• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Working at USF

WhaddaBunchaBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  92
  • Days Won:  0

For those of you who work at USF, what are the pros and cons?  What originally attracted you to working there and what has kept you there?  In this economy, it seems like higher education is the most stable industry in Florida and so I'm just curious about working at USF.

• Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

Well a lot of this is going to be opinion since I haven't worked on campus for years.

Pros:

+ Great environment

+ Good opportunity to further your education and make yourself more marketable for other career paths.

+ Decent state benefits

Cons:

- Not a lot of room for advancement depending on what field you're in

- Stability isn't as great as you'd think; again it depends on where you work. USF is just as susceptible to layoffs as anywhere else and that has been the case over the past few years.

I'd love to work there again. For some reason it's extremely tough to get in. I've been applying for years. If I didn't have to quit my job to take an internship, I'd still be there.

• Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

Well a lot of this is going to be opinion since I haven't worked on campus for years.

Pros:

+ Great environment

+ Good opportunity to further your education and make yourself more marketable for other career paths.

+ Decent state benefits

Cons:

- Not a lot of room for advancement depending on what field you're in

- Stability isn't as great as you'd think; again it depends on where you work. USF is just as susceptible to layoffs as anywhere else and that has been the case over the past few years.

I'd love to work there again. For some reason it's extremely tough to get in. I've been applying for years. If I didn't have to quit my job to take an internship, I'd still be there.

Oh, another con I forgot to mention: Not a great place to look if you want to make a lot of money. Unless you're highly specialized you'll probably start at less than $40,000; most likely a lot lower. Some jobs require a minimum of Masters degrees and several years of experience and still only pay 30-36.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I had some friends that worked for Athletics and he said the pay sucked but it was a labor of love type of a deal.  He did it to be around USF football and involved in the program rather than make a butt load of money.

Archived