• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FAU "Home" Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Below is a part from Stewart Mandel's weekly article which dealt with FAU going for the field goal when down by 16 late against Michigan State.  The interesting part was that the game, played in Detroit, was an FAU home game.  This is a program with significant financial issues.

Apparently, Schnellenberger takes the "guarantee" part of the phrase "guarantee game" quite literally -- though this was actually an FAU home game (complete with an Owls logo at midfield) that the school voluntarily moved to Michigan State's backyard in hopes of netting more ticket sales. According to the Palm Beach Post, the school stood to make $2 million if all 65,000 seats sold out. Actual attendance was 36,124. And apparently everybody -- even the losing coach -- went home happy.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/09/12/new-quarterback-generation/3.html#ixzz0zPsn4mih

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,603
  • Days Won:  424

I wonder if it counts toward maintaining the 15K average to stay 1-A? .... and I'm surprised there weren't more MSU fans there.

• Content Count:  1,390
  • Days Won:  0

I wonder if it counts toward maintaining the 15K average to stay 1-A? .... and I'm surprised there weren't more MSU fans there.

East Lansing is pretty far from Detroit. The game wasn't included in the season ticket package so people had to pay an extra $50 to go watch them play FAU. Seriously, how many USF fans would there be if we played FAU in this same kind of situation but at Tropicana Field? 20k? If that.

East Lansing is pretty far from Detroit. The game wasn't included in the season ticket package so people had to pay an extra $50 to go watch them play FAU. Seriously, how many USF fans would there be if we played FAU in this same kind of situation but at Tropicana Field? 20k? If that.

I think we'd possibly have more than 20K there ... but a better analogy would be how many FSU fans would go to the Trop to see FAU.

• Content Count:  21,324
  • Days Won:  10

I am looking forward to the FAU game. 

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

It's actually not a bad idea if you are just trying to make money.....but I am surprised they haven't tried to do this with UM or USF. I mean they could rent Ray Jay or Sun Life just like we or Miami does. Or maybe they could do this with FSU using the Jacksonville stadium.

• Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

They're actually talking about it... FAU that is...

They already rent Sun Life when they play FIU... neither stadium will hold the crowd... though they won't this year because of the Ford Field game. The NCAA only allows one home game to be moved per year or something to that effect.

• Content Count:  1,390
  • Days Won:  0

I think we'd possibly have more than 20K there ... but a better analogy would be how many FSU fans would go to the Trop to see FAU.

We barely topped 20k for the bowl game at the Trop and it'd be pretty similar circumstances. And it's not a better analogy. FSU is 5 hours from St Pete. East Lansing is 1.5 hours from Detroit.

We barely topped 20k for the bowl game at the Trop and it'd be pretty similar circumstances.

With it not being the holidays and being a regular season game rather than a less than meaningless lower tier bowl game, I stll think we top 20K ...

And it's not a better analogy. FSU is 5 hours from St Pete. East Lansing is 1.5 hours from Detroit.

Actually, i was talking about a better analogy from the standpoint of MSU and FSU both being the 2nd most popular programs in their state, not the proximity from campus ...

Archived