• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top Local Prospects Share Unique Bond (Tyriq McCord)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,521
  • Days Won:  10

I would love to see Tyriq playing for us!

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/prep-sports/2011/aug/10/2/spnewso1-competition-between-college-prospects-ar-249569/

Lakewood High senior defensive lineman Dante Fowler remembers the first time he saw Jefferson's Tyriq McCord in action.

It was during a summer football combine at Jefferson before their junior years.

"He was big and I was still skinny at the time," Fowler said. "He was real good. That was my first time having competition at a camp."

They saw each other again that summer during an unofficial visit to South Florida and exchanged numbers and became friends. Now, heading into their senior years, they are two of the top two defensive ends in the Bay Area and top college prospects in the country.

Fowler (6-foot-3, 240 pounds), who is verbally committed to Florida State, has been rated by Scout.com as the fifth-best defensive end in the country and rated a five-star prospect. McCord (6-foot-3, 225 pounds) received a four-star rating by Scout.com and is ranked as the No. 22 defensive end in the country. McCord has offers from every major football program in Florida, as well as Southern California, Notre Dame and South Carolina.

Both have received invitations to play in the prestigious U.S. Army All-American game.

Since their first introduction, the two defenders have used each other as a measuring stick in an endless chase of perfection.

"He brings the best out of me," Fowler said. "We try to beat each other out."

"We talk to each other about recruiting and who was the better man that week," McCord said.

Last season, McCord led Hillsborough County with 18.5 sacks as he helped the Dragons take home the Class 3A state championship, the first in school history. Though he won the state title, Fowler edged him in sacks with 20. After last season, Fowler was also named to the MaxPreps/U.S. Air Force Defense All-American first-team.

On the field, McCord's Dragons are 3-0 against Fowler's Spartans. Jefferson beat Lakewood, 50-14, this past season and as sophomores, Jefferson won the regular season game, 27-6, and defeated the Spartans, 20-15, in the Class 3A state region semifinals.

This summer, the two have engaged in trash talking about which will have the better season.

"Just for bragging rights," McCord said.

"I told him I'm getting 30 sacks this season," Fowler said. "I'm trying to be Mr. Florida."

Earlier this year, Fowler and McCord attended the Under Armour combine in Orlando and most recently, "Friday Night Lights" at the University of Florida. As always, Fowler said the competition between the two was intense.

"I watch what he does and try to do better, then he tries to do better," Fowler said.

The friends said they are very similar in technique and skill.

"We bring the same to the table," Fowler said. "We're both fast off the edge. He can stand up and play linebacker. I bring more bulk and power to the game."

"(College) coaches say how similar we are with using us in their system," McCord said. "He has more lower body (strength) and I have more upper body. He uses more power and I use speed."

Fowler hasn't pressured McCord about potentially joining him in Tallahassee. He wants him make a decision that's in his best interest.

"He's more of a Florida and South Carolina guy anyway," he said.

In January, they want to end their prep careers together at the Under Armour All-American game at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg. Fowler has already received his invitation.

"He's going to get his (invitation)," Fowler said.

"We want to do that together," McCord said.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Jefferson’s McCord set for UM, ready to chop list

By Preston Jackson– August 5, 2011 7:19 pm

Posted in: BAY AREA BITES, HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, RECUITING

Tyriq McCord update: Jefferson senior defensive end, Tyriq McCord is scheduled to visit the University of Miami next Sunday(8/14) for his last unofficial visit of the summer. Currently McCord has tons of verbal scholarship offers and is still open in regards to recruiting. However he does plan to chop his “top schools†list to 8 or 10 by the 23rd of august. Around that time he will also announce which National All Star game he will play in.

Bryan_Holt Bryan Holt

by RivalsCNee

Tampa Jefferson DE Tyriq McCord just told me #SouthCarolina is and always has been in the lead for him.

13 minutes ago

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

We aren't even in the running for tyriq I don't think.

SaveUMFootball Papa Cane

Recruiting Update: 4-Star DE Tyriq McCord, 6'3'' and 220 lbs, visited Miami this Sunday and now lists Miami as a "perfect fit". Top 3 list.

• Content Count:  21,346
  • Days Won:  10

SaveUMFootball Papa Cane

Recruiting Update: 4-Star DE Tyriq McCord, 6'3'' and 220 lbs, visited Miami this Sunday and now lists Miami as a "perfect fit". Top 3 list.

I wonder if he knows what is going to go down at Miami.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

SaveUMFootball Papa Cane

That stuff is changing by the minute, shoot where is MasterMiami this week? >:D

SaveUMFootball Papa Cane

That stuff is changing by the minute, shoot where is MasterMiami this week? >:D

Yeah, I don't think we need to worry about Sean Price or any other USF verbals going to them.

• Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

AutobotMcCord1 Tyriq McCord

by RivalsCNee

Well u can take The University of Miami of my list. i really thought they had a chance. But its all gud. main focus is winnin STATE AGAIN!

• Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

TBO_PrepSports TBO HighSchoolSports

Jefferson DE McCord names his top six bit.ly/pXM4Ns #Gators #Gamecocks #USC #TCU #Canes #Bulldogs

Archived