• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spring breakout players: South Florida

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

Another article by Bennett

Ryne Giddins, DE, Soph: Speaking of time to shine, this could be Giddins' time. The Bulls made a splash when they signed him two years ago, snatching him from the clutches of Florida, USC and other high-profile suitors. An ankle injury prematurely ended his true freshman season and resulted in a redshirt. Last season, the 6-foot-3, 259-pounder played in 12 games, starting two of them, and finished third on the team in sacks with 3.5. The path is clear for him to win a full-time starting job this season, and he could blossom with the opportunity after a strong spring. Giddins still needs to continue to develop and work hard this summer, but all the tools are there.

Terrence Mitchell, WR, Soph.: Is T-Rex about to roar? Mitchell was another high-profile recruit who chose USF over Florida State last year. He was moved from defensive back to receiver to help out that position during the season last year but really made his mark as a punt returner. He showed his speed with a 67-yard punt return against Western Kentucky and a 45-yard touchdown run on a reverse versus Pitt. While the Bulls' receivers struggled as a group this spring, Mitchell made strides as a route-runner and playmaker. The team really needs someone to step up at that position, and Mitchell has the skill to do just that.

Quinterrius Eatmon, OT, RFr.: Eatmon spent last year as the backup right tackle but never got into a game, thus preserving his redshirt. That preparation helped him step right in this spring and take over the starting job seamlessly. Slimmed down to 297 after once weighing 340 pounds, the 6-foot-6 Eatmon is a gym rat who understands the game and plays with good fundamentals. The future is bright for him on the Bulls' offensive line.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/20091/spring-breakout-players-south-florida

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

reading this makes my giddy for our future

• Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

Excited to see Giddins get more sacks this year and hopefully Mitchell becomes a stud this season.

• Content Count:  1,251

pun intended?

• Content Count:  4,642

pun intended?

maybe...  ;)

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

IF DARK HORSE USF is to make a run at big east title

one or two true freshman will have to make an impact

• Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

IF DARK HORSE USF is to make a run at big east title

one or two true freshman will have to make an impact

This is true.  We did last year, I hope this year as well.

• Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Quenton Washington stood out to me in the Spring Game.  He looked to me like he is ready to become the next NFL-bound South Florida Bull at cornerback.  He's playing with enough confidence and a quick enough trigger to justify it, and I believe he could crack into the 4.4's in the 40.  We'll see.  But before he gets into all that, he's going to be a heck of a player for the Bulls this year.

I'm hoping Jerrell Young can step up, he has that ability to be a dominant safety, reminds me a little of Ray Ray Armstrong down in Miami, maybe a little less athletic.  He'll be another guy to watch this year.  JaQuez Jenkins stood out.  He's not there yet and that's why they'll keep on with LeJiste a little more (I honestly don't have much interest in LeJiste) but when Jenkins is ready...yet another good DB in a school that produces DBs.

On offense though...how long will Skip Holtz put up with an inconsistent B.J. Daniels?  That's my question.  There's a reason Matt Floyd got 34 pass attempts during the Spring Game.  They know they have something there.  Young guy, should have been getting ready for his Senior Prom rather than throwing passes in the Spring Game, but he's got that "it" factor.  Reads the field, has the ability to defend himself and still throw punches.  Bobby Eveld does nothing for me.  Floyd's size and arm aren't there yet but that's the beauty of having a 17 or 18 year old kid as opposed to a 21 or 22 year old NFL prospect...things like arm strength and size can still get better.

I think by 2012 we're seeing Matt Floyd throwing passes to Chris Dunkley.

Archived