• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Syracuse blitz defense v. USF offensive line

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

What are your thoughts on the pressure BJ is sure to see from the Orange defense and our great o-line pretecting BJ?

Brian Bennett from ESPN posted a blog (albeit a few sentences) about this topic this morning.  Can you compare UF's defensive pressure to Syracuse's known blitz scheme?  I do not think so, but I guess the better question is, can BJ make smart decisions under pressure and did he learn from the UF game.  He will have Bogan and Griffen, which will certainly make a difference, but will he make the smart decision and throw the ball away or take a sack need be instead of tossing the ball into no mans land?

I will be in Ray Jay to see the action on Saturday.  Looking forward to what will hopefully be a great turn out from my fellow Bulls fans. 

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Please excuse my typo (pretecting, should be protecting), should have used spell check....my bad.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Well with Bass going down it is not going to help....but one would think if we stay true to the running game we may be able to neutralize that blitz and then hit them with play action pass once in a while. Having someone like Murray or Shaw who can make some people miss will be a great help.

Just have to make them 2nd guess blitzing if you can get some big plays off it.

• Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

Solution is easy-- lots of draw plays early in the game.  Throw in a few quick screens to neutralize the blitzing attack and when Syracuse starts to hesitate a little on the blitzes, we come at them with the passing game. 

Don't put BJ in a position where he can make bad decisions. 

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Syracuse is stupid, no way in hell is their blitz defense even close to UF's... there best shot at beating us is to shut down the running game and force BJ to throw the ball. That is how UF beat us... hopefully with Bogan and Griffin back in the lineup we can take advantage of them when the blitz.

• Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0

Syracuse is stupid, no way in hell is their blitz defense even close to UF's... there best shot at beating us is to shut down the running game and force BJ to throw the ball. That is how UF beat us... hopefully with Bogan and Griffin back in the lineup we can take advantage of them when the blitz.

Juice tha Cuse... UF's and Syracuse's defenses are two very different things. All we need to do when they blitz is throw screen passes and three step drops to get the ball in the air quickly. Their defense doesn't have elite speed.

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Screens, draws and quick out routes ftw against the blitz. Expect a lot of both in conference play.

• Content Count:  2,478
  • Days Won:  0

5* Athletes and Coaches who have 2 National Championship rings will have a much stronger defense than a team who has struggled to hit 4 wins the past few seasons.

I'm not saying this game isn't a challenge because it will be. Syracuse has a swagger they haven't had in years. HOWEVER, we're rolling a long just as much and a bad Washington team HOUSED the Cuse a few weeks ago.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I like our OL.  But not sure how they will do against a constant blitz.  Plus that will help them against the run, which we do a lot, and we already have a suspect passing game. 

But the new coaches seem to have a decent plan each week, they will have one for this game too. 

Archived