• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Totally Unprepared for the Blitizing

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

They were overloading one side with blitz packages overwhelming that side of the OL. We needed to throw more 2 TE sets out there for extra blocking and i hardly saw it (maybe im blind and others did).

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

My concern going into this season was that BJ still didn't appear ready to make reads when pressured. He looks just as bad as last year in this situation, and to top it off he's been told not to buy time with his feet.

I don't know what the answer is here, my best guess is to just put Landi at QB and eventually convert BJ to be a WR. Or, the current offensive scheme needs to be scrapped for our QB who cannot run it. Eveld and Gunsby just aren't close to ready.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

We tried a screen that went terribly wrong and could/should have been a pick-6. We'll never know if the slants were there because BJ was locked on a WR on the outside all day. At one point, we had Landi in the slot, CB lines up 8 yards off of him, and the LBs within 3 yards of the LOS. That, to me, is an easy read. You check and make sure the LBs are coming, Landi runs the slant, he's got his guy beat to the inside, you throw the ball, he breaks a tackle and it's a huge play. If the LBs drop back, you've got a little time to check for other receivers.

Guest nybullsfan

I don't understand how you can compare this season to last... different staff and system... yes same player but that as a constant doesn't affect the argument.

That being said I agree that you need to use some screens... I don't think the slant is an option because I don't think BJ can get the pass there... he's not that accurate.

Basically my point with bringing up the past is the current blueprint on how to beat USF not matter if its the old staff or the new staff is blitz your face off because we do not adjust to it or do anything to take advantage of it.  It's like a boxer constantly dropping his left hand you keep lighting him up with right straights, hooks etc until he no longer does that.  We have been "dropping our left" or almost 5 years and until we start forcing teams to come up with a way to beat us other than blitz, blitz, blitz, and blitz some more we will see similar results.  We don't have the talent to attack the blitz straight up at WR, QB, or OL so we need to counter act it with scheme and smart play calling which we haven't dont for a very long time.  Matt had to deal with the same thing and now BJ is dealing with it and the next QB will too until we either get enough talent on our offense to deal with it, which would take several seasons, or the coaching staff starts to scheme against this type of defense. 

This.

Our staff are pretty smart guys - they'll look at the film and have some ideas what to do.

Right now pretty much everything needs fixing, so they need to decide what to work on 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember your primary objective was to drain the swamp...

• Content Count:  521
  • Days Won:  0

the formula for beating USF has always been:

run the ball up the middle on offense

blitz the QB on defense (it happened to grothe all the time)

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

see Rutgers game last 4 yrs in a row....hmmm maybe it has something to do with having an undersized qb the last 4 yrs in a row

Doesn't matter how big your QB is if you don't put him in a position to succeed.  Dropping them back into long developing plays and not doing things to counter a blitz is a sure fire way to get your QB killed. 

The plays aren't taking long to develop... the problem is BJ can't make a read to a second or third receiver... he just stares down his primary and waits too long to fire the ball. If he would get rid of it sooner he wouldn't have been in as much trouble. Also for an example I look to his second receiver... he only stared at Bogan... and threw into triple coverage... The SU corner barely had to move to catch the ball.

Size does matter... If your QB is taller, he can see the play develop better and make quicker progressions to alternate receivers.

need beter qb play

this guy understands he game

Archived