• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball Strength of Schedule

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

you can honestly look at yourself and say RM recruited and had better teams then SH?  Then where is your beloved RM coaching now  still coaching some third world olympic team.  OR more then likely stuck as an assistant with one of his buddies because no one would ever hire him as a head coach again.  RM was a nice guy but in regards to a basketball program he ruined us.  IF I remember correctly DJ never even played for RM.  So he could have changed his commitment, but he didn't because he had no other offers. SH developed him into the player he became.

by far a better recruiter. 2 nba players. 1 big east scoring champ and 1 big east rebounding champ.

how long did he even coach in the big east?

he had trouble filling out his bench and he had some bad luck with his 2nd leading scorer passing away (B moseley-RIP) in his second year.

the results aren't that different from heath's and if heath didn't have rmc's recruit to carry his team last year he would have much worse results.

heath's top recruit is a kid that switched commitments from 2 different schools before deciding to go with heath. of course heath had to hire his personal trainer in order to get him. oh and by the way this malcontent decided to quit half way through the year.

stan heath didn't develop dominique jones. nique averaged over 17 points his freshman year and I believe he was named freshman of the year in the big east.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rmc was 12-18 his last year with 3 Big east wins.

let's see if Heath tops that in his 4th year here.

He tripled it in his 3rd year ...

all he had to do was wait for a mccullum recruit to put the team on his back and lead the big east in scoring. that seemed to be the offense last year. give nique the ball and clear out.

LOL ... OK, since Stan obviously can't coach (we'll just ignore what he did before came here), who do you suggest we replace him with?

lol..stan heath was fired from arkansas.

Great ?  3B   Come on Bull94 so who do you suggest we bring in?  Whats the solution? 

steal the guy from ucf. look to donovan's bench like we should have years ago. hire someone off florida states bench. or maybe even miami. get a regional up and comer. not a guy who recruits the midwest(and not very well) and totally ignores this state

Exactly his response.  You need to have confidence in your abilities no matter the challenge.  He knew he couldn't handle something so big

confidence isn't all you need.

heath's 43-61

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I can't believe anyone would ever consider saying anything even at all close to, "This team was better off with Robert McCullum as its coach than it was with Stan Heath."

Why should anyone take anything at all seriously when it comes from a person who expresses that absurd opinion?

where did i say it was better off?

If you're not saying that, then your insistence on dragging McCullum into the discussion is even more baffling.

43-61 is not much better then 40-76.

Actually it's a winning percentage about seven points hire, and that's with McCullum having two years in a much weaker Conference USA to, uh, "pad" his winning percentage.

Mccullum brought in 2 future NBA players. one of whom led the big east in scoring and he also brought in a kid that led the big east in rebounding.

I hope you're not one of these people who insists Rivals and Scout recruiting rankings are meaningless, because I think implied in that argument is that good coaching can make any player better. So who's to say Jones would have led the Big East in scoring if he still had McCullum as a coach? Heath gets no credit for being the only coach Jones ever played under at USF? How does that make any sense?

I find it amazing people actually defend heath.

In the question of, "who was a better coach, Robert McCullum or Stan Heath" there is only one correct answer.

And as to the broader question, "Should USF fire Stan Heath," the challenge to suggest a replacement and how much you think they would coach for is still out there. You think you know better than Doug Woolard, so let's have it.

I'm going to need something more specific than "steal a guy of whatever random school I throw out there's bench" before I consider your opinion to be credible.

After a 21-win season that ended in the NCAA tournament. He also went to the Elite Eight with Kent State.

I can't believe anyone would ever consider saying anything even at all close to, "This team was better off with Robert McCullum as its coach than it was with Stan Heath."

Why should anyone take anything at all seriously when it comes from a person who expresses that absurd opinion?

where did i say it was better off?

If you're not saying that, then your insistence on dragging McCullum into the discussion is even more baffling.

43-61 is not much better then 40-76.

Actually it's a winning percentage about seven points hire, and that's with McCullum having two years in a much weaker Conference USA to, uh, "pad" his winning percentage.

Mccullum brought in 2 future NBA players. one of whom led the big east in scoring and he also brought in a kid that led the big east in rebounding.

I hope you're not one of these people who insists Rivals and Scout recruiting rankings are meaningless, because I think implied in that argument is that good coaching can make any player better. So who's to say Jones would have led the Big East in scoring if he still had McCullum as a coach? Heath gets no credit for being the only coach Jones ever played under at USF? How does that make any sense?

I find it amazing people actually defend heath.

In the question of, "who was a better coach, Robert McCullum or Stan Heath" there is only one correct answer.

And as to the broader question, "Should USF fire Stan Heath," the challenge to suggest a replacement and how much you think they would coach for is still out there. You think you know better than Doug Woolard, so let's have it.

I'm going to need something more specific than "steal a guy of whatever random school I throw out there's bench" before I consider your opinion to be credible.

After a 21-win season that ended in the NCAA tournament. He also went to the Elite Eight with Kent State.

a winning percentage 7 points higher is not worthy of a salary $600k larger. heath and mccullum have had similar results so to suggest heath is obviously the better coach is incorrect.

making a player development comparison between basketball and football is laughable. basketball players routinely get drafted in the first round after one year in college. they had to make a rule so the nba couldn't draft high school players anymore. football players rarely see the field their first year. suggesting they are even closely related is foolish.

woolard gets paid $500k a year to make the hiring decisions. not me. I'm sure he could and probably would hire an outside consultant to come up with a list of candidates. you suggest I do this on my own without the resources or the salary.

I took about 5 minutes to peruse the gator site and I came up with Larry Shyatt.  current gator assistant. He has worked with Donovan for the past 4 years and has been named the top assistant coach in the nation for the last 2 years.

Great link!!  I know it was a different era but did you see Calhoon's record early on.  In this day he would never have made it because if you don't win a championship within 4 years your an awful coach.  and an even worse recruiter

Does that mean you give every loser 5+ years to prove himself? No. Calhoun is the exception, not the rule.

If the AD thinks he has a guy that is showing you everything else that you are looking for but the results are slow to come, then you stick with him longer. But in evaluating this program four years in, I do not see anything that leads me to believe he can recruit, let alone coach, this program into the upper-half of this conference.

Over the last 8 years this team has averaged something like 12 total wins and 4 in conference. And while last year was great to follow, I don't want to look back and say the highlight year for the past 10 years was a 20-win season, a .500 conference record, and a first round NIT loss. I'd like to see our basketball team succeed at a higher level.

The bottom line is this, the team is terrible offensively and looks disorganized - that is on the coach. Call it recruiting, coaching, system - these are all of his choosing, and his guys. Any leader has to be held responsible for the results he produces, that is life. Even "great guys" have to win sooner or later.

great points. if this program were headed in the right direction after 4 years then I have no problem with heath. it's not. we don't have any young, inexperienced guys that look like they will develop into good big east basketball players.

• Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

Larry Shayatt....and what was is record as a head coach????  Under .500 at Clemson and Wyoming.  Steal the UCF guy and exactly what are they doing at the end of the year lost 7 straight in conf USA and counting

Calhoon is the exception....Try Dean Smith......and I'm sure there are others

If you could care less about the NBA then why are you mentioning how many each coach has in the NBA.  Choose a point and stick to it or just flip flop

Where has Arkansas really gone after he left....worse then when he was there with a guy who didn't want to come to USF.  One of BD so called great up and coming former assisatants

Larry Shayatt....and what was is record as a head coach????  Under .500 at Clemson and Wyoming.  Steal the UCF guy and exactly what are they doing at the end of the year lost 7 straight in conf USA and counting

Calhoon is the exception....Try Dean Smith......and I'm sure there are others

If you could care less about the NBA then why are you mentioning how many each coach has in the NBA.  Choose a point and stick to it or just flip flop

Where has Arkansas really gone after he left....worse then when he was there with a guy who didn't want to come to USF.  One of BD so called great up and coming former assisatants

concerning the nba, I was pointing out the fact that I don't care how many heath got into the nba from arkansas or greenburg from long beach state. they're irrelevant to our discussion of recruiting to south florida.

donnie jones is in his first year at ucf. not his 4th year. btw he was able to beat a powerhouse big east program and a top 15 florida team this year.

Larry Shyatt has recruited this state for the last 4 years. top assistant in the country over the last 2. heath doesn't recruit florida at all. that's a huge problem.

Pelfrey has done better than heath at arkansas. 2 ncaa's.

Grant has done well at alabama and vcu. I wish we hadn't been so cheap when we tried to get him.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Pelfrey has done better than heath at arkansas. 2 ncaa's.

They've gone once under Pelfrey, in 2008. They went twice under Heath (his final two seasons with the Razorbacks).

Archived