• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaching changes?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

Give Hobbie a QB, a real RB, a stable of WR's, and an OL with depth plus some versatile TE's and he will do well.   As I always state I will not defend Smith in the same manner, but what I saw from Hobbie this year has changed my perception of him.

Give me that and an opportunity at the job and I would do well too!  Hell give a monkey talent at every offensive position as you suggested and a dart to throw at the playbook and he would probably do well too.  Isnt the definition of a GOOD coach someone who is able to do great things without having all the tools to do so?  Hobbie has not been able to do that.  If you want to give him another chance, thats fine, but to say give him a talented QB, RB, WR, OL, TE and he will be fine, is kind of ridiculous you have to admit.  

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i am shocked if these offensive coaches stay

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

i am shocked if these offensive coaches stay

Show us your best "shocked" look then :o

Go BULLS !!!

Guest S.  Bien

Give me that and an opportunity at the job and I would do well too!  Hell give a monkey talent at every offensive position as you suggested and a dart to throw at the playbook and he would probably do well too.  Isnt the definition of a GOOD coach someone who is able to do great things without having all the tools to do so?  Hobbie has not been able to do that.  If you want to give him another chance, thats fine, but to say give him a talented QB, RB, WR, OL, TE and he will be fine, is kind of ridiculous you have to admit.  

Bullcrap.  Don't flatter yourself.  He needs a decent QB.  PJ didn't hit 50% of his passes-50%.  I defend PJ because I think he could be better, but the past year no coach in 1-A could win consistently with a passer like that, and a team that surrendered that many yards and points to the opposition.

If you think so then fire your resume off.  He needs 1-A talent, I am not talking about decent talent, I mean 1-A talent.  PJ, Banks, Kraky those guys were projects at best!

**** this is a ridiculous place at times.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Dam it Et you stole my line.  JL has already said he plans on making no coaching changes this year.  Sorry smazza.

Bein, we have gone through this before but I would ask you this.  If you feel Hobbie is a good OC(I do) then wouldn't he have his eye on the QB and his progress ?  It is his guy, Smith doing the QB coaching therefore his job(Hobbie) to ensure its done right.  Since Smith is still there and Hobbie is doing a good job you gotta give Smith the benifit of the doubt at this point.  Unless you feel Hobbie doesn't know the QB position and how to develope it which I doubt.  

Guest S.  Bien
Dam it Et you stole my line.  JL has already said he plans on making no coaching changes this year.  Sorry smazza.

Bein, we have gone through this before but I would ask you this.  If you feel Hobbie is a good OC(I do) then wouldn't he have his eye on the QB and his progress ?  It is his guy, Smith doing the QB coaching therefore his job(Hobbie) to ensure its done right.  Since Smith is still there and Hobbie is doing a good job you gotta give Smith the benifit of the doubt at this point.  Unless you feel Hobbie doesn't know the QB position and how to develope it which I doubt.  

Well, using your logic should Leavitt be fired as well because the HC should be checking on the progress of his coordinators and everyone knows he's responsible for recruiting players.

The point truly is our 01, and 02 teams were extremely senior ladened talent.  Much like FAU was blessed with this past year when they managed to beat some 1-A teams as a 1-AA intermediary.   We are flattering ourselves by thinking that we had the talent or team in 03, or 04 to do much of anything.  

I regress and say much of the really quality 1-A talent is very young, and still developing.  Also, in 03 a few problems occurred.  1. we found out Banks was just a solid practice player, and didn't have the head or heart for starting in 1-A- conclusion we recruited QB BAD; 2. we needed more consistency at WR, and size along the line; 3.  JR Reed, Verpaele, Mojo, Davenport,and Brown were **** good players.

Then in 04' we got hit with some serious adversity.  Johnny Jones gets a season ending, almost life ending injury, we lose Brian Fisher our big play threat, the hurricanes throw off this teams scheduling and rhythm.  We discover that despite previous reports PJ is still not ready to start at a 1-A level.  We see that losing Kenny Robinson to academics was also a huge blow, and Tim Jones decision to red-shirt took some passing rushing prowess away from the line.

The team regressed, it had to fall back on youngsters.  LRS Jr. missed two games, Cedric Battle missed two (one by his own choosing), and there was literally a game where our only senior was undersized Craig Kobel, and Camon on defense.  We scored a lot of points as a team, racked up yardage, but without a consistent passing threat we were grounded, inconsistent QB never allowed us to fall back on a passing game.

I don't think Hobbie is wonderful.  I think he did a very fine job in 2004, and that clearly earned him a free pass into 2005.  Hobbie's offense was artful, it was creative, he changed to adapt to the strengths of Hall, he made plays to focus on Hall.  He started using the TE.  The guy did some very good things, and for that Hall should be grateful.

That doesn't mean Hobbie gets a free-pass forever, or that if the offense spurters next year we won't begin questioning, but he did a good job in 2004, and earned a breather until 2006.  I am not as high on Rod Smith, I think he's a weak link, he's the QB coach, he's involved in the passing game coordination, and QB recruiting.  A lot of little things just tell me Rod's time is coming to an end.

But in summary, many Bull's fans need to get grounded back in reality.  Beating 1-AA opponents, or playing 7 1-A teams doesn't make us a great team, or program.  What Leavitt's recruited the past three years despite our newness is nothing short of amazing.  These kids and this team need to step up now, we need to make a move.  The athletes are there, the QB's the only weak link, and it's literally hand-cuffed our offense for two years.  I just hope it won't be for three years.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

He needs 1-A talent, I am not talking about decent talent, I mean 1-A talent.  PJ, Banks, Kraky those guys were projects at best!

Well that is not what you said in your original post.  You said "Give Hobbie a QB, a real RB, a stable of WR's, and an OL with depth plus some versatile TE's and he will do well."  Nothing about "1-A talent" in that sentence.  It sounded to me like you were implying that if he had top talent at those positions Hobbie would do a good job, that is why I commented on the post.  Next time put 1-A talent in the sentence if you mean 1-A talent b4 jumping on me.  I am not a mind reader.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

sticking with this offensive staff will be leavitt's downfall i fear

hope i am wrong