• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stan Heath is at a huge disadvantage

Vega

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Heath couldn't even do Midnight Madness because he knew no one would show up.

I come on here and complain about Heath's recruiting but maybe I shouldn't considering it must be painful for him going into these recruiting battles having to try and explain to all the good prospects why fans stay away from Bulls' basketball games. The lack of support is why the basketball program will never be anything special and why I believe Heath will be looking around if he has a good season and we miss out on getting Larkin.

Midnight Madness is more than just fun for the fans, coaches use it as a major recruiting opportunity to show recruits what it could be like if they come on board. I see schools bring in 10+ prospects for MNM for current classes and future ones too.

The 2 top recruiting targets on our rader are Larkin and Greg Lewis and both were blown away by the fan support at the schools they were visiting. Larkin was at George Mason and Lewis was at Indiana for MNM.

Take a look at Mason's MNM and notice they had more fans for that then USF has when a BE opponent comes to town. Poor Stan would give a kidney for some on that.

/v/Ss2q3T2hy-Y?fs

Tampa is the worse sports town there has ever been. Although we strangely support the weak FB team that plays in the BE which is on the level of a D-II conference. I know the Rays wonder the same thing.

Greg Lewis was there and he had a great time. Btw Lewis was suppose to be visiting USF but the trip was put off until later. In other words Heath had to reschedule the visit for when there is a home football game. We know the fans will show for our great FB program that plays all these might BE teams week after week. Never seen a league as powerful as the BE, truly the elite FB conference going today. ::)

/v/U4VwrJdbT-U?fs

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Will there ever be a day that losers like the one in this thread don't feel the need to tell all the other fans what ****** fans they are? What will it take for idiots to realize this isn't a competition?

And there are many, many, many schools that don't hold "midnight madness."

Do I takes shots or do I just tell the truth? People should know by now I don't sugar coat anything whether it be basketball or football. Before the season I said the FB team wouldn't be good and I caught heat. I said the BE FB conference is weak and I caught heat for that too. Well looks like Vega once again knew what he was talking about just like I do concerning the major issue keeping our basketball down. I might now be 100% right on everything but if there is an issue needing to be talked about I will do just that.

• Content Count:  406
  • Days Won:  0

If you watch that video at least half of the arena is blocked off.  However, for a university of that size it is an impressive environment.  

That kind of environment can be created, it just takes funding.  I'm not sure how far in the red we are able to go per sport, but thats what it takes.  If you create an experience and environment over a period of time, it can be sustained eventually.  However, I doubt our budget allows it.  

For the time being we have to promote an event rather than a basketball game.  That means food and prizes for students pre/post/during game, free or severely discounted tickets for the public and faculty, free tickets for elementary and middle schools (high schools can be done, but have to be careful).  Its also going to take man power (volunteer) to promote and basically lead students to the gym as well.  Organizations around campus have to take the lead, but we if have lead the rest by their hands so be it.

I know some of this is done, but to get the result we all desire it has to be all hands on deck.

For the near future it has to be a "butts in seats" metric rather than hoping basketball can become a profit center that can support other sports (which it can't) now.  If you build the environment over time it will sustain (obviously there will be some dropp off, but we will be in a better situation than we are now).

Will there ever be a day that losers like the one in this thread don't feel the need to tell all the other fans what ***** fans they are? What will it take for idiots to realize this isn't a competition?

And there are many, many, many schools that don't hold "midnight madness."

Sticks and stones to me. Once again the truth hurts, but this is the last post I'll make on this thread as I have said what I had to say.

I don't care about why other schools don't hold MNM. I care about the reason why many do and why USF didn't. Also the major reason why some schools don't hold MNM is because they rather have a full practice instead of a glorified scrimmage.

But...let me leave before anymore "men of sensitivity" show up and create a back and forth about anything other then the main issue. I do apologize to the FB fans who didn't like how I worded my original statement. :D

One more thing of note:

I just found out that George Mason picked up commitments from 2 0r the 3 kids they had visiting. Corey Edwards and Vaughn Gray both have pooped for Mason after attending their Midnight Madness. Remember Shane Larkin was with them on that visit.

See this is the point I was trying to make. Even though gobulls93 might not understand, MNM is very important and used for a recruiting tool just like I said. Here is an example of what it can bring.

Now the question is did Larkin enjoy himself like Edwards and Gray? Did all 3 bold while on that trip together?

Now I will try and see what effect Indiana had on Greg Lewis who before that trip was rumored to be down to Rutgers and USF. He was to be in Tampa this past weekend but Stan had to reschedule the trip. I told you why.

Ok just learned that Shane Larkin is no longer considering George Mason. He is down to USf, DePaul, Col, and UCF

Now apparently UCF has weaseled their way back into the picture. Larkin hadn't been mentioning them recently.

Man if we lose Larkin, which would be a punch to the rib cage, at least let him go to Col. We don't need to play against him in the BE and to lose another player to UCF would be ridiculous.

It is not surprising that Larkin dropped Mason as he has stated he wants to go to a high D-1 school. Strangely that UCF is has crawled back into the picture because they are not as good as Mason or play in any higher profile conference. CUSA w/o Calipari is nothing, wasn't much with him but he and Memphis did carry major weight nationally.

We don't have long before all this recruiting stuff comes to an end, hopefully in our favor for once.

Hopefully some positive updates will come soon.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,633
  • Days Won:  424

One more thing of note:

I just found out that George Mason picked up commitments from 2 0r the 3 kids they had visiting. Corey Edwards and Vaughn Gray both have pooped for Mason after attending their Midnight Madness. Remember Shane Larkin was with them on that visit.

See this is the point I was trying to make. Even though gobulls93 might not understand, MNM is very important and used for a recruiting tool just like I said. Here is an example of what it can bring.

Does look like MM played at least a little part in their decision ... http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/10/17/gray-edwards-to-george-mason/

Now the question is did Larkin enjoy himself like Edwards and Gray? Did all 3 bold while on that trip together?

Apparently it doesn't matter because looks like GM probably only had two schollies available ... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/493586-corey-edwards-and-vaughn-gray-commit-to-george-mason

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

MNM was always advertised as an "event" during SG's time coaching here, although I never attended myself due to work. I can't believe nobody was interested.

In a way, it's disingenuous to blame the fans for something that wasn't even scheduled or had any effort on the part of the school. There is an entire athletic staff, including at least one Marketing person (last time I checked, anyway.) What were they doing?

Sometimes it just takes some effort to get the word out. Tampa fans don't just come out to college basketball events at the drop of a hat - there are so many pro teams & other stuff to do around town.

Archived