• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF and Miami agree to home-and-home series

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

From the USF SID Office

USF and Miami agree to home-and-home football series

(December 23, 2004) Tampa, Fla. - The USF Bulls will play their first-ever road game in the State of Florida when they take on the five-time national champion Miami Hurricanes in the Orange Bowl Saturday, October 1, 2005. The game will be the first of a two-game series between the Bulls and Hurricanes. Miami will visit USF at Raymond James Stadium on a date to be determined after a January 2005 NCAA vote regarding 12-game seasons.

“It’s a testament to our football program that we are able to schedule a five-time national championship team on a home-and-home basis,” said USF Director of Athletics Doug Woolard. “I know our fans will enjoy the in-state rivalry that this series will create.”

University of Miami Director of Athletics Paul Dee said, “We’re pleased to play the University of South Florida. The Bulls have developed into a very good football program in a very short period of time. Next fall, USF will enter the Big East Conference and we think they will provide a great level of competition.”

With the addition of Miami to the 2005 schedule, USF will face three teams (Miami, Penn State and Pittsburgh) that have combined to win eight national championships.

In addition to a first-ever season of Big East football, USF will play three in-state teams in a four-week span, including to Miami, Florida A&M (Sept. 10) and UCF (Sept. 17). The Bulls open the 2005 season September 3 at Penn State.

“I don’t know how anyone could ask for a more exciting challenge then adding Miami, one of the best programs in the country, to a schedule that is already as challenging as our 2005 schedule will be,” said USF head coach Jim Leavitt. “If a young man wants to play against the very best football teams in the nation, he should definitely consider being a Bull. Our recruiting and our spring season will need to be the strongest they have ever been.”

Larry Coker, head coach at Miami, said, “The University of South Florida and head coach Jim Leavitt have put together a fine football program and we’re looking forward to an outstanding football game.”

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307
  • Days Won:  0

I'll consider this an early Christmas present.  I'm so excited!!

Guest wildrover

I have to think and hope that this will help recruiting, the fact that one of the best teams in the country is coming here is amazing.  Just think, it wasn't all that long ago a two game away series with FL was huge news, now we get one of the best to come here.  Hats off to Miami as well for not looking down their nose at us and making it a Pay Day game for us or doing what FL did and demand all the games be in the OB.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

AWESOME!

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Wow... booking my plane tickets next week! You gotta be kidding me! A home and home with the Canes! This is the one day where my roommate and I might come to blows! Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

This is the best Chritsmas gift ever! Wildrover is right on, the key is that UM agreed to come to our place for a game. Props to them, the Gaytors wouldn't do it.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

Very nice.  Hopefully we will be competitive in 2005.  

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

*HAPPY DANCE*

NAM37