• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WVU Case

jvwvu

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/12/23/2012-predictions/index.html#ixzz1hwcQPVL9

4. West Virginia will play in the Big 12. Unless a Rhode Island court grants the Big East's request for a preliminary injunction that will force West Virginia to stay in the league for the next school year -- a long shot, because judges typically don't like to force anyone to do anything before hearing the case -- expect the Mountaineers to join the Big 12 on July 1. Big East officials have said they aren't seeking a buyout and this isn't about money, but everyone has a number. The parties will rattle their sabers publically and negotiate privately, and when they agree upon a number, the deal will get done. Neither side wants either of the dueling cases -- West Virginia filed suit in West Virginia, the Big East in Rhode Island -- to go to trial. As a reporter, I'm obviously rooting for a trial, because lots of interesting nuggets come out when parties air their dirty laundry in the public square. I probably won't get my wish, because cooler heads usually prevail. These cases will be headed to trial until they aren't, at which point West Virginia will be merrily on its way to the Big 12 and Pittsburgh and Syracuse will try to slip out the back door to the ACC.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/12/23/2012-predictions/index.html#ixzz1hx3q1a3h

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1hwcQPVL9

4. West Virginia will play in the Big 12. Unless a Rhode Island court grants the Big East's request for a preliminary injunction that will force West Virginia to stay in the league for the next school year -- a long shot, because judges typically don't like to force anyone to do anything before hearing the case -- expect the Mountaineers to join the Big 12 on July 1. Big East officials have said they aren't seeking a buyout and this isn't about money, but everyone has a number. The parties will rattle their sabers publically and negotiate privately, and when they agree upon a number, the deal will get done. Neither side wants either of the dueling cases -- West Virginia filed suit in West Virginia, the Big East in Rhode Island -- to go to trial. As a reporter, I'm obviously rooting for a trial, because lots of interesting nuggets come out when parties air their dirty laundry in the public square. I probably won't get my wish, because cooler heads usually prevail. These cases will be headed to trial until they aren't, at which point West Virginia will be merrily on its way to the Big 12 and Pittsburgh and Syracuse will try to slip out the back door to the ACC.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1hx3q1a3h

Just one man's opinion.

Also as to my understanding Pitt and Cuse is out next year to ACC for $5 buyout and $3 million fees.

ND will be picking a conference for 2014, when NBC does not allow them to be independent and wants them to join "BE". NBC wants ND to play a minimum "6 game BE schedule"

The conferences will also start hammering the Big East about the AQ status if WVU is not released. The Big 12 will get this help from SEC for letting Mizzou go. Also the other small conferences will jump on board having BE lose their AQ status.

Now what I hope is that ND and UConn announce they are leaving for ACC this spring, and UL and someone else to Big 12, with the 2 basketball teams (I think Nova and Marquette) starting their own conference with the teams named above to basically kill the Big East.

The big stickler with the Big 12 and the next 6 years, all schools will be signing away their television rights, this appears to be the only way to get money from the Universities.

• Content Count:  1,204

Also as to my understanding Pitt and Cuse is out next year to ACC for $5 buyout and $3 million fees.

ND will be picking a conference for 2014, when NBC does not allow them to be independent and wants them to join "BE". NBC wants ND to play a minimum "6 game BE schedule"

The conferences will also start hammering the Big East about the AQ status if WVU is not released. The Big 12 will get this help from SEC for letting Mizzou go. Also the other small conferences will jump on board having BE lose their AQ status.

Now what I hope is that ND and UConn announce they are leaving for ACC this spring, and UL and someone else to Big 12, with the 2 basketball teams (I think Nova and Marquette) starting their own conference with the teams named above to basically kill the Big East.

The conferences will have nothing they can do.

And WVU will not leave early if they can't reach a settlement. The potential damages are too great if they don't have a settlement or a clear ruling. And if the Big XII admits them without that then the Big XII can be sued as well for big money.

The Big XII will not accept West Virginia if they are not in the clear. And they won't be unless they get a clear ruling. The WV trial date is too late for a clear ruling to come by the necessary time. If the Big East insists on a trial then WVU goes nowhere next season. They can try, but no other conference will touch them for fear of lawsuit - and I'll bet the Big East has sent a letter making it clear the intent to sue anyone who admits a BE member before the 24 month period is up.

The BCS conferences also will not put any kind of pressure on the BE because threatening to screw you over if you don't let a school go would also make them liable to civil suit.

You're dreaming if you think WVU gets out cleanly. WVU is going to get drug through the mud on this one while Pitt and Cuse were smart enough not to try to leave early. They still have not filed any kind of suit. They're letting WVU bear the burden here.

The kicker for WVU is if they promised the BXII that they could get out and they can't then they can be sued by that conference. Any way you look at it, WVU created a mess that hopefully will bankrupt their football program or come close to it. The AD and the Prez will probably end up out the door when all is said an done.

And the judge in WV clearly has shown in his statements that he thinks WVU has a weak case.

As for the public corporation, the CPB is as well and it is tax exempt. Public corporations do business across state lines.

If the RI and WV courts have different findings then it will go Federal. But until there is a clear resolution the Big XII will be liable if they take WVU and the Fed court rules against WVU. Then both WVU and the Big XII could get hit with severe damages. I guarantee you that the Big XII will not do that. If they need a team for next year and WVU is not in the clear by April or early May, they will go to Nevada or Fresno and rescind WVU's invite or decide to wait until 2014 for them.

One way or the other, WVU looks to be screwed. Good for them.

http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1hwcQPVL9

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1hx3q1a3h

Doubtful. The Big East will go to trial. WVU must stay next year to get an early out. If they don't then they go nowhere.

The by-laws are an agreed upon contract and the court will enforce the contract. I expect the WV case will get dismissed in the next several weeks because WVU will not be able to make its case. The Big XII will bail on WVU while Pitt and Cuse end up stuck as well. WVU will be excluded from the new TV deal and allowed to leave in 2014. No conference will want them because they'll have a reputation for backstabbing and lying. They will have traded trips to BCS bowls for minor bowls playing the MAC. The MAC might take them, though Marshall might protest.

Unless the WV judge orders an injuction we are gone!

BYE

Enjoy Conference USA 2.0

:D

Unless the WV judge orders an injuction we are gone!

BYE

Enjoy Conference USA 2.0

:D

The Big XII won't take you, so good luck with that. Unless all the legal hurdles are cleared, the Big XII will seek to avoid liability. If both the RI and WV cases go forward, it will likely get consolidated into a Federal case since it ultimately does involve interstate commerce. If the RI judge or the WV issues an injunction then WVU cannot leave. They can without the injunction, the the Big XII will not take them without everything cleared up. That's just how it is.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Oh boy...

Your sources haven't been great so far, they are pretty much homers. Probably the same low grade attorneys that put together the original WVU filing that was high on bluster and short on substance. Did a couple of your first year law students put that together after a long frat party?

I do think the odds of all three being out next year are a lot better than the odds on anyone being out for 2012.

I think you are saying that NBC wants ND in the Big East. I'd be ok with that. :)

The conferences will also start hammering the Big East about the AQ status if WVU is not released. The Big 12 will get this help from SEC for letting Mizzou go.

Swaim was also saying yesterday that the Big 12 "let" Mizzou go. The Big 12 didn't have any choice. There weren't any time conditions in the Big 12 bylaws. Really, does anyone think the Big 12 would have "let" Mizzou leave in 2012 if they had any choice at all? They are risking voiding their TV contract by not having enough teams for 2012. You'd have to be an idiot to think the Big 12 "let" them go to be nice. They had no choice. The Big East has better bylaws. Thanks for that, WVU.

Also the other small conferences will jump on board having BE lose their AQ status.

I think it is much more likely that the whole BCS thing changes. Front and center, the Big East has a quote from the BC AD that ESPN was involved in picking off Pitt and Cuse. Talk about discovery! The Big East can cause a huge amount of trouble if someone tries to take BCS AQ away.

I wouldn't necessarily mind the Big East getting killed off, because I think USF will land somewhere good. But I think you are taking some big hits of the good stuff if you believe this has any chance of happening soon. The Big 12 is having enough trouble with WVU to cause any more problems too soon. And UConn has already been rejected once by the ACC. I think the next move will be the SEC taking a couple of ACC teams, but that won't happen for a couple of years.

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

what wv did was in violation of the contract

they will have to pay damages

someone FROM WV will call big east and settle on a number.. THAT NUMBER SHOULD BE BIG

WV WILL NOT DEFY A COURT ORDER

WHY PEOPLE IN CHARGE OF WV ALLOWED IT TO GET THIS FAR IS AMAZING

THE ARROGANCE OF WV POSITION SMACKS OF PENN STATE---

OLIVER LUCK DOESNT SEEM SO SHREWD TOO ME---- HE IS GOING TO COST SCHOOL TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND BAD WILL

WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE HARM IN WAITING A COUPLE OF YEARS

WV IS ACTING LIKE A CRACK HO

Archived