• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Two freshmen transfer out of USF

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,089
  • Days Won:  469

times.gif

Two freshmen transfer out of USF

By GREG AUMAN, Times wire

Published January 10, 2005

TAMPA - As spring classes begin today, two South Florida freshmen have transferred to smaller schools where they can play this fall.

Running back Andre Copeland of Lake City, who played in the Bulls' first two games but was in line for a medical redshirt, has transferred to Division I-AA Charleston Southern. Shadie Jones, a lineman from Pace who had practiced on offense and defense, left for Division II West Alabama.

Those departures, along with junior receiver Joe Bain, who left the team because of injury problems, give the Bulls three more scholarships for future recruits, though USF already had the maximum of 25 available for next month's recruiting class.

One recruit who could have joined the Bulls today will not. Chub Small, a running back from Auburndale who committed last year but did not qualify academically, was not offered a scholarship this time.

Small, now qualified after a semester at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia, will choose between Toledo and Marshall.

-GREG AUMAN, Times staff writer

Story Link

I'm just happy it wasn't basketball players.   ;D

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  132
  • Days Won:  0

old news - TBO had that last week. Also read Copeland left back in Nov.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

nothing new

copeland is a loss

hope we replace him with quality since we passed on chubb small!

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

old news - TBO had that last week. Also read Copeland left back in Nov.

I don't know why so critical. Are you part of TBO?

There was new info in that article. Many of us were curious as to WHERE Copeland and Jones were headed.

Also, many of us did not know how many scholarships we had this year and that was cleared up.

Certainly, the info about Chub Small was ALL new and nobody had that before.

Whoever you are, give it a rest.

Criticize, when there is REASON for it.

I'm thankful for the "News" we get and you should be also.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,089
  • Days Won:  469

Most of us knew of the departures, but as HowieP indicated there was other information included.  Furthermore, this site is hit daily by fans not as dedicated as others, and to some readers, the information is welcome.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

I'm old and forget so I have to be reminded of what happened at least once or twice.  Any press is good press.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  183

Anyone know the inside scoop on why Copeland left?  Is he afraid he wouldn't get enough playing time?  Was he not as good as the hype?  Pardon me if this has been discussed before.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I hope it IS beccause of our talent at RB ... NEED to land some serious Game Breakers !

Is Billy Henderson a Senior in 2005 ?

Agree with Howie also about the "old news" comment ... especially during football's off-season, keep the news coming ... even as reminders.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

Keep up the good work HowieP!  I'm bearish on Bullish.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

For those interested, Chub Small is going to Marshall:

Published Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Auburndale's Small to Sign With Marshall

By Roy Fuoco

The Ledger

AUBURNDALE -- Hard work and determination paid off for former Auburndale running back Chubb Small, who committed to Marshall University on Monday after visiting it during the weekend.

Small, who graduated last year, will sign today and attend classes in the spring semester. He spent the last fall at Hargraves Military Academy in Virginia while he worked on getting his test scores.

"This guy has handled hurdle after hurdle," Auburndale coach Bob Williams said. "He had a 2.6 in high school, so he always has been a good student. For some reason, he just never tested well. He struggled with the FCAT and the ACT. He went from everyone being interested in him to no one."

Small, who ran 4.32 and 4.34 in the 40 at a combine in December, opted to go to Hargraves instead of junior college and has since earned qualifying scores on both the ACT and the SAT.

After visiting Toledo, Utah State and Marshall, Small made his decision. South Florida and Alabama also were recruiting him. In high school, Georgia, Cincinnati and Kansas also were recruiting him.

Small, who was a three-year starter for the Bloodhounds, rushed for 1,085 yards and 20 touchdowns as a senior and was a first-team All-County running back.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050111/NEWS/501110382/1254