• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF and Miami agree to home-and-home series

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

No QB and no defensive continuity and you expect to waltz into State College the first game back and end up with more points on the board after 4 quarters?

Did you watch any Penn State games this season? 14 points might be enough to meet that requirement.

Yes, the lack of focus/improvement on defense this season was upsetting. But at this point I'm going to file it under "aberration" given our history in that area, the general youth of the unit, and the fact that our recent good recruiting classes are going to start maturing here soon.

If we're halfway through next season and our defenders are still taking bad angles and arm-tackling, then I'll start worrying. But our staff is proven, and I think they'll get things straightened out.

We're in a big-time conference now. It's time we started acting like it. A bad Big Ten team should not be an insurmountable challenge.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459

Did you watch any Penn State games this season? 14 points might be enough to meet that requirement.

Yes, the lack of focus/improvement on defense this season was upsetting. But at this point I'm going to file it under "aberration" given our history in that area, the general youth of the unit, and the fact that our recent good recruiting classes are going to start maturing here soon.

If we're halfway through next season and our defenders are still taking bad angles and arm-tackling, then I'll start worrying. But our staff is proven, and I think they'll get things straightened out.

We're in a big-time conference now. It's time we started acting like it. A bad Big Ten team should not be an insurmountable challenge.

Well, you are correct that the Bulls will get better.  But will they be able to put it together on the road in their first game back?

You are a betting man.  My bet is if you were putting money on it you'd put it on the Penn State side.  There are just too many unknowns.

After a 2-2 start they need to win 4 of 7 of Louisville, WVU, Pitt, Cuse, Cinci, Rutgers, UConn...I only see 2 in that pile USF will be favored in.

Again, would you put your money on anything higher than 5-6 right now?  

They do need to start acting like it, but you are talking a LOT of improvements between here and Sept. 3rd.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Maybe playing Miami will be some motivivation for these guys to hit the gym an bulk up in the off season.  We looked awfully small against Pittsburgh, against Miami we will look like Corey Haim in "Lucas" out on the field.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

well if nothing else this game should light a fire under Denson to become the starter next year with the opportunity to play Miami at Miami, his hometown, with tons of family/friends able to come to the game.  It would be pretty embarrassing if he isnt on the field

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

times.gif

Bulls schedule series with 'Canes

The USF-Hurricanes home-and-home series begins in 2005 with UM coming to Tampa in 2006 or 2007.

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published December 24, 2004

TAMPA - For years, USF's young football team hasn't been able to measure its steady progress against the state's big three programs. The Bulls get their first shot next fall.

USF announced the final and biggest piece of its 2005 schedule Thursday, landing an impressive home-and-home series with Miami, starting with a trip to Miami in October.

"It's pretty aggressive," coach Jim Leavitt said of a schedule that not only features USF's first year in the Big East, but a season-opening road trip to Penn State as well. "The Big East is challenging enough by itself, but our schedule has really jumped incredibly strong. Hopefully, we'll be able to recruit well."

As part of the contract, the Hurricanes will make a trip to Raymond James Stadium, giving the Bulls arguably their biggest home game ever. The date will be set after the NCAA votes next month on whether to add a 12th game to schedules beginning in 2006.

"It's really important that it's a one-for-one. We wouldn't have considered it otherwise," Leavitt said. "I don't know how anyone could ask for a more exciting challenge than adding Miami, one of the best programs in the country, to a schedule that is already as challenging as our 2005 schedule will be."

And as the Bulls prepare to shift to facing Big East teams that are geographically distant from its fan base, the schedule reflects a new commitment to building in-state rivalries.

After playing just one Florida opponent in its first eight seasons, USF will have three next season, with home games against Florida A&M (Sept. 10) and Central Florida (Sept. 17) and the trip to Miami, which will be Oct. 1. The Bulls also are scheduled to play at Florida in 2008 and '09, and USF athletic director Doug Woolard said creating strong local rivalries has been a priority for him.

"I think sometimes people have gotten away from those things, but they have proven to create a great interest for fans," Woolard said. "This is going to be one of those. ... It adds credibility to our football program that we're able to schedule on a home-and-home basis a team like Miami."

Miami, which left the Big East to join the Atlantic Coast Conference this season, expressed the same desire to build a rivalry with the Bulls.

"The Bulls have developed into a very good football program in a very short period of time," Miami athletic director Paul Dee said.

USF played its first game in 1997, moving up to Division I football four years later. The Bulls played the past two seasons as a member of Conference USA and now face seven games each season against their new Big East rivals. USF is coming off a disappointing 4-7 season, its first losing record since going 5-6 in its inaugural season, but Leavitt has a 55-33 record as USF's only coach.

Landing Miami on the schedule could help the Bulls in recruiting, especially in the greater Miami area. USF's 2004 roster had 10 players from Miami, four from Fort Lauderdale and four from the surrounding area, and the Bulls continue to recruit the southern part of the state aggressively.

The Bulls have played non-conference games against high-profile programs such as Oklahoma and Alabama before, but nearly always without a home game in return. That may be the most significant change with the addition of Miami to a future home schedule.

If the NCAA approves the addition of a 12th game, the Hurricanes would logically be coming to Raymond James Stadium in 2006, but without the extra game, the return trip would be in 2007 at the earliest. Miami is already committed to five road games in 2006.

Story Link

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

congrats .... thats a big deal... we have a 2 for 1 scheduled with them.. but a 1 for 1 is big.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

And working on 1 for 1 with North Carolina per Trib article - way to go DW!

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  382

It's one thing to play these games, another to get embarrassed in them...

If you want the big recruits, you have to play the big games.  Would you rather play a 1AA and dominate or play a better opponent and hope to improve as a program?  I would rather see USF play great opponents and get better.  Even if that means losing.  We know we can beat 1AA teams.  FSU played anyone/anywhere when they were starting out and look where they are now.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

now schedule fsu 07/08

what great news

miami must have played UT in tampa  several times

it is a great oppurtunity for usf