• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

you don't say

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

McCullum Says USF's Effort Leaves Plenty To Be Desired

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGBTOH0H05E.html

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Feb 10, 2005

TAMPA - At halftime, one of the officials leaned over press row and suggested the officiating crew plus two media members could have fared better than South Florida did in the first half.

The sad part was he was absolutely right.

Missing 22 of 25 first-half shots, the bumbling and stumbling Bulls had - this is no misprint - 12 points at halftime on their way to a 55-47 loss to Saint Louis on Wednesday night.

``We come out like we're the best team in the nation,'' USF senior guard Brian Swift said. ``That's our body language, attitude. We still feel like we belong, we come out nonchalant like we should be the best.

``But teams feel like, `They were last [in Conference USA] last year, we don't care, we're going to come in and beat them and leave.' ''

That's exactly what the Billikens did - even with leading scorer Reggie Bryant home in St. Louis with a stomach flu.

The Billikens (6-16, 4-6) own the nation's worst scoring offense - ranking last of the 326 Division I teams - but they were a scoring juggernaut compared to the bad news Bulls.

USF made three first-half field goals. It's one thing not to know what a Billiken is, but a basket?

With six minutes to play before halftime, USF was 1-for- 16 from the field with more turnovers (eight) than points (six). After the Bulls' first-half dirty dozen, USF trailed 26-12, and never came closer than five points in the second half. And that wasn't until the final 77 seconds.

The Bulls didn't score on consecutive possessions until 14:34 remained in the game.

``We didn't come to play,'' Swift said. ``This game meant nothing, that's how we took it - like the game meant nothing.''

Swift needed 22 shots to score a game-high 21 points, while the rest of the Bulls combined for 26 points.

USF senior forward Terrence Leather, who didn't practice Monday and Tuesday because of the flu, went 0-for-5 from the field and finished with three points and seven rebounds.

``I can talk about the flu and all this sickness, but I just wasn't tough,'' said Leather, who had a 107-temperature Monday. ``I felt like I was weak. Once I put on my uniform I try to block that out and let the game take over.''

USF senior Marlyn Bryant also was battling the flu and had six points and four steals.

The Bulls shot 29.4 percent from the field, including 12 percent in the first half.

USF coach Robert McCullum sensed it might be a long night after watching the team's lackadaisical attitude during Wednesday afternoon's shoot- around.

``We just didn't play with any intensity, effort was lacking,'' McCullum said. ``There are going to be games you don't shoot well, but you have to find ways to hang around. I wish I could put my finger on why or what happened.''

The Bulls (10-11, 3-7) fell into an 11th-place tie in C-USA with Tulane, only one game ahead of 13th-place East Carolina. Only the top 12 teams advance to the C-USA Tournament.

``We should have come out hungrier than anyone,'' said USF guard Collin Dennis, who had nine points. ``We were picked last. We should come out and prove to everyone we're not the worst team in the league.''

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  1,266

if I would have known Leather had a 107 temp on Monday and that Bryant also had the flu, I would've picked ST Louis

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991

107 Temp, arent you dead? or atleast trying to be saved by the ER Doc's

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Absolutely pathetic - Woolard will not tolerate this for long, especially against his former school.  12 first half points!!  Way to get 'em ready for the game MAC.  We seem to reach new lows every week with this guy.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

What lows did we reach last week?

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

Beastie is the only fan that can call two USF wins last week a low. Go figure.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

107 Temp, arent you dead? or atleast trying to be saved by the ER Doc's

That's exactly what I thought when I first read that this morning.  No way you walk away from a 107 temp.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

I've had a 104 on a few occasions and not been to the hospital.

Maybe that'll explain a few episodes in my life :)

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i doubt he had 107

hey bad games happen