• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Help from recent business grads??

theman123

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Well I was recently accepted to USF!!  And I plan on majoring in Accounting.  Well I'm now in the market for a new computer, and I just want to know if I would be ok with the Mac OS X or if I need windows.

I like the Macbook Pro a lot, however will probably go Asus if i need windows. So any info on if i can run mac owuld be great!

• Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Well I was recently accepted to USF!!  And I plan on majoring in Accounting.  Well I'm now in the market for a new computer, and I just want to know if I would be ok with the Mac OS X or if I need windows.

I like the Macbook Pro a lot, however will probably go Asus if i need windows. So any info on if i can run mac owuld be great!

Glad to see you so determined. I just graduated with said degree. Study hard and do well, it's a very good field to be in these days.

In the case of accounting, it's something of a personal preference option. You will need to have MS Excel and MS Access for your accounting courses, as well as the prerequisite MIS course. I checked, and as of current there is no Mac-compatible version of Access. Could this change by 2011 or 2012 when you're getting into these courses? Yes, possibly, though I wouldn't bet on it due to the

However, that's generally a hurdle that can be overcome. With the exception of the Macs on campus (which is a relatively limited number), every PC in the computer labs offers you Microsoft Access. So as long as you can complete your Access projects at school for a couple of semesters, you should be fine.

After that, it's up to you. I'm personally someone who strongly prefers PCs because of the software availability and lower cost, but if you really want a Macbook, get one. Just understand the drawbacks.

• Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

The Access portion of MIS is pretty brief...you can finish it in an afternoon at the library or Marshall Center.

• Content Count:  937
  • Days Won:  0

The Access portion of MIS is pretty brief...you can finish it in an afternoon at the library or Marshall Center.

AIS (req'd for accg bach) and Adv AIS (MACC) use access a little more. still up to  you plenty of opportunity to use on campus computers.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Well that doesn't seem too bad.  What I might do is just run boot camp on it for "Access".

Archived