• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This is Big Time-TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  136
  • Days Won:  0

I'd say the BE will get somewhere in the $170 million dollar range with escalator when/if the BE expands to 12 FB/All-sport teams. All-sport team getting around $14-$16 million a year.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,642

what would we expect the percentage difference to be between a football and a non-football school?  i.e. someone like USF would get X if someone like Marquette gets Y

20 Mil per football school?

You're kidding right?

It will be less than the ACC. The Big East contract will call for a heavy slate of Wednesday/Friday games and will be somewhere in the area of 10 mil per football school when all is said and done.

20 mil...yeah the Big East is going to hammer down numbers bigger than the SEC, PAC-10, and Big 12...

The PAC 12 numbers are 25 per just for TV... and the folks here in Utah expect the numbers to be around 30 million per school.

Yes, I think the total MEDIA package will be about the same $250-$275 million per year total for TV for all 17 Big East teams this includes...

ESPN & Fox for football

ESPN & CBS for basketball

ESPN Radio for football and basketball

The creation of the Big East Network

New online media deals

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Jim,

No way. We're not getting close to PAC-10/SEC money.

My guess is somewhere around 140-175 per year max.

• Content Count:  4,642

I've lost track. what are we at right now per year?

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

USF is making less than $4 million per year from the Big East's current television deal with ESPN.

• Content Count:  136

I know it’s probably a pipe dream but my take on a new BE Contract. I think it would go something like this (if the BE expands to 12 by 2014):

*The new Contract would start in 2013 going 6 years with the following breakout (A 3% increase would be added annually):

2013 (10FB/18BB (Team added in 2012))

BB only teams receive: $6 million

FB/BB teams receive: $13 million ($6 for BB, $7 for FB)

2014 (12FB/19BB (2 Teams added))

BB only: $6.18

FB/BB: $13.39

2015 (12/19)

BB only: $6.37 million

FB/BB: $13.8 million

2016 (12/19)

BB only: $6.55 million

FB/BB: $14.2 million

2017 (12/19)

BB only: $6.75 million

FB/BB: $14.6 million

2018 (12/19)

BB only: $7 million

FB/BB: $15 million

Costing roughly 1.26 Billion over 6 years (Avg would be $6.5 million per BB only and $14 Million FB/BB). It seem reasonable to me and sort of follows along the ACC line.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

USF is making less than $4 million per year from the Big East's current television deal with ESPN.

Pretty sure this is wrong. Source?

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

^^^ EDIT: Disregard you're right.

Each Big East football school gets, on average, $3.67 million a year. The other eight (hoops) schools receive $2 million apiece.

Though, FWIW we're not exactly far behind the Pac-10's current deal:

The reconfigured Pac-10 expects to go from about $5 million per school per year...

So, the Pac-10's current deal is about 1.3x ours. If we assume that ratio stays about the same then the $21-million/yr for the new Pac-12 deal means we'd be getting ~$15-million/yr for the football schools.

Thus, we stand to triple, or if you're cynical double, our current from TV revenue. Not too shabby.

http://blogs.dailymail.com/wvu/2010/06/23/evaluating-and-projecting-big-east-tv-deal/

• Content Count:  138

RE: Basketball. It has value, but not really. Basketball netted us a deal worth about 50 mil per year last time. I would expect that to go up some, but there is very little value in basketball on TV unless you're talking the big dance...and nowhere near the money football commands...

Joe, I think basketball has much more value than people are giving it credit for. Yes, tourney is a big deal, but live sporting events are driving ad revenue for networks because it is actually watched live. When the game is over, the game is over, no need to DVR. You can always catch the last apprentice or survivor.

The reason I am not an advocate for a straight split is because of the join value of the big east basketball product. Looking at past contracts does not provide a relevant basis for what is happening at this moment. People are watching games on their phones, online, and on TV. More avenues than before. Big East basketball inventory was bulky, but if you want to always provide quality games, can you find a better league?

Archived