• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz Needs to add this to playbook

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I don't get it. Are you allowed to snap th ball over your shoulder like that?

Yes. I think that was actually the way it was done for a while in the early days of football.

In Canadian foOtball, though, the snap must go through the player's legs.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I've been told that this play is illegal.  After a bunch of these plays, the high school rules were changed to make them illegal.  As I read,  “Actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is a problem and a snap isn’t imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal.â€

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I've been told that this play is illegal.  After a bunch of these plays, the high school rules were changed to make them illegal.  As I read,  “Actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is a problem and a snap isn’t imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal.â€

I hope this is true.

Designed trick plays are one thing.. but things like whats posted here should definitely be unsportsmanlike.  It can lead to players acting like they're hurt just to try to get off a play, etc. 

And it just reeks of desperation.  Not what football was designed to be.

Guest nybullsfan

Technically, yes. It doesn't have to go between the legs.

One example is the way Rutgers lines up for extra points. The center is ready to "side-snap" the ball (and go for two) if the defense isn't prepared. If the defense is prepared, then they shift back to the normal stance and kick the ball for one point.

I don't think this is true for FBS though (unless someone has a link that says otherwise, obviously!)

Yes. I think that was actually the way it was done for a while in the early days of football.

Thanks, I didn't know that. CFL agrees, LOL (bottom of page 30)

http://cfl.ca/page/game_rule_rule1

That's great but not as good as

The most impressive part was that the QB pulled off a perfect bounce pass with a football. Wonder how many reps that took. Coolest play this year IMO.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the "bounce" was not part of the intended play. Footballs do NOT bounce in predictable enough ways to actually try to use it in a play. IMO, Presbyterian just got lucky on an underthrown lateral. This was the same play Rutgers used against us, with the same result (minus the unintended bounce, of course)

I kinda agree with you, but it really all depends on whether my team did it to the opposition, or the opposition did it to my team, LOL

Here's one of my all-time favorites - the look on Spurrier's face (almost at the end of the clip) is classic!

_3JFq9n5ix0

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

holtz is a great coach

usf is lucky to have him

• Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  0

Technically, yes. It doesn't have to go between the legs.

One example is the way Rutgers lines up for extra points. The center is ready to "side-snap" the ball (and go for two) if the defense isn't prepared. If the defense is prepared, then they shift back to the normal stance and kick the ball for one point.

I don't think this is true for FBS though (unless someone has a link that says otherwise, obviously!)

Thanks, I didn't know that. CFL agrees, LOL (bottom of page 30)

http://cfl.ca/page/game_rule_rule1

That's great but not as good as

The most impressive part was that the QB pulled off a perfect bounce pass with a football. Wonder how many reps that took. Coolest play this year IMO.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the "bounce" was not part of the intended play. Footballs do NOT bounce in predictable enough ways to actually try to use it in a play. IMO, Presbyterian just got lucky on an underthrown lateral. This was the same play Rutgers used against us, with the same result (minus the unintended bounce, of course)

I kinda agree with you, but it really all depends on whether my team did it to the opposition, or the opposition did it to my team, LOL

Here's one of my all-time favorites - the look on Spurrier's face (almost at the end of the clip) is classic!

_3JFq9n5ix0

I like that play because it feeds of the I'm about to die!! RUN! Reaction in people. Toss the ball to the smallest and most unathletic guy and have a wall of monster's in front of him and say run before they kill you. Look at how fast his feet churn, lol love it

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I gotta disagree NY watch how the WR sells like it's an incomplete pass before chucking it down field. 

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  0

The Presby bounce pass was intentional.  They said as much after the game.

Guest nybullsfan

I gotta disagree NY watch how the WR sells like it's an incomplete pass before chucking it down field. 

The Presby bounce pass was intentional.  They said as much after the game.

Wow. Thanks for the link, I stand corrected.

I still say that even tough it was premeditated, they got lucky on the execution. Footballs take funny bounces, and I wouldn't advise betting on that lateral getting to the receiver very often. They even say it didn't work very often in practice.

I guess when you're school's name is PU and you know you're going to lose, why not take some chances? LOL

Archived