• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Meineke Car Care Bowl Now the Belk Bowl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I wish they would stop with the corporate bowl names. I understand the need for sponsorships but the <company name> Bowl is stupid.

For example, the Chic-fil-a Bowl, it used to be the Peach Bowl.  Or the Tangerine Bowl. Or the Queen City Bowl.

This years worst has to be between the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl or the GoDaddy.com Bowl

+1

Should just name it the whatever bowl sponsored by whomever

+2

They should just go back to the naming of bowls based on what the area is known for...

- Outback Bowl used to be the Cigar Bowl

- Chik Fila Bowl used to be the Peach Bowl

- Capital One Bowl used to be the Citrus Bowl

These new bowl sponsorship names are lame and gay... whats next the Preperation H Hemroid Bowl?

Sponsors pay good money to get their names on the bowl games (and give some of that money to us as a payout!).  I hate the corporate sponsorship bullcrap (WeedEater Bowl?!?! wtf?!?!), but it's not going anywhere so no use complaining.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know which is worse, the corporate name as the bowl or the incorporation of the original bowl and the corp. sponsor.

The chic-fil-a Bowl.... or The Peach Bowl presented by Chic-Fil-A.  They get long winded because they have to say the whole thing.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I don't know which is worse, the corporate name as the bowl or the incorporation of the original bowl and the corp. sponsor.

The chic-fil-a Bowl.... or The Peach Bowl presented by Chic-Fil-A.   They get long winded because they have to say the whole thing.

Not that it matters, but I prefer <corporate sponsor> + <bowl name>.

ie. Chic-fil-a Peach Bowl, Beef o' Brady's St. Pete Bowl, etc...  I think it would add some continuity to the bowl games themselves, but the Bowl games don't care what I think.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

wtf is belk

• Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  0

The Belk family started the store way back and then teamed with other local retailers when opening a new store.  That is why you had Belk-Simpson, Belk-Lindsey, Belk-???, etc.

The family is from Charlotte and still resides there, although Sara Belk has (or at least had) an apartment in New york overlooking Central park.  One of the brothers was at one time the mayor of Charlotte.  They have pretty significant ties to the area, so I believe this is good for the long term health of the bowl game.

I can also tell you that some of the younger family members were a little CRAZY back in the day.

Archived