• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WVU Case

jvwvu

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

The SEC is the gold standard in conferences and Slive is acknowledged as the best commish. If they/he made it clear that they wouldn't touch T A&M unless they were free and clear you can be sure that they saw a liability on the 'poaching' conference's part that they wanted nothing to do with. B12 will soon admit defeat on WV invite and go another route to save their TV deal if they have any intellegence at all. My hope is this all ends up in the courts so that discovery can reveal the sordid mess that is college athletics.

these arent analogous situations though. The SEC was not trying to stabilize itself after another conference took its teams. It was merely expanding. The B12 is trying to repair damage and maintain its viability.

Let me just say I am not a fan of the move to the B12 by WVU - we have nothing in common or any history with those schools, nor do I like that they are attempting to leave early. However, IMO, at the end of the day, it will merely come down to $$ and WVU will be playing in the B12 in 2012. This is just simplistic contract law, and you cannot enforce specific performance, the ony remedy is monetary.

the un-analogous (word?) detail that you identify is not pertinent to the fact that 'poaching' is judged to be too expensive by the premier conference/commissioner. B12 simply cannot afford the potential liability in their weakened state.

and WV has made a horrible long term decision for their athletic teams. they go from being the potential kingpin of a BCS conference while maintaining meaningful rivalries to becoming an afterthought as the out-of-place buffoons (sorry; this is perception) with little hope of ever developing a true rival. this is far worse than Miami's decision to go to the ACC and you can see how that has worked out for them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  260

I highly doubt that marinatto or anyone else in providence had the foresight to include the specific scenario that happened concerning TCU and what the repurcussions/penalties etc. would be. they have proven they arent very good at being proactive or visionary.
Actually, it is my understanding that is exactly what happened.

and none of that has been made public, so we really dont know. the only public statements have been vague references that TCU was a different situation by the BE offices, but there is no detailed or factual documentation that has yet to be released pertaining to it.

The SEC is the gold standard in conferences and Slive is acknowledged as the best commish. If they/he made it clear that they wouldn't touch T A&M unless they were free and clear you can be sure that they saw a liability on the 'poaching' conference's part that they wanted nothing to do with. B12 will soon admit defeat on WV invite and go another route to save their TV deal if they have any intellegence at all. My hope is this all ends up in the courts so that discovery can reveal the sordid mess that is college athletics.
these arent analogous situations though. The SEC was not trying to stabilize itself after another conference took its teams. It was merely expanding. The B12 is trying to repair damage and maintain its viability. Let me just say I am not a fan of the move to the B12 by WVU - we have nothing in common or any history with those schools, nor do I like that they are attempting to leave early. However, IMO, at the end of the day, it will merely come down to $$ and WVU will be playing in the B12 in 2012. This is just simplistic contract law, and you cannot enforce specific performance, the ony remedy is monetary.
the un-analogous (word?) detail that you identify is not pertinent to the fact that 'poaching' is judged to be too expensive by the premier conference/commissioner. B12 simply cannot afford the potential liability in their weakened state. and WV has made a horrible long term decision for their athletic teams. they go from being the potential kingpin of a BCS conference while maintaining meaningful rivalries to becoming an afterthought as the out-of-place buffoons (sorry; this is perception) with little hope of ever developing a true rival. this is far worse than Miami's decision to go to the ACC and you can see how that has worked out for them.

whether they made a good decision or not is nothing but speculation at this point. only time will tell. but wvu will have no meaningful rivalries remaining in the new BE, so i dont get where you are getting that from. your perception may be they are buffoons, but that isnt the jist i get (in general) from the national media or the other B12 schools. the buffoon perception seems to me to be concentrated in current BE membership only, and seems more to be driven by angst rather than objectivity.

The B12 is not through yet - there have already been discussions about another couple of teams to get back to 12 school, ands it was stated that they should look east to help out the new member wvu with having some regional partners. I think UofL will be invited within a year, and USF, UConn, Rutgers, Cincy will get at least consideration.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I highly doubt that marinatto or anyone else in providence had the foresight to include the specific scenario that happened concerning TCU and what the repurcussions/penalties etc. would be. they have proven they arent very good at being proactive or visionary.
and none of that has been made public, so we really dont know. the only public statements have been vague references that TCU was a different situation by the BE offices, but there is no detailed or factual documentation that has yet to be released pertaining to it.

I have read that with TCU leaving the Big East and TCU followed what was spelled out in the contract language. It was a while ago so I don't have that particular link.

Marianatto may not have a strong personality, but he is the perfect bureaucrat. One thing he is never short on is documentation.

I have read that with TCU leaving the Big East and TCU followed what was spelled out in the contract language. It was a while ago so I don't have that particular link. Marianatto may not have a strong personality, but he is the perfect bureaucrat. One thing he is never short on is documentation.

i am basing my comments on the same timeframe/sources etc. that you are - but no document was released showing what was actually signed/agreed to by TCU - just the references to it by the BE offices/marinatto. you may turn out being right, we simply wont know one way or the other until or unless something has to be made public either through dispositions in the lawsuits, or the BE releasing the document(s). i dont really know enough about marinatto to assess his bureaucratic skills - what do you base this (him being a good bureaucrat) assessment on?

I base this assessment on his prior work for Tranghese as the guy that did all the behind the scenes stuff. It is my understanding that Tranghese was the front man while Marinatto took care of the details and the paperwork. His best work is as the detail guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we've been away, the Rhode Island judge has ordered non-binding mediation. They are to report back to teh udge on Feb 9th to see if they have made any progress. I don't expect to see anything happen with that. It is interesting to see that the RI judge seems to be slowly taking over the case, as I would expect.

• Content Count:  1,204

Since we've been away, the Rhode Island judge has ordered non-binding mediation. They are to report back to teh udge on Feb 9th to see if they have made any progress. I don't expect to see anything happen with that. It is interesting to see that the RI judge seems to be slowly taking over the case, as I would expect.

I have a feeling that the WV case will get thrown out in the next month. The language from his first refusal to dismiss indicated that he was going to allow WVU some time to prove the case shouldn't be dismissed, but he sounded unimpressed with their arguments to that point.

I think the Big East will still to forcing WVU to stay for at least a year if any settlement is to be reached. They will correctly state that leaving with such short notice not only volates the proposed and agreed to by WVU, but that it would also do harm to the conference.

If WVU sticks to wanting to move next year then I don't see any chance for agreement. The BE will ride it out in court. Damages for WVU and the Big XII if they accept them for next season could be in excess of $100 million. I still doubt the BXII will take them if there is not a firm settlement. They'll go for Nevada or Fresno instead come May.

• Content Count:  820

It's looking like it's done and for a little more than I thought, $24 million, next on tap we have to cancel FSU game next year.

• Content Count:  1,204

It's looking like it's done and for a little more than I thought, $24 million, next on tap we have to cancel FSU game next year.

Link? And I mean a link to more than a twitter feed posted four hours ago and yet to be picked up by ESPN or anyone from a guy who said a few months ago that WVU was going to the SEC.

Archived