• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Barrington to start at LB vs. Gators

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

It's a good thing he doesn't have to drive there.  ;)

SEPTEMBER 07, 2010

Barrington to start at LB vs. Gators

Times correspondent Kerry Klecic checks in from Tuesday's practice. ...

TAMPA -- Speed, speed and more speed — that was a constant thing USF coaches spoke of Tuesday when mentioning the No. 8 Florida Gators.

To help contain the Gators' quickness on offense, USF defensive coordinator Mark Snyder said sophomore middle linebacker Sam Barrington, who did not play in Saturday's opener until midway through the second quarter, will start instead of sophomore Mike Lanaris.

Lanaris, making his first start Saturday, had an interception, but Snyder said Barrington, who had 41 tackles last season while playing in every game, is a better matchup against Florida's speed. He said he plans to rotate the two this season.

"That's the good thing about us," Snyder said. "If we're playing a game that's spread out, throw it around, tackle in space, then Sam's going to play, but if it's going to be a rock 'em-sock 'em game, then Mike's going to play. And that's some of the depth that we have."

But Barrington isn't as concerned about the Gators' athleticism.

"Everybody knows Florida has speed," he said. "Everybody knows Florida is a No. 2 or No. 3 team in the nation. Everybody knows about that.

"South Florida has speed, too. They're a really good team. I feel like our speed is parallel with their speed. I don't feel like anybody is overwhelmed by their speed. Now, I'm not saying we're not going to go into the game smart and make sure we have everything contained in the defense."

Other notes: On Tuesday, USF's loudspeakers at practice blared loud crowd noise and the University of Florida band to help simulate what the atmosphere will be like at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. ... USF coach Skip Holtz said the place that needs most improvement this week is special teams, especially the kicking game. ... Offensive tackle Mark Popek, a sophomore from Plant City who started five of USF's last six games last season, is back practicing after suffering a knee injury Aug. 11 in fall camp. It's unlikely he'll play against Florida.

Posted by Greg Auman at 9:04:27 pm on September 07, 2010 in Football

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/barrington-start-lb-vs-gators

It would be nice if Popek can surprise and end up playing. Florida recruited him, but they never gave him an offer. I'm sure that he would have had some extra motivation to prove them wrong.

• Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

UF may be fast, but USF is probably the fastest defense in the Big East.  I'm glad Barrington will be on the field.  I hope he has his license issues taken care of. 

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Its one more starter then Florida has... their mascot for Saturday should be a band aid

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

Good Move by Snyder.  Im hoping this team gets even more motivated then before the FSU or Auburn game!

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

That note about kicking game needing most improvement.. really?  How about catching punts!

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

My prediction for the game :  Sam Barrington gets arrested again - Why you ask - because clearly he was driving the truck that ran over Dempsey.  ;D

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,667
  • Days Won:  29

Barrington will only make us stronger !

Go BULLS !!!

It would be nice if Popek can surprise and end up playing. Florida recruited him, but they never gave him an offer. I'm sure that he would have had some extra motivation to prove them wrong.

Surprise! Surprise!  ;D

Bulls OT Popek ready to return

The Tampa Tribune

Published: September 9, 2010

TAMPA Sophomore OT Mark Popek, who has been recovering from a sprained MCL in his right knee suffered early in fall camp, is fully recovered and expected to play against No. 6 Florida on Saturday, South Florida coach Skip Holtz said after practice Wednesday.

"He's been good," Holtz said. "He's been really strong. He's done a nice job - hasn't had a lot of swelling and everything."

Popek, who started five of USF's last six games last season, was competing for a starting spot before the injury, and he will rotate in as the "third tackle" Saturday behind senior starters Jacob Sims and Jamar Bass, Holtz said.

"That's tough to not practice for four weeks or do anything really and just jump back in," Popek said. "I'm starting to get used to it again."

Holtz said redshirt sophomore Danous Estenor will rotate in as the "third guard" Saturday behind starters Jeremiah Warren and Chaz Hine.

BARRINGTON READY: Defensive coordinator Mark Snyder said, in hopes of finding the right personnel to match Florida's spread offense, sophomore Sam Barrington will get the nod to start at middle linebacker.

"Coach Snyder, he's a coach and I'm his player. Whatever he asks me to do - if he tells me he wants me to play one snap and sit out 10, that's what I'm going to do," Barrington said. "He's the coach and I trust my coaches and my teammates to put me where I need to be."

Sophomore Mike Lanaris started the first game against Stony Brook, which brought more of a downhill running approach.

"That's the good thing about us," Snyder said. "If we're playing spread 'em out tackle in space (offenses), Sam's going to play. If it's going to be a rock 'em sock 'em game, Mike's going to play."

NOT SO FAST: Even though senior WR Dontavia Bogan returned kicks Saturday, Holtz said he's not sure if he'll keep Bogan back there so he can keep him fresh as a receiver.

"They told me he was 9 yards away from the school record so I let him get a couple in the opening game, then took him out," Holtz said. "I'm still not sure if I'll put him back there or not. He's the only receiver we have with any experience, and I would hate to lose him right now because that would be a pretty big blow to what we're trying to do as an offense."

Sophomore Kayvon Webster, sophomore Lindsey Lamar and freshman Terrence Mitchell all worked returning kicks Wednesday.

BULL BITS: As for punt return duties, Holtz said Wednesday he's leaning towards Mitchell. … A day after simulating crowd noise through speakers, the Bulls worked on simulating Florida's speed in practice Wednesday, with several scout-team players posing as Florida's main playmakers on offense:

"When you look at (junior RB Jeff) Demps (who ran a national-best 9.96 100-meter dash at the NCAA Track and Field Championships) and (junior WR Chris) Rainey, you have to get the speed on the perimeter, the speed in the backfield, and you have to turn and get the athletic quarterback."

Phil Neary

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/sep/09/bulls-ot-popek-ready-return/sports-colleges-bulls/

A couple of years ago, when Popek was asked which game he was looking forward to playing he said, "Florida."  ;D

Flashback on Popek:

Monday, January 14, 2008

Congrats to Mark Popek...

...Normally I don't stump for the site or for Larry Blustein because, as my father told me when I was young, work speaks for itself.

However, after reading about Plant City offensive tackle Mark Popek committing to USF over the weekend I have to say something.

When Larry Blustein saw Mark Popek over the summer at the Down & Dirty camp, he walked away impressed by his 6-foot-7 frame, his demeanor and his willingness to learn. He decided to publish an "In the Huddle" on him to see what would happen.

Mark's dad got a hold of the article and sent it to everyone he could. As more coaches read about tackle, they requested film and soon Troy offered...then Vanderbilt offered...then South Florida offered...then Illinois offered....A Florida offer was always rumored to come but the numbers didn't allow it.

Nonetheless from no offers in the summer to four Division 1-A offers by the end of the fall and now he's going to play 20 miles from his home.

This isn't going to be a plug for anything FloridaFB.com. The only thing we did was run a little story on him when no one else did. It was Mark's hard work and perseverence that brought him this opportunity and in turn he made us look good. Thanks Mark and congratulations.

http://floridafb.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html

Archived