• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

WVU Case

jvwvu

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

So what does this mean? If WVU was held by injunction to play in the Big East until 2012, wouldn't the offer from the B12 (contingent on WVU joining for the 2012 season) be voided? If that was the case, would WVU just remain in the Big East? Would the B12 still want them if it wasn't until 2014?

Or will the other conferences (and ESPN) stop with the conventional attacks on the Big East and start shooting real nukes at us?

As far as "other conferences" I could see the B12 stepping in. It would be a bit much for the other BCS conferences to get involved IMO.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

The Big East standing up and actually holding schools to their contract will help prevent other jostling and will make others think twice about trying to raid the conference again.

That's the elephant in the room, and Marinatto's doing the right thing here. If the BE rolls over for WVU, everyone will assume that they can poach any team they want, whenever they want. By taking this stance, Marinatto has shown that he's got some brass ones and isn't going to go quietly into the night.

About time he showed some resolve...

• Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

Wow, we may have an iron clad by law with no way out and an option for an injunction if someone tries to force their way out. PRICELESS!!! WVU just got F'ed hardcore!! Our commish has drawn a line in the sand and said try to work your way out of this BEYOTCH, I am even telling you what phase 2 is of our plan! I do remember The interim B12 commish stqting that WVU is a new member regardless if they can join in 2012 or not. He said it in the press conference announcing them as a new member. What was promised behind closed doors is a different issue. No matter what, Pitt and Syracuse have handled this exit like professionals and WVU looks like a scorned hooker trying to get her name into a dying mans will. It will be nice to see what the new B12 TV deal looks like. I hope they lose $$$$

• Content Count:  1,203
  • Days Won:  0

So what does this mean? If WVU was held by injunction to play in the Big East until 2012, wouldn't the offer from the B12 (contingent on WVU joining for the 2012 season) be voided? If that was the case, would WVU just remain in the Big East? Would the B12 still want them if it wasn't until 2014?

Or will the other conferences (and ESPN) stop with the conventional attacks on the Big East and start shooting real nukes at us?

I doubt the BXII is willing to wait until 2014. They might be able to get Mizzou to stay one more year, but I guarantee they won't do any more than that. They have two legit options for next year - Fresno State and Nevada. Nevada fits better geographically. Both are leaving the WAC and can bail on the MWC before they join. So I'd expect that BXII will make a move before the NCAA basketball tournament finishes. I wouldn't be surprised if an injunction is issued in RI or WV against WVU by then - at least a temporary injunction that will prevent them from leaving next year. The trial date in WV prevents a decision before they need to leave, so I'd expect a temporary injunction by then.

I still am not sure Pitt and Cuse will leave. I have a suspicion that they left to get things rolling with the BE and give them options. If the BE doesn't get a better TV contract then they stick with the plan and go ACC. If the larger BE gets a better per year deal than the ACC then they stay and forfeit their ACC application fee. They've both set themselves up for a win/win scenario. WVU, however, fumbled the ball by trying to push a move so fast and they assumed Marinatto didn't have the balls to fight them.

If this case is won by the Big East then the implications are huge. It means that once all the teams are on board for the future (Boise, Navy, Houston, etc) that other conferences will think twice just because they don't want to have to wait so long when they can pick someone else off and only wait a year.

• Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

I doubt the BXII is willing to wait until 2014. They might be able to get Mizzou to stay one more year, but I guarantee they won't do any more than that. They have two legit options for next year - Fresno State and Nevada. Nevada fits better geographically. Both are leaving the WAC and can bail on the MWC before they join. So I'd expect that BXII will make a move before the NCAA basketball tournament finishes. I wouldn't be surprised if an injunction is issued in RI or WV against WVU by then - at least a temporary injunction that will prevent them from leaving next year. The trial date in WV prevents a decision before they need to leave, so I'd expect a temporary injunction by then.

I still am not sure Pitt and Cuse will leave. I have a suspicion that they left to get things rolling with the BE and give them options. If the BE doesn't get a better TV contract then they stick with the plan and go ACC. If the larger BE gets a better per year deal than the ACC then they stay and forfeit their ACC application fee. They've both set themselves up for a win/win scenario. WVU, however, fumbled the ball by trying to push a move so fast and they assumed Marinatto didn't have the balls to fight them.

If this case is won by the Big East then the implications are huge. It means that once all the teams are on board for the future (Boise, Navy, Houston, etc) that other conferences will think twice just because they don't want to have to wait so long when they can pick someone else off and only wait a year.

Mizzou is not staying, the 2012 SEC schedule was released today and they are on it. Arkansas has an opening, Lets set that game up Wollard! :)

The B12 is hurting right now. They put all their chips riding on WVU coming over in 2012. There is a 0% chance that the BE lets them buy out of the deal after the crap they pulled. I say we go after Nevada as the Wester replacement for Air Force. That would really screw them up!

Mizzou is not staying, the 2012 SEC schedule was released today and they are on it. Arkansas has an opening, Lets set that game up Wollard! :)

The B12 is hurting right now. They put all their chips riding on WVU coming over in 2012. There is a 0% chance that the BE lets them buy out of the deal after the crap they pulled. I say we go after Nevada as the Wester replacement for Air Force. That would really screw them up!

I'd rather have Fresno. Better fanbase and Nevada is in Reno, not Vegas. If we decide on Fresno or Nevada then we need to act before June because they can come in next year. We could have a nine team league next year still if they come on board.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

When do the Big East football schedules normally come out? I think we should go ahead and roll out the 2012 schedules with West Virginia in it.

When do the Big East football schedules normally come out? I think we should go ahead and roll out the 2012 schedules with West Virginia in it.

I'd do that and see if Fresno State wants to come in next year for football to join Boise and SDSU out west the following year. We'd get eight conference games then next year and would have our Air Force replacement. Whenever Navy makes it official that will give us 15 for 2013.

• Content Count:  820

Latest Tweet -

http://Orangebloods.com has learned #TCU will play Texas on Thanksgiving in Austin in 2012 and #WVU will also play Texas in Austin in 2012.

Busy with work to respond.

RI has ruled that WV is a public corporation. If RI tells us we have to stay and WV courts says we don't, do you think WVU will be playing in the Big East next year?

If RI rules against us for $100 million, I beat a WV court rules for us for $110 million.

We are gone accept it.

In the end we will pay $13 -$18 mill this year and be gone. You will get Boise St this year to take over our schedule.

Also note this:

"The discussions are preliminary and may not lead to any departures, but could signal dissatisfaction among at least some of the basketball schools with the league’s uncertain future or its choice of new members.

According to sources who were involved in the discussions at two Big East institutions, the colleges have discussed the possibility of a so-called Super Basketball Conference that could seek to add Butler, Temple, Xavier, or others. The sources were unwilling to publicly identify either institution because of the early stage of talks."

Note: BBall does not have buyout with money or time.

• Content Count:  820

The best explaination I have received from a law type on this is in a construction setting, if you enter into an agreement with a painter to paint your house, and half way through he up and quits and you sue him, does the judge make him come back and do the job. No, their is a monetary damage penalty paid by the contractor, or the bonding agency. This is the process that will be taken.

ESPN is pushing the Big 12 to regenotiate their contract early, why because they want to tie down all the Big conferences down prior to NBC 24 hour sports channel gets up and running.

Here is a quote from a UL fan that appears to have the law experience, even though the judge ruled WVU is a public corporation.

"WVU does seem bound and determined to play next year in the B12, and, like I say, in the end I think they will. If an injunction were granted to the BE, however, precluding WVU from leaving the BE early, I do think WVU would, in fact, obey the injunction, although, as I say, since WVU is part of the State of West Virginia, WVU might be able to get away with ignoring an injunction. Note I said "might". This is a complication beyond the purview of this puny, haphazard post.

As for punitive damages, they are out, period, end of story. You cannot recover punitive damages from a state unless the state has passed a law allowing you to recover punitive damages against the state. I know zero about WV law, but I am extremely certain WV ain't gonna let you recover punitives against them. Just isn't going to lie because there's no way WV has passed such a law. You can only recover from the sovereign what the sovereign says you can recover, and then typically only up to a certain cap of money.

Maybe some kind of applicable money cap is WVU's "ace in the hole"? Oliver Luck is a lawyer, and, from what I can tell, he's a pretty shrewd dude. Nah, it's a contract case so undoubtedly contract principles apply."

If WVU is a public corporation should we not be paying taxes, because we clearly have a Tax Exempt Federal ID number.

Archived