• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rutgers does something very interesting...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I'll be majoring in Coitus with a minor in pulling out.

The academic village at UCF back in 2001 was one of the first dorms to be coed on the same floor. Our neighbors my freshman year were chicks. THAT alone was enough trouble...I couldn't imagine living in the same room with one of them. Wait, yes I could!!!!

Was that the UCF fraternity, U feela his thigh?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  565
  • Days Won:  0

As somebody who used to work with USF Housing (with nothing but positive things to say, it really made my USF experience to where now I'm considering it as a career), there are several positive aspects and negative aspects to this policy. It certainly isn't new, as someone mentioned earlier some smaller schools have successfully implemented this policy, and both USF and SC have Family housing geared towards grad students and visiting faculty looking for a convenient place to live.

The problem with this scenario is the extreme fragility that goes along with young romantic relationships, and one thing that hasn't changed from generation to generation is the time it takes for a relationship to cement. Another thing that hasn't is the oft-ignorance of a blissful couple believing that "hey, it's been 4 months, I've slept over a couple of times, he/she will be a great person". Moving in with someone adds dynamite to an already unsettled and explosive recipe, and the victims might be an assignments office that is overloaded with requests to change rooms because "he/she said they loved me" and "how was I to know he collected Yu-gi-Oh cards?" (My apologies to my friends into the anime culture).

My point:  In my very humble and barely-educated opinion, to make this policy work at a large institution like RU (or USF) you need three things:

1) A streamlined, efficient, strict room relocation policy (See: One change per semester)

2) Buy-in from the staff that work in the residence halls (Including maintenance and custodial staff, because they would want to avoid walking in on someone in embarrassment)

3) AWESOME communication between housing assignments, building/hall directors, student staff, security, etc.

Just my .02.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I did my first two years at Fort Lewis College in Durango, CO and stayed in Cooper Hall - Coed.  I did get lucky, the male athletic dorm was full and normally coed was only for sophomores or above.  I guess I lucked out getting in and getting out  ;) (didn't get anyone pregnant)

Much ado about nothing if you ask me.  Unless of course you have a freshman daughter that will be attending Rutgers, then its the end of the world.  :D

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Holy Cripes, I just read the article, I thought this thread was about coed dorms not coed rooms. 

Bad idea, bad idea.  A transgender can ask for a male roommate?  WTF.  What if said male roommate whats no part of this transgender but all rooms are full and no one will trade?  Is this poor soul stuck living at least a semester with one eye open when he sleeps?'

I can see all sorts of problems and issues with this scenario that could play out a whole lot worse than a guy taking his own life.  Plus, when my son goes to USF, I've already prepaid for the first two years at the dorms and if he gets loaded into a suite of gay tranny's, I'll have to cover the cost of an apartment that much sooner.

Again, bad idea!!

Archived