• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Randy Johnson RB, Miami Norland

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

And Duke wasn't going to visit to recruit Price or anyone else. That's not the reason for the visit.

Since you you seem to always know everything, what was the reason for the visit?

BillReef is under age? :)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

You're right... I had you confused with the other miami guy... my apologies.

Not once did I say I knew Duke... but I do personally know members of the staff at UM. I have it from two coaches that the phone call was made to Johnson and I'm not arguing semantics over the exact language was used, he was advised not to take the OV to USF. When I said trick, I meant a tactic that used by many universities... even USF has done it. I didn't mean it was underhanded or anything of that nature. We agree that Duke is going to UM... has always been strong to UM. Sorry if it came across differently. I wasn't trying to imply that UM did anything wrong or that Duke did anything wrong. This isn't a big deal... happens all the time.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Graduating class of 1979. Underage???? Whaaaa? May be underage for Social Security, but that's about it..

"Outside of Bill, I don't think anyone who actually knew about the situation had their hopes up..."

I stated some facts about a little battle that was unfolding OL that was relevant to our recruiting battles. Really don't think that rises to the level of having my "hopes up". As to the ongoing he said/she said, I'm not gonna touch that.

My new Avavtar is close to an actual photo, btw.

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

thread: derailed

• Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

You're right... I had you confused with the other miami guy... my apologies.

Not once did I say I knew Duke... but I do personally know members of the staff at UM. I have it from two coaches that the phone call was made to Johnson and I'm not arguing semantics over the exact language was used, he was advised not to take the OV to USF. When I said trick, I meant a tactic that used by many universities... even USF has done it. I didn't mean it was underhanded or anything of that nature. We agree that Duke is going to UM... has always been strong to UM. Sorry if it came across differently. I wasn't trying to imply that UM did anything wrong or that Duke did anything wrong. This isn't a big deal... happens all the time.

It's no big deal, I just try to be a lot more respectful than that other UM poster who used to post here.

I do know that one UM coach contacted him because we had been expecting Duke to unofficially assist on one particular recruiting weekend. I know for a fact that there was no scholarship threat, but there were a couple of questions because of how Duke has been recruiting for us (he has been our #1 recruiting verbal for the last half-year). This year, most of our OVs have already been held, thus the remaining two weekends are set for big targets who still undecided (or even committed to other programs). And since Duke has been personally assisting on a couple of guys, our coaches had a question for him on the timing of this.

Look, it's nothing personal at all. There's a quid pro quo that was set up between Duke and USF. Our coaches didn't care about that, but one called to see if Duke was still planning to help us close with some of the undecideds (i.e., "hey, should we try to reschedule a few guys, because this is short notice"). The whole deal was a bit surprising, but not a huge problem, certainly nothing to threaten a scholarship over.

You guys should offer the RB that Saban just screwed over. It will be a lot of positive PR for whoever signs him.

Bottom line, we have 7 confirmed EEs and could go as high as 9. If so, we can sign 34. We are at 31 verbals right now. So we've got some room, and quite frankly, we could really use Duke the next couple of weekends to help swing a few surprises (and trust me, we have a few surprises in the chamber, I'm just not sure if they will come through).

Obviously, our coaches have been talking to the undecided kids for a while. But having a 5-star make a personal appeal can be a powerful tool.

Archived