• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Times: Judge presiding over Jim Leavitt lawsuit orders more records from USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

October 27, 2010

Judge presiding over Jim Leavitt lawsuit orders more records from USF

By Greg Auman, Times Staff Writer

The judge presiding over former USF Bulls football coach Jim Leavitt's wrongful termination suit against USF has ordered the university to release 148 pages of documents that the university's attorneys had tried to have exempted from public records.

Hillsborough County Circuit Judge Bernard Silver ruled last week that USF must produce 148 pages of attorneys' notes, finding that while they do count as reflecting "a mental impression, conclusion, legal strategy or theory of an attorney," such exemptions are only valid when prepared "in anticipation of imminent civil litigation," and the judge found that exemption does not apply. USF was given 10 days to produce the documents from the order on Oct. 21.

Silver made two other rulings, first that public employees' notes "to themselves and designed for their own personal use" are not considered "public record" and are privileged from being produced as evidence in the Leavitt case. Silver also ruled that interviewers' notes from USF's investigation into the incident that led to Leavitt's firing do not qualify as "education records," so the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act does not apply to them in exempting them from public records requests.

Silver approved some redactions to the notes - any references to 12 student-athletes who expressed concern about their privacy being violated will be redacted, as will references to the alleged victim in the case, football player Joel Miller, and any references to players' medical conditions. Silver ordered that the unredacted interview notes be produced within 10 days, and because of additional legal costs since USF did not initially fulfill the public records request in July, the university must pay Leavitt's attorneys $2,444 in "reasonable costs incurred."

The two sides continue to file motions relating to what can and cannot be allowed into evidence before a long list of depositions begin from Leavitt's attorneys. USF's attorney, Richard McCrea, said in court last month that it could be a year before the trial begins before a jury.

Link

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

wow, this has been on here for over an hour and it hasn't turned into a poo throwing contest yet....that's amazing.

• Content Count:  1,400

I'm surprised its still on the main board :pimp

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

wow, this has been on here for over an hour and it hasn't turned into a poo throwing contest yet....that's amazing.

I fart in your general direction.  ;D

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

what a headache

• Content Count:  4,738

the poo flinger is absent

i wonder if the media will get a hold of these notes

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I like the gratuitis use of the word poo

• Content Count:  2,478

Meh, this whole thing is just done. I really don't care anymore.

I wish Jim Leavitt the best.

• Content Count:  151

One day, after this is all settled, Jim Leavitt is gonna get picked up as a D. Coordinator somewhere and beat the living pizss out of us. I'm gonna be mad when that happens....It's a matter of time though

Archived