• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2-sport start Amarri Jackson to USF

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

tanbg-navytab.gif

Former Ram Jackson to play basketball, football at USF

Bulls football coach Jim Leavitt wants to use the former Riverview star, now playing basketball at HCC, at wide receiver and quarterback.

BY ALAN DELL CORRESPONDENT

TAMPA -- Amarri Jackson, one of the finest two-sport athletes to graduate from Riverview High, is planning to return to the football field after a two-year absence.

The 6-foot-5, 190-pound Jackson, who plays basketball at Hillsborough Community College, said he has verbally accepted a scholarship offer to play football for the University of South Florida. He will sign a letter of intent on Feb. 2 and also hopes to play basketball for the Bulls.

A Herald-Tribune All-Area first-team selection in basketball in 2003, Jackson, a sophomore, averages 14 points per game for HCC.

"I've been in contact with the South Florida coaches since high school," Jackson said. "There have been talks about the offer for a long time.

"I also got offers from Florida and South Carolina. I haven't played football in two years so that surprised me, but I verbally committed to South Florida."

In his senior year at Riverview, Jackson played quarterback and wide receiver, earning acclaim for his quickness and athletic ability. On a team that rarely threw passes, Jackson averaged 21.2 yards per reception with 17 catches for 360 yards, including four touchdowns.

In basketball, Jackson averaged 18.3 points and 7.9 rebounds per game with 68 assists, 77 steals and 16 blocked shots his senior year.

"The coaches (at USF) told me they were going to work me at receiver and quarterback and whatever happens, happens," Jackson said. "I chose USF because I've had a good relationship with a lot of the coaches since high school.

"They are moving into the Big East and will play Miami. ... That is a big thing."

Jackson says he's gotten the approval of USF head football coach Jim Leavitt and head basketball coach Robert McCullum to play both sports.

"Coach Leavitt told me he was cool with it and just to make sure I focus on football with off-season workouts," Jackson said.

Riverview High head basketball coach Jim Ward said he spoke to McCullum and the Bulls coach said he was not opposed to a person playing football and basketball.

"I talked with coach McCullum and they are waiting to go see him play.

"But he said he was OK with Amarri playing two sports," Ward said. "Penn State was also recruiting Amarri for basketball. Georgia wanted Amarri for football out of high school, but we felt it was best for him to play basketball because you get better supervision with only 12 players and that is what he needed then."

Story Link

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

6'5 190?  that is a beenpole of a quarterback... don't think we'll see him there.. yet another tall wide receiver

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407

Better Supervision? What the F.... That sounds real fishy to me...  Do we need to assign a parole officer with this kid.... His old coach saying better supervision line scares the crap out of me.... Bien what is the story on this kid, and why are we risking a schollie on a kid that has not played in two years?   How many years elgibility does he have?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

In basketball, 2 or 3 position?

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

6'5" 190, basketball player, needs supervision....  

sounds like Randy Moss to me

if nothing else we should never lose a jumpball with the receiving core we are putting together

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

He better hit the weight room, or his height won't mean too much if he's knocked on the ground by a smaller but stronger db.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

Moss is only listed as 6'4" 204.... so thats probably a slight overstatement, as long he gets in early and starts workign out he will be fine

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Funny how people look at things.  My first reaction was that he went to a comunity college probably because of grades and felt like he wouldn't get lost in the schuffle with a smaller group.  Smart move on his part.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

RECRUITING

Former Ram Jackson to play basketball, football at USF

Bulls football coach Jim Leavitt wants to use the former Riverview star, now playing basketball at HCC, at wide receiver and quarterback.

BY ALAN DELL CORRESPONDENT

TAMPA -- Amarri Jackson, one of the finest two-sport athletes to graduate from Riverview High, is planning to return to the football field after a two-year absence.

The 6-foot-5, 190-pound Jackson, who plays basketball at Hillsborough Community College, said he has verbally accepted a scholarship offer to play football for the University of South Florida. He will sign a letter of intent on Feb. 2 and also hopes to play basketball for the Bulls.

A Herald-Tribune All-Area first-team selection in basketball in 2003, Jackson, a sophomore, averages 14 points per game for HCC.

"I've been in contact with the South Florida coaches since high school," Jackson said. "There have been talks about the offer for a long time.

"I also got offers from Florida and South Carolina. I haven't played football in two years so that surprised me, but I verbally committed to South Florida."

In his senior year at Riverview, Jackson played quarterback and wide receiver, earning acclaim for his quickness and athletic ability. On a team that rarely threw passes, Jackson averaged 21.2 yards per reception with 17 catches for 360 yards, including four touchdowns.

In basketball, Jackson averaged 18.3 points and 7.9 rebounds per game with 68 assists, 77 steals and 16 blocked shots his senior year.

"The coaches (at USF) told me they were going to work me at receiver and quarterback and whatever happens, happens," Jackson said. "I chose USF because I've had a good relationship with a lot of the coaches since high school.

"They are moving into the Big East and will play Miami. ... That is a big thing."

Jackson says he's gotten the approval of USF head football coach Jim Leavitt and head basketball coach Robert McCullum to play both sports.

"Coach Leavitt told me he was cool with it and just to make sure I focus on football with off-season workouts," Jackson said.

Riverview High head basketball coach Jim Ward said he spoke to McCullum and the Bulls coach said he was not opposed to a person playing football and basketball.

"I talked with coach McCullum and they are waiting to go see him play.

"But he said he was OK with Amarri playing two sports," Ward said. "Penn State was also recruiting Amarri for basketball. Georgia wanted Amarri for football out of high school, but we felt it was best for him to play basketball because you get better supervision with only 12 players and that is what he needed then."

Last modified: January 19. 2005 12:00AM

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050119/SPORTS/501190561/1006