk about playing in Florida and give no mention of USF.

We are not on their radar.

Unfortunately Bulls fans often look through Green and Gold glasses.  Things don't go our way and we get upset about it.  Well, don't think we have a chance at something that's nearly impossible and you won't set yourself up for the sure disappointment.