• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

PolySci vs. Sociology vs. Ecnomics

Griggsy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

Looking for some opinion on the pros/cons and insights into these graduate programs at USF. I come from a social science (broad) background, and I am already secure in my career.  Assuming the knowledge gained from either would be about equal, then what other things should I take into consideration?

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Lots of math in economics. Calc 1-3, linear algebra, statistical regression, etc

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

i live by the belief that school should supplement the knowledge you'll learn on the job.  economics seems to me like the most bang for the buck and it can be applied to multple fields.  then again i'm an engineer and i think that way, to take it FWIW

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not sure what kind of return on your investment you could get with PolySci or Sociology. What I can tell you, is we all made fun of them in the economics department.

I would also consider time. I know for me I had to invest a lot of time studying and doing practice work to get my masters in economics.

Obviously, a Ph. D in any program will require a dissertation. For a masters degree in economics, you will only need to complete an oral examine.

Archived