• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

PG Blake Nash

Vega

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  242
  • Days Won:  0

Bulls picked up a new PG commit (first reported from Greg Auman).  6' 185-pound Blake Nash out of Williston Community College, check out the new Bull Rush post for insight and video http://t.co/BCB3Aaf

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,797

The one skill set that I like more than any other on that video is the two step drive, stop and pop from around the foul line. If he can do that, we will be 200x better next year. We simply don't have anyone on the current roster with the quickness, handles and jumping/shooting ability to do this. That is one skill that Kemba excels at. This guy is obviously no Kemba, but if he can provide that play every once in awhile, our offense will be so much better, especially against zones like the Cuse runs.

Normal

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

Matt, may want to take a few minutes and get acquainted with all the boards here ... tend to have stuff broken out more than a lot of other boards. Recruiting news for all USF sports end up here ... when they sign and actually become a Bull, that's when they make the Main Board.

• Content Count:  242

Thanks, I will make sure to become familiar with all of the boards.

• Content Count:  2,407
  • Days Won:  5

This looks like a really good pick-up.  Wondering if Grooms might still sign (looks highly unlikely)  from first glance not wild on collins shot would like grooms over him at this point

• Content Count:  1,797

Gruber, if I had to guess, after missing on Larkin in the fall, Coach Heath decided he was going to sign a PG no matter what in the spring. He took Collins because he is a true PG and was willing to commit, unlike Shed and Dority (the PG on Dority's HS team signed with St. Louis U) who were 'combo' guards, and that way we would definitely add a PG option to the team. I think the staff wanted Nash more than anyone else, but they either were not sure he would commit/sign with us or they are worried that he may not finish his AA. So Collins is insurance, and who knows...as he fills out, he might be a serviceable PG in a couple years. Nash is the guy though that will have a chance to log some meaningful minutes in '11-'12. I am glad we have them both (assuming they sign this week) and I hope both make it into school in August.

Normal

• Content Count:  1,079

Back in HS

mR9XsUucAVs

The woman at the end of the video, "Man he's good!"

Best part of the video is at around 2:47, kid getting up off the ground as he is driving, wish they would have shown the part where he broke the kids ankles.... the long sleeve thing is different for basketball but whatever he's comfortable in.

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

The major concern about Nash is his terrible assist/turnover ratio at 1 or 1.5. That simply is not good. The question is will he improve on that at USF

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Nash talks USF commitment

Posted April 09, 2011 by Adam Adkins

Updated Apr 09, 2011 at 09:43 PM

I reported earlier today that the USF men’s basketball team picked up verbal commitment from Williston State freshman point guard Blake Nash, and I was able to catch up for a few moments this afternoon with Nash while he was changing flights on his way back to the North Dakota-based junior college’s campus.

Nash (6-foot, 180 pounds) gave a commitment to the Bulls after wrapping up an official visit to USF’s campus. It was the only official visit he’d scheduled, and there won’t be anymore - “I’m done,†he said - even though a handful of other Division I programs were courting him, among them Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Georgetown.

“I just like the opportunity they had for me,†Nash said when asked what led him to choose the Bulls. “I want to come in and work hard and help change the program.â€

Nash, who was a second team junior college All-American this season at Williston State after averaging 22.3 points, 5.6 rebounds and 4.5 assists per game, admitted he didn’t know much about USF basketball history prior to his visit, though said he got a bit of a crash course while in Tampa. He hopes to help the Bulls to some brighter days in the future, and has every intention on playing a key role, beginning with the 2011-12 season.

“I don’t plan on coming off the bench,†Nash said, prefacing the comment by saying he didn’t want to come off as cocky and only that he’s confident he can earn the starting job at point guard.

There certainly seems to be plenty of competition for the spot now. The Bulls are set to return two point guards from last season, starter Anthony Crater, who will be a senior, and LaVonte Dority, who played sparingly as a freshman. USF also has a verbal commitment from prep point guard Anthony Collins out of Westbury Christian in Houston, who like Nash is eligible to sign with the Bulls on Wednesday, the start of the regular signing period for men’s college basketball.

One area Nash appears to have an edge, at least on paper, is with his ability to score, which Williston State coach Hunter Berg said is the first thing everyone notices.

“Scoring is good, but I like to do a lot of things,†Nash said. “I like to play defense, get out and run, find other players and get them involved and be smart with the ball.â€

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/nash-talks-usf-commitment/

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

The major concern about Nash is his terrible assist/turnover ratio at 1 or 1.5. That simply is not good. The question is will he improve on that at USF

Hopefully it does ... That really isn't very good.

Archived