• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

March 22nd - Spring Football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Putting the spring game in the soccer field is a huge fatal error.  if the concern is the $20k, make the sponsor pony up for it.  If the concern is getting people there, then do a carnival, a concert, a food festival, make it an event, not just a scrimmage.

I was thinking of flying in for the spring game, not anymore.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  231
  • Days Won:  0

I remember a couple of years ago the spring game was in the soccer stadium and the place was packed.  I think by having it in the soccer stadium it gives for a better atmospher to the players and the fans.  I think by them tying it in with baseball and softball games it will benefit the athletic program has a whole.  

I think this was a very smart idea.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

On campus is an excellent idea with a basebull game right after and a festival.  Dad watches the games and Mom & the kids peruse the festival.  Plus the soccer stadium is so much more close to the action/Sun Dolls/cheerleaders.  Yes, you can call me BullPerv too.  

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

In 2000, the Spring Game was in the soccer stadium... it was awesome... you could actually here the ladies screaming your name throughout the game. A lot of fond memories of that day. Brett brings up a couple valid points IMO, but at the same time it looks like someone pissed him off. We don't have a true Marketing Department at USF for athletics... we have Veit who is responsible for many various tasks which encompasses Marketing... maybe this is where the university needs to put some funding into instead of renovating the Marshall Center... not the campus hangout like they make it appear. Create a true marketing department for athletics and let them goto town to get USF moving forward... then donations will come! Sometimes you have to take two steps backwards before you can move forward.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

The MAIN reason for USF having the spring game at Ray Jay was to be able to sell SEASON TICKETS!

What good is having a spring game on campus if USF doesn't sell season tickets?

Yes, many more students will attend at the soccer stadium but they DO NOT buy season tickets.

Evidently, USF does not think that it can be successful in selling season tickets at the spring game in Ray Jay, or they wouldn't be thinking of changing it back to the soccer stadium.

USF needs to lure PROSPECTIVE season ticket holders by making going to the spring game at Ray Jay ATTRACTIVE to THEM.

There are a number of ways to do that, especially with USF moving up in class to the Big East, but evidently it's a lot easier for USF to hold it on campus.

Brett is disappointed because he thought USF would pull out all the stops this year and start doing things big time.  

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Well, if we want to be a big time football programme, we need to think big. Most major schools have sellouts for their spring game.

Let's not get carried away. Most major programs have more for their spring game than we average for our regular games but I doubt many, if any, have sellouts.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,075
  • Days Won:  469

The MAIN reason for USF having the spring game at Ray Jay was to be able to sell SEASON TICKETS!

I wonder how many of the sparse crowd last year actually bought season tickets?  Let's say one hundred.  That would be at least $20,000+/100 USF paid $200+ per season ticket...there's a WTF!!!  for you.  

We do not have the critical mass in fan base to justify holding the Spring Game at RJS.  I don't it is a matter of it being easier to hold it on campus again, I think it is a matter of good financial sense.

I tried to find pictures with people in them at the Spring Game last year....I must have gone through 25.  I just don't see how anyone could call last year's Spring Game a success.  Beyond the $20K to Glazers/TSA, there is additional expense to USF.  Until we can build the demand for the season ticket and get at least 20K in attendance for the "event", then I don't see the value in RJS - other than to fool ourselves that we are "big time."

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Most major programs DO NOT have spring game sell outs.  They usually have 20-35K.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Big time football requires big time thinking.  I think Brett is right.  This is one of our chances.  Now that I think about it why didn't our season ticket renewal package include a flyer promoting the game ?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

It shouldn't be an either or situation.

We can use the soccer stadium for one of the spring scrimmages and have a festival on campus that day, to help build up excitement for the spring game which would still take place at Ray Jay a week or two later.

I agree 100% with Howie ... and we are in serious trouble if we're worried about 20K ... attendance wouldn't drop if we had to pay $5 per head(kids free of course) ... let's make this an event at OUR stadium.

100_6796004.jpg

BTW, I'm in this pic  8)

Go BULLS !!!