• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF sounds inviting from a students point of view . . . not

TBBull717

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  763
  • Days Won:  0

Just pulled up the Princeton Review on USF to pull up the student body key statistics and found the following.

"Hi, I'm from the Princeton Review. Tell me about your school so that I can put this in our yearly review so that hundreds of thousands of high school students can judge/determine whether or not they want to attend USF".

Univ. of South Florida Students Say...

This campus is "full of Floridians," and "flip flops are a mandatory staple in any USF student's wardrobe." That's about all that unites the undergraduate population. "The thing about the University of South Florida is that there is no typical student." This is "a very diverse population of students by any standard." "We come from very different ba...This campus is "full of Floridians," and "flip flops are a mandatory staple in any USF student's wardrobe." That's about all that unites the undergraduate population. "The thing about the University of South Florida is that there is no typical student." This is "a very diverse population of students by any standard." "We come from very different backgrounds and are headed in very different directions," says a senior. "Interests, talents, study habits, and hobbies vary greatly." "You've got the preps, the boozers, the druggies, the philosophers, the theater kids, etc." There are the "overachievers who like sit in circles and pat each other on the back." Other students "always wait until the last minute to complete assignments." "There is a large population of nontraditional and commuter students." A strong contingent works "at least part time." Many students "appear to be on a mission" and "just want to finish their school work and get out of here." There are "a lot of African Americans and significant Muslim, Hispanic, and international student minorities." "It is a beautiful thing to walk across campus and see so many different types of people," beams a sophomore. There is a lot of ethnic self-segregation, though. "It's awkward to see the group of black people hanging out in one corner while the Hispanics stand over there and the white kids sit at that table over there," observes a sophomore.

http://www.princetonreview.com/schools/college/CollegeStudents.aspx?iid=1022717

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Well, its the truth.

USF is a very Balkanized campus. Its not just along ethnic lines.  Greek versus non-greek.  Beef Studs versus non-studs. SG versus Oracle versus students.

My friends and I have talked about it, and the biggest enemy for our student body is itself.

• Content Count:  521

its the truth and i like it.

i went to private school my entire life before going to USF.  if i had gone to UF or FSU, for instance, i think it would have been way more homogenous than at USF.  UF and FSU would have been white boy/girl frat/sorority scene left and right, with the occasional minority or art history or chinese studies major.  At least at USF, i was able to see the entire world on one campus.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,765
  • Days Won:  3

Look at the cafeteria in high school...notice anything?

Now look at the cafeteria at the office. Hmmmm same sort of thing. It's just a natural segregation

that the chinese guys sit together and speak chinese, while the indians sit with other indians and

this goes on. Sure, there's some integration at some tables, but gravity does what gravity does.

What makes it 'awkward'?

If it were me...I'd get used to it. Trying to do the 'square peg, round hole' thing for some sort

of dictated positioning is destined for failure.

Face it, the business majors are not going to be breaking bread with the the hippies anytime soon.

Hey...didn't that 'hippie' thing die out about thirty years back? Where is that memo.....

• Content Count:  521

Look at the cafeteria in high school...notice anything?

Now look at the cafeteria at the office. Hmmmm same sort of thing. It's just a natural segregation

that the chinese guys sit together and speak chinese, while the indians sit with other indians and

this goes on. Sure, there's some integration at some tables, but gravity does what gravity does.

What makes it 'awkward'?

If it were me...I'd get used to it. Trying to do the 'square peg, round hole' thing for some sort

of dictated positioning is destined for failure.

Face it, the business majors are not going to be breaking bread with the the hippies anytime soon.

Hey...didn't that 'hippie' thing die out about thirty years back? Where is that memo.....

Yea but the point is that in college, it is nice to be exposed to everything.  You may not be everyone's friend, but at least there is diversity out there.  Not sure I can say that if I had attended Georgia Tech, for instance.

Archived