• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why the outrage for Coach McCullum???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

I dont understand why there are so many fans wanting to get rid of McCullum already. We are obviously better than last season's team. Already 3 C-USA wins and counting with a good chance at making the C-USA tourny. To me, making the C-USA tourny is good enough for me this year because of the key loss to Mosley. And before you so-called Darksiders call that excuse, let me remind you that Mosley one of USF's top offensive players. You honesly think that USF loses to STL, Houston, Memphis, UAB (at home), and Marq with Mosley in the game?? I serioulsy doubt we would lose all those games. It is time to put this season into perspective and realise that USF's season ended before it started. Sure we are better, but we are still far away from making the NCAA's and NIT. We just need more of McCullum's players to come in next season. Lets give McCullum at least two years before we cry for a coaching change. 2 more years is a lot more fair than calling for his head now. How do you think other coaches would feel about USF if we got rid of a well respected coach like McCullum because he could not turn it around in just 2 years at USF?? It would send a terrible message for other coaches not to come to USF because of the quick axe to our current coach. I hope McCullum is given at least two more years to change our program into a respected tough team to beat. I am not asking for a powerhouse, I am just asking for USF to stay out of the bottom of the BIG EAST in the future.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

good points except

i would love to see us become a top 25 to 30 team and make the tourny at least 5 times a decade.....

ok, am i day dreaming way too much ???

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Coach has made some drastic moves since comming here. My only beef is that he responds too negativly to the players when they do something wrong, and has not too many atta boys! Reward as much as punish! I think the players are affraid to do something on the court for fear of retribution from coach. They are too tight out there. I think a disiplined but more relaxed style is needed. To me and my observation, this is what's going on.  Any thoughts to this?   Reaper

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Problem is BB2k with McCullum they will be in the bottom of the BE for years to come and the next two are almost a lock.  So for those that feel the Dark side is thinking on a myopic level I think they see the future clearer. Two years of being on the bottom of C-USA and two more coming being on the bottom of the BE.  Then a new rebuilding process starts and two more years of being on the bottom.  Not acceptable.  If one player makes that much difference to a team he should be an NBA quality type player that dominates a game, we lost one very good scorer.  And yes a clear message should be sent that if you cann't make USF competetive in the BE in two years we don't want you as our coach.  After all this is now a coaching position in argueably the best conference in college basketball and you would think some young coaches out there would love the opportunity to coach in the BE.  If you see recruits coming in under Mac that you feel can make this team competitive in the BE then tell me about because I don't.  I think success at USF should be an NCAA tournament appearance once every four to five years and an NIT stuck in between.  I will say I like Macs philosophy of education,discipline and coaching but I just don't see him as the guy that will get us to the the Dance.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

And who is the guy that woudl get us to the dance.. since we dont' have any coach k's coming here in the near future?

Instead of saying we have the wrong guy... make suggestions for fixing your perceived problem?

I think Mac is the right coach for now... and unless there is another viable option... that will not change.

(it won't change for a couple years anyway)

Guest S.  Bien

Here, here BB2K has become a beacon of sensibility!

Good post, McCullum suffered a major set-back on a team that was extremely shallow in depth and scoring to begin with when Mosley was hit with cancer.  

You all are Bulls, RIGHT?  I am on the USF Bulls Board am I right?  Where are all these lofty expectations coming from because you are all Bulls right?  If your a Bull then not meeting expectations, and exceeding goals is common place.  

Anyway, McCullum's impressed me with his ability to find solid players and develop them.  This late season recruiting class is really his make or break class.  McCullum has three scholarships to give.  He needs to give at least two of them to players talented enough, and willing to come in and contribute from day one.  As a line-up Cann, Buckley, Howard, Jones, Dennis, and Prek is not real ugly, and capable of snagging wins in Milwaukee, Providence, NYC, New Jersey, Morgantown, and possibly Washington D.C.  It's not a declaration we'll win all those games, but that collection of talent could beat most of those teams.  

Guest Turkey Shizzler

brahman_bull2k, what is this "turn it around'' you refer to with the program? mr. mccullum is the one who gutted the program last year so it hit bottom. he is trying to turn around the terrible team HE created. he was not left with a terrible team. no way. he made the decision to rid the team of many players (baxter, baker, barber, oglesby) by one means or another. that's fine, a new coach can do that. but then you must replace those guys with good players. that has not happened and there are no signs of it happening.

You ask the question How do you think other coaches would feel about USF if we got rid of a well respected coach like McCullum because he could not turn it around in just 2 years at USF?? It would send a terrible message for other coaches not to come to USF because of the quick axe to our current coach.

baloney. it would send the message that our new ad, mr. woolard, recognized that the coach wasn't getting the job done and wanted to bring in someone who could get it done.

i want the best for usf hoops. i understand our limitations. i iunderstand our advantages. i understand where we've been, who we are and where we are going - the big east. and i know we are not headed anywhere near the best we can be under mr. mccullum.

the evidence is overwhelming. his recruiting has been consistently poor. that is a fact. his staff is uninspiring. his players, swift and leather usually excepted, are substandard. many many players and coaches have left in part because mr mccullum apparently is difficult man to get along with. attendance is horrifying primarily becasue the team is not good but also at least in some part because mr. mccullum has no charisma. all of the aforementioned are distinctly worse for this program after nearly two years under mr. mccullum than they were under greenie, and even greenie supporters were a little disappointed with how things were under him. so then how are they better now? tell me who the players are that are going to make us better the next year and the year after? they do not exist.

the program desperately needs a transfusion at the top. this is so easy to see that it is stunning to me that others can't see it.