• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

3 jeers for USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

And of course no Cheers for the Defense on their fabulous effort to totally shut down Buttgers when they had to in the 4th.

Yeah, the punt return was embarrasing, but the something happened there, maybe just an assumption that the fair catch would take place, or body language, or something but the entire field froze.  Next guy gets crushed, so live and learn.

I really looked like the Rutgers guy faked the fair catch.  The USF punt coverage team should have creamed him, but they stopped as if he was making a fair catch.  I swear the same Rutgers guy tried it again later in the game, but USF smothered him that time.

Even if you thought it was a fair catch, you get into his face.  There's no halo rule anymore.

• Content Count:  444
  • Days Won:  0

Well deserved ... it would have royally sucked to have lost that game because of it.

It would be almost as bad as loosing a game because you threw a late screen pass to a running back 2 yards deep in your own end zone.

Got to be one of the dumbest calls ever ... What the hell are you thinking there?

That's funny because they also gave 3 jeers for the Rutgers screen in the end zone.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,609
  • Days Won:  424

And of course no Cheers for the Defense on their fabulous effort to totally shut down Buttgers when they had to in the 4th.

Yeah, the punt return was embarrasing, but the something happened there, maybe just an assumption that the fair catch would take place, or body language, or something but the entire field froze.  Next guy gets crushed, so live and learn.

I really looked like the Rutgers guy faked the fair catch.  The USF punt coverage team should have creamed him, but they stopped as if he was making a fair catch.  I swear the same Rutgers guy tried it again later in the game, but USF smothered him that time.

Even if you thought it was a fair catch, you get into his face.  There's no halo rule anymore.

I missed that rule going away but watching games, it's been obvious that it's gone .... except on that play .... I've got to assume that every opposing punt returner will know what the team had for the pre-game meal from here on out ...

Guest nybullsfan

Huh?

It's called "Kick-catch Interference", and I could have sworn it still exists. You must give the receiver room to catch the ball.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,609
  • Days Won:  424

Huh?

It's called "Kick-catch Interference", and I could have sworn it still exists. You must give the receiver room to catch the ball.

I think you have to give him room to catch it but it used be you had to keep 2 or 3 yards away (a halo) .... I think.

Guest nybullsfan

Just watched the replay on ESPN3, and the quality is so poor I can't tell for sure, but it sure looks to me like he signaled for a fair catch. His right hand appears to be above his shoulder pads in this screen shot.

If anyone has a better view on a DVR reply, have a look and let us know what you see.

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

lol, you can't see a thing from your buffering computer.

Guest nybullsfan

lol, you can't see a thing from your buffering computer.

Well, duh!

That's why I'm asking you guys to find a better shot! :-P  >:D

And calling my computer "buffering" is being kind - I use some more specific adjectives... :computer

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Huh?

I think you have to give him room to catch it but it used be you had to keep 2 or 3 yards away (a halo) .... I think.

What he said.

Guest nybullsfan

Well deserved ... it would have royally sucked to have lost that game because of it.

It would be almost as bad as loosing a game because you threw a late screen pass to a running back 2 yards deep in your own end zone.

Got to be one of the dumbest calls ever ... What the hell are you thinking there?

Sciano admitted it was a mistake in a post-game interview.

Sure was a difference-maker, man I'm so glad he called it!!

Took a while to find it, but here's the quote

The Bulls pulled to 24-22 when Dodd—facing third-and-21 from the Rutgers 3 — threw an ill-advised screen pass to Kordell Young and the running back was tackled in the end zone by Keith McCaskill for a safety.

“The defensive lineman, he just twisted on it and he ended up right where we were throwing the ball,†Dodd said. “I guess he got lucky, rolled right into it.â€

Schiano didn’t second-guess the play.

“We were anticipating pressure. Is it a risky call? Yeah, it’s a risky call,†the coach said, adding that it also was a situation that Young might have been able to turn into a big gainer.

“In retrospect you don’t want to call it,†Schiano said, “but when you make decisions, you make them and go with them.â€

source: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recap?gid=201011031019

Archived