• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: Genshaft notes USF progress, pledges to tout Bulls

USFishin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Genshaft notes USF progress, pledges to tout Bulls

By LINDSAY PETERSON | The Tampa Tribune

In the past five years, the University of South Florida has climbed 11 places on the list showing federal research expenditures by all U.S. universities, climbing from 68 to 57.

"That's a spectacular rate of growth," USF President Judy Genshaft said today in her annual address to faculty, staff and students.

Among public universities nationwide USF has risen to 33rd, with more than $190 million in spending.

She said USF is 111th in the world, among 5,000 universities, in the number of academic article citations.

Standing in front of a background showing a globe, a blazing sun behind it and the words USF 2020, Genshaft reviewed what USF has accomplished since she arrived 10 years ago.

In 2000, it created its College of Marine Science, which was crucial this year in investigating the damage from the Deepwater Horizon oil disaster.

In 2001, after the World Trade Center was attacked by terrorists, USF was there to help with College of Engineering robots that searched the Twin Towers' wreckage.

And as the country was struggling in a recession last year, "we hired more than 150 faculty members. ⦠We did not cut academic programs. We grew new sources of revenue with a giant leap in patents and licenses."

USF's "total awards for all contracts and grants exploded this decade. In 2000 it was $171 million. Today it is almost $400 million."

But she prompted two rounds of applause from her audience of about 500 when she brought up the Bulls football team and her selection as the first woman to chair the board of directors of the NCAA.

"I'm looking forward to my two-year term as chair, and I'm especially looking forward to ensuring that everyone around the nation knows how good the USF Bulls have become," she said.

Link

• Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

Our university has risen quickly and at such unprecedented pace.  I fully believe that before 2020, we will be known as the second best public university in the state of Florida right on the heels on the University of Florida, and easily among one of the top universities in the southeast-- to say nothing of our football program at that point :) 

In fact, I'm sure some would agree that we already are the second best public university in the state of Florida. 

• Content Count:  4,642

JU-DY! JU-DY! JU-DY!

• Content Count:  1,390

Our university has risen quickly and at such unprecedented pace.  I fully believe that before 2020, we will be known as the second best public university in the state of Florida right on the heels on the University of Florida, and easily among one of the top universities in the southeast-- to say nothing of our football program at that point :) 

In fact, I'm sure some would agree that we already are the second best public university in the state of Florida. 

It's grown tremendously in the last 10 years.

In the last 10 years:

Cypress Apartments

Magnolia/Holly apartments + Maple Hall

Bill Young Hall

Environmental Science Building

Even More recently:

New Marshall Center

Juniper-Poplar Dorms

New Athletics District

Interdisciplinary Sci Building

Visual & Performing Arts building

Campus Rec center expansion + dining hall attached to Sun Dome

That isn't even going into the Medical portion of campus either.

Plus throw in Big East athletics, higher admission standards and better academics across the board and it's pretty impressive!

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Hate to say it, but there's a law of diminishing returns that'll eventualy go into effect. We're going to plateau eventually, seeing what we do after that will be the real interesting part that'll allow us to become a top tier school, or not.

Archived