• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB Recruiting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Some people around here make me laugh some times.

Yeah, Grothe was only a scrambler and ran around aimlessly making enough happen that in only 3 years of a career he became the Big East's all time most productive QB in terms of yardage. He did have a knack for making great plays out of nothing, but the majority of his productivity was because we ran a spread/zone read offense  the majority of his running plays were designed runs based on what he read the defense to give him. They didn't come from broken plays. Some did, but the majority was by design. He was recruited as a QB because he had played in that type of offense his entire life. The same reason that Carnes was being recruited here. He was an early commit here.

Funny, while so many people are so intent on saying how everything is because BJ *****, Holtz and Fitch are quoted in the Trib as looking at mistakes and problems with their schemes and problems at all positions and areas of the offense.

Sometimes the problems run deeper than just the QB. Although he does shoulder some of the blame there are other problems leading to the poor play.

Great points. I think the main problem is that this is a whole new system and coahcing staff and its clear that nobody really knows whats going on on the offensive side of the ball, and the players are clearly lost. Bencing people probably won't accomplish anything, but time will. Its going to be a painful couple of years.

Well we will see what they have in store for the game at Cincinasty on Friday.  All i know is Nippirt has been a house of horrors for us. 

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Stevie Weatherford is a Verbal commit.  Dude can do it all.  Before the season I thought they would redshirt him for a year, now I have my doubts..

Since he will be early enrolled and be able to practice in spring i can see a great competition between him and Gunsby for starting QB's and Eveld for 2nd or 3rd string. It should be nice to have true QB's in a pro style system for the next 4+ years.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Maybe...you will need better OL than we have ever had here, you will need better TEs than we have ever had here before and we better land a couple of stud receivers. That's a lot to ask of recruiting and don't expect it all to come together for 3 years.

The reason we were using the spread and the reason a lot of colleges have gone to the spread is you rely less on finding top notch OL and more on finding athletic QBs. Its much easier to find athletic QBs than quality OL.

• Content Count:  509
  • Days Won:  0

Stevie Weatherford is a Verbal commit.  Dude can do it all.  Before the season I thought they would redshirt him for a year, now I have my doubts..

Since he will be early enrolled and be able to practice in spring i can see a great competition between him and Gunsby for starting QB's and Eveld for 2nd or 3rd string. It should be nice to have true QB's in a pro style system for the next 4+ years.

Personally I couldn't care less whether we have a "true QB" or whatever that means. All I care about is wins or losses. That's the only thing I will grade Coach Holtz on this year, next year, and the year(s) after that. Looking at the current college landscape alot of programs are having success with QB's running the ball;  and alot of programs are having success with the pro style offense; so I think success can be achieved either way.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Everyone is so quick to blame the coaching and the offensive scheme along with the QB.  Don't the issues we have actually reflect on the poor recruiting of the QB position during the prior coaching regime?  Grothe was effective as a scrambler and making something out of nothing, but we still had relatively zero depth at the QB position behind him.  Skip was left with nothing to work with.

you hit it on head

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Yeah, Grothe was only a scrambler and ran around aimlessly making enough happen that in only 3 years of a career he became the Big East's all time most productive QB in terms of yardage. He did have a knack for making great plays out of nothing, but the majority of his productivity was because we ran a spread/zone read offense  the majority of his running plays were designed runs based on what he read the defense to give him. They didn't come from broken plays. Some did, but the majority was by design. He was recruited as a QB because he had played in that type of offense his entire life. The same reason that Carnes was being recruited here. He was an early commit here.

Funny, while so many people are so intent on saying how everything is because BJ *****, Holtz and Fitch are quoted in the Trib as looking at mistakes and problems with their schemes and problems at all positions and areas of the offense.

Sometimes the problems run deeper than just the QB. Although he does shoulder some of the blame there are other problems leading to the poor play.

Great points. I think the main problem is that this is a whole new system and coahcing staff and its clear that nobody really knows whats going on on the offensive side of the ball, and the players are clearly lost. Bencing people probably won't accomplish anything, but time will. Its going to be a painful couple of years.

Well we will see what they have in store for the game at Cincinasty on Friday.  All i know is Nippirt has been a house of horrors for us. 

usf is goin to lose and look bad in losing

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Skip brought in Gusnby.  Other teams play true freshmen QB's, why won't he.  Maybe he isn't as good as Skipper thinks he is.  There are several other QB's on the roster, Skip is just refusing to play them.  Landi, Eppes,Eveld even Tyler Stowell was a QB in high school

• Content Count:  286

I don't blame BJ he had a couple good games last year and Levitt and his boys convinced BJ (along with the media) he was the real deal.  Bj wanted desperately to be the qb levitt told him he was. And believing the lie was made easier when espn was telling the world the next mike Vick had arrived in Tampa.  Sadly, holtz is learning, along with the rest of the college football world just how wrong levitts assessment was of BJ.  Holtz has inherited the athletes he has now, but things will get better once a cycle or two of holtz recruits start playing.

• Content Count:  286

Yeah, Grothe was only a scrambler and ran around aimlessly making enough happen that in only 3 years of a career he became the Big East's all time most productive QB in terms of yardage. He did have a knack for making great plays out of nothing, but the majority of his productivity was because we ran a spread/zone read offense  the majority of his running plays were designed runs based on what he read the defense to give him. They didn't come from broken plays. Some did, but the majority was by design. He was recruited as a QB because he had played in that type of offense his entire life. The same reason that

was being recruited here. He was an early ::)

j

Only if BJ plays majority of the game

usf is goin to lose and look bad in losing

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I don't blame BJ he had a couple good games last year and Levitt and his boys convinced BJ (along with the media) he was the real deal.  Bj wanted desperately to be the qb levitt told him he was. And believing the lie was made easier when espn was telling the world the next mike Vick had arrived in Tampa.  Sadly, holtz is learning, along with the rest of the college football world just how wrong levitts assessment was of BJ.  Holtz has inherited the athletes he has now, but things will get better once a cycle or two of holtz recruits start playing.

Yes BJ's efforts against FSU, UL and WVU were figments of leavitt's imagination and nothing more.

Archived